Ant Invasion

A man who knows the words Clorox and Lysol and brings in the laundry.

MT, don’t forget to add water to that bleach! I think 1/10 bleach is plenty.

[quote=“chodofu”]The little fliying ones with white wings are called Bai Yi, my wife said they come from the wood (termites?). …
There gone. Chou 5 Bai yi 0. I hope they do not come back.
[/quote]

Where we live, at least, termites tend to swarm inthe spring. The ones with wings are essentially the scout termites, which establish new colonies. If you have them popping out in your huse, there’s probably a good change there are still colonies hiding in the woodwork. We apparently live on top of a giant termite hill in California and have had the house tented for wood-dwelling termites once and treated for subterranian termites twice in the last 2 years.

[quote=“braxtonhicks”]A man who knows the words Clorox and Lysol and brings in the laundry.

MT, don’t forget to add water to that bleach! I think 1/10 bleach is plenty.[/quote]

Is that a sexist comment. who was that earlier today on thhe JFK thing… uh, Tigerman? Can I sue for Braxtonchicks for sexual harassment?

Chou

If it’s termites you have, those are bad news if you own the place. They eat carpeting, doors, cabinets and a lot of time they do their damage without you even noticing.

One thing we did at home when they would come out was hold a bowl of water up to whatever light there were flying around and for some reason they were attracted to the water and drowned… maybe the reflection of the light. (and there, when it was the season, they would only come out to fly from 8pm to 9pm and it lasted about a month or so). Try that water thing and see if it works.

Its a rental and we are moving. But I’ll try the bowl thing and inform the landlord. Hard to imagine thats it termites though… but if you see me walikng around town with holes in my jeans, rest assured its not a fashion statement.

Chou

I foundt that for the very small ones, the trap does not seem to work. The bits are too big.
Once I found some liquid that I put near by their paths. It worked wonders. However, I have nnot ben able to find that liquid again.

Anyone have any ideas?

HOTTALA!!

Lead them into a false sense of security. Give them what they want, cakes, honey, binglang, baileys or what ever you think takes their fancy. Put it all in one corner of the room and let them feast for a couple of days. Once they are too involved with eat and retreval to notice anything suspicious, ATTACK with all the above suggested methods.
It’ll either wipe them all out or nourish their population to less contrallable heights.
We have tryed this in our house (an old ant prone Japanese house) and it does work, thou your problem appears worse than ours has ever been.
It’s do or die.

My old rooftop place had numerous ant attacks … from microsopic ants to the big 1cm-lonn variety. What i found worked every time was stuff called “Outchu” … a small blue bottle with a long spout to reach into holes. It’s a concentrated suger-water formulation with slow-acting poison. Just 3 or 4 drops places near the ants’ entrance was all it ever took to get rid of them – they eat the drops, so no need for them to venture further into the apartment, and they take the poison back to their nest to feed the young and the queen, where the poison takes effect. Of a 60cc container, I’ve only ever used about 1cc to fend off at least a dozen attacks. And no, they never come back from the same place.

Ah, the infamous Weapons of Mass Destruction. Hidden an Outcha bottle all this time.

Chou

[quote=“braxtonhicks”]A man who knows the words Clorox and Lysol and brings in the laundry.
[/quote]
I not only bring it in, I do the laundry! :laughing:
What, is knowing these words big news or something? :shock: :?

I hope they weren’t termites! E-gads!

Since I used the “Clorox” and “Lysol,” I have not seen them , however it could be something do to with the rainy weather recently also… I’m holding my breath they don’t come back…

Try AGro for the medium sized ants, it works wonders! Just remember once you put it down, don’t go near it and don’t touch it. Ants have a great sense and if suspect something they will warn all the other ants in the colony to stay away from it. I didn’t have much luck with this product either for the real small ants. Again bleach bleach bleach! Get rid of the ant scents!

I used to have ants so bad that one night, the first and up to recently the only time I cooked chez moi, there was hundreds of them following a trail up to a pot of food that I left out while I ate my supper thus spoiling any chances of using it for leftovers. I got fed up and tried Raid Ant traps seeing as there was no poisonous crystals for my sometimes very stupid cat to knock out of it like another brand of ant traps that he thought to be a new cat toy, but they made no difference…I went to my supposedly sealed IKEA sugar cannister and found ants in Ant Nirvana with no intentions of ever leaving there. Then the B.A.R.'s began appearing on a one a day basis…that’s Big-Ass Roaches in Imanispeak, aka eyeball cockroaches for the markings on their heads which freak me out. Fortunately I have a cat who thinks that they also make fun toys and plays with them until they die so that I don’t have to see them run, usually relieving them of a few legs in the process. At that point I gave up on traps and found some spray product I bought in a Watson’s or Cosmed that was WHO-approved to not be poisonous to mammals…came in a light green can and could be used as an insecticide, disinfectant, and air freshener, trying to avoid that tell-tale insecticide smell. I sprayed around my kitchen window where I had earlier seen a BAR hanging outside of then sprayed the areas where both the roaches and ants seemed to be coming from. Poured a whole bottle of unsoluted drain opener down the bathroom floor drain, shouting “Die you six-legged mother f_ckers” (pardon my Freedom, but I have a universal vendetta against insects that invade houses including roaches, ants, and ladybugs) because I had one run between my feet from there while I was brushing my teeth one night. After my cat left one roach dying, I took the can and emptied most of its remaining contents onto the vermin repeating my triumphant cry and then went to bed satisfied with my revenge having been served and found it properly relieved of its life the next morning and disposed of its carcass. Only have seen two since then, knock on wood, and that was over a month ago. Have only spotted one medium-sized dead and one BAR that my cat took care of while I watched from a safe distance in my office and cheered him on then screamed at him for letting it go into my living room. Found it later in the hallway and took back all the swearing I did at the cat the night before. But the nice thing was that after the spraying with the green can, I only found ant carcasses everywhere, kinda gross to have to clean up, but I have not seen any more ants since then.

Long story, less long, I don’t remember the name of the spray, but it has a kind of citrus-y smell is called an X- something I think, says all over it that it’s WHO-approved, is a insectide/disinfectant/air freshener, comes in a light green can that has pictures of insects on it (I can’t stand to even look at a silhouette of a drawn cockroach and had to turn that side to the wall) and it does the job very well.

Tsk tsk, ImaniOU, dont you know the difference between the hai chiong (

All I know is that my junior year of college my dorm room was infested by brownish orange ladybugs. I had to fish one out of my roommate’s ear (who was my best friend or else I would have had to say no) and our room reeked of fried beetles from them flying into the halogen lamp. I swore they were Japanese beetles, but everyone said that was impossible. All I know is that industrial-strength hairspray was the only thing effective at killing them.

Sounds more like Japanese beetles than ladybugs to me.

Lady bugs are cool.

[quote=“JeffG”]I not only bring it in, I do the laundry! :laughing:
What, is knowing these words big news or something? :shock: :?
[/quote]

Well, the only time my husband ever uses the word “laundry” is when he asks, “What’s going on with this laundry?!” If he’d just get me the darned washer and dryer he’s been promising me, he wouldn’t be tripping over my sorted little piles waiting to be washed and hung and folded and put away. I’ m so easy to please–no need for flowers, perfume or jewelry–I just want real life-sized appliances!

Today I noticed hundreds if not a thousand ants coming into our home, for no apparent reason. Has anyone else experienced an increase in the amount of ants? It seems they had a destination, but I can’t figure out what they are after. It seems they wanted to build a home as they were carrying something with them. But, I am not sure. There in my living room and also kitchen, I haven’t had an ant problem in almost 18 months. Is there an earthquake coming or it is something to do with the approaching storm. Also they avoid all ant traps, I have tried all of them and they just go right around them as if they don’t even exist.

Yes, I’ve seen lots more ants in the last few days. Maybe they have a breeding season or something.

I’ve suffered from similar ant invasions in the past. The most effective trap I found is sold in Wellcome. It’s a small green plastic house into which you lay the supplied poison. It’s always worked for me, but you can attract them into it more by adding something sweet like honey to the poison.

I believe that ultrasonic insect repellers, while they probably don’t work for mosquitoes, have a better record with ants, cockroaches and other crawling insects.

Some ants go for grease instead of sugar. Different species, different tastes. If they aren’t homing in on sugary stuff, you might try mixing poison (boric acid is supposedly useful) into bacon grease or similar.

The third major category is wood-eating ants. If you have those, you’re gonna have to call an exterminator fer shure.