Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

You’d think so. At a minimum you’d have a description on the assailant. Most often they may never find the guy I guess. They have to have a suspect to prosecute them.

Murder they can try to figure out a motive is one thing.

coughAziz Ansaricough

To be fair, I don’t think the bravely anonymous accuser who appeared to be bereft of any personal agency was drunk.

However, if being a clumsy, selfish, and inconsiderate lover is a crime then a large percentage of both sexes are in trouble.

1 Like

5 Likes

Wow, Asia Argento sounds like a monster.

I can’t read it unfortunately. But looking at his documentaries, I can now sadly see the signs of depression :cry:

1 Like

@Andrew0409

The show’s longtime director got sick at the last moment and Bourdain saw an opportunity. Argento would direct the episode. His usual crew had no choice but to go along with it, but very quickly everything started to fall apart as she upended the process they had been perfecting for years.

We see Argento call “cut” as Bourdain is interviewing a pair of asylum-seekers over a late-night meal. They reset and shoot the scene again as if it’s take two of a fictional movie and not the type of real, heartfelt conversation for which the show was known. “He would have never, ever done that,” producer Helen Cho recalls with a combination of disappointment and disgust.

On top of hiring his girlfriend to direct, the host decided to fire his veteran cinematographer Zach Zamboni—who won three Emmy Awards for his work with Bourdain—after he clashed with Argento about the shoot. He brought in the legendary Wong Kar-wai collaborator Christopher Doyle to replace him. “When Tony fired Zach, it was a huge red flag,” Cho says. “Because if he’s going to do that to someone like him, anyone in the inner circle is essentially disposable.”

It seems Bourdain was burning bridges left and right during this time. “He said some shit to me that really fucking pissed me off,” his friend and mentee David Chang says, before hesitating. “You know, fuck it, Tony said I would never be a good dad,” he reveals, tearing up. “That fucking hurt.” He acknowledges that Bourdain was probably “projecting” and that deep down he was upset with himself for not being the “romantic idea” of what a father should be for his own young daughter.

The implication of the film is that Bourdain became “addicted” to Argento in the same way he was hooked on heroin earlier in his life. He would do anything for her, from admirable pursuits like becoming an outspoken advocatefor the Time’s Up movement after she accused Harvey Weinstein of rape or destructive ones like allowing her to completely transform the show he had spent his career building. CNN ultimately pulled Argento’s episodes of the showafter she was accused of sexually assaulting a minor herself.

“You don’t want his legacy to become some who succumbed to this darkness,” Tenaglia says. “That wasn’t him. He created something that was so important. That was the legacy of his life, not the stupid bullshit he did at the end.”

That “stupid bullshit” came to a head in Strasbourg, France, where Bourdain and Ripert were filming an episode of Parts Unknown that would never air. According to the crew members who were there with him, he was furious over tabloid photos that implied Argento was cheating on him with a French reporter. Five days later, he took his own life in his hotel room.

There’s more to it, but that’s the key parts from the latter half of the article. And ‘The Daily Beast’ is usually pretty “woke” so this is even more damning coming from them.

1 Like

Just sad, people who need help often find the most toxic people in their life.

2 Likes

In the last couple of episodes and interviews you can see he was sick, drinking a lot, substance abuse issues. That wasn’t mentioned in the article strangely enough.
And he was a heroin addict who had long struggled with his addiction.
Also overwork is a genuine killer .

What a waste. Tony had 100 times the heart and talent of that 2nd-rate Italian actress…

2 Likes

Someone is still not happy with Bourdain’s trip to Taiwan.

These sorts of shows have local fixers and location scouts. Especially in 2003. I’m sure all the information and places he visited where planned by local Taiwanese. You could see by his face he was unhappy being shipped from one friends restaurant to another.

The editing also showed the timeline to be more compressed than it was in real life.

My favourite show on Taiwan is Andrew Zimen. It really shows how disappointed he was about what he was shown. The face and editing when he vomited at the tofu house :joy:

2 Likes

I don’t know. I got through about a third of the article and it just came off as another touchy ABT nitpicking (or being “turtle hair”) about a bunch of very minor complaints he’s been stewing about for a decade. Who cares what night market he went to? They all serve the same sausage-in-a-sausage crap.

2 Likes

Well… that old Andrew Zimmern show was about experiencing/eating the most “gross” food in a country. So, stinky tofu kind of fits that bill.
Kind of proud that Taiwan was the first (that I remember from watching that food series show of his) to kick his arse, as he couldn’t finish it. Hell, I beat (and others here) him and can eat it. ha ha.

I’m sure that is something to be proud of for some.

Andrew Zimmern > Anthony Bourdain (though I did like Bourdain, he sometimes got too pretentious in his long-winded monologues…. Zimmern was more like “oh that insect has twenty legs… let me eat it alive and see what it tastes like!”)

2 Likes

Wow… To each their own, of course. But I’m truly surprised anyone would have Zimmern ahead of Bourdain. The latter is a legend. The former, meh.

A legend who went out like a coward. “Legend”? What does that even mean? I like them both, but it was disappointing how Bourdain chose to go out (especially as he had a kid) and it’s easier to watch clips of Zimmern chowing down on weird shit than getting in the head-space for one of Bourdain’s hit-or-miss monologues about rustic beauty.

1 Like

I remember you defending his decision to suicide, now he was a coward? Which one is it?

1 Like

Andrew Zimmern loved visitng Taiwan and the weirder the better, it helped to make his show popular. He has been to Taiwan loads of times. I saw him doing Keelung night market on a crazy busy steaming Summer night (in person), no faking there. Keelung has extremely unusual seafood to put it mildly.

The tofu that he was asked to eat was the foulest you could get, black stuff. I would have retched just smelling and looking at it.
I’m not a fan of parts of his series because he was eating some rare animals in some cases.