Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

The term he used was “meat in tube form.”

Yes.

I am really tired of the term SJW. It is such a lazy comeback. You are one step away from claiming that Anthony Bourdain killed himself because Asia Argento is a slut. You’ll say that’s not what you’re saying but it is what you mean.

I’m not. I’ve clarified that multiple times.

Ehh sorry Gain I thought you were male originally and then I thought somebody said you were female. Mea culpa. Must be somebody else I was thinking of.

1 Like

We live in gender fluid times. I knew a guy, took a bus to New York city, shaved his legs and then he was a she.

3 Likes

And has probably gone through several iterations since then…

The only one who’s used that term here is you, twice now.

It’s not civil to unilaterally ascribe unexpressed meanings to people’s statements.

1 Like

He used it too, he just missed the word justice.

He did it first.

I never said anything about Kate Spade.

I get your point, but that’s not quite the same thing. If we’re going down that road, we’ll have to go all the way back to your first post on the topic, when someone had made a simple comment about AB’s possible mental state at the time of his suicide, and you ascribed considerably more to it.

1 Like

Wow, sounds like a walk on the wild side

1 Like

And, honestly people, SO F’ING WHAT!

He was a writer/Tv show host about travel and food. There are enough people who die from truly terrible reasons, from murder to disease to starvation, may of them in the countries that this guy traveled too.

That he killed himself doesnt tell us much abut him,but the endless argument/analysis about WHY oh WHY? with such a supposedly great life tells us a lot about ourselves.

Does no one recall the ballad of Richard Corey? Seems like people never change, always curious about the rich and famous and to hell with the other 99%.

Who the hell is Richard Corey?

1 Like

A bit on your high horse, aren’t you?

Yes, it’s true that hundreds are dying in Syria on a daily basis. And that’s tragic, of course. But the sad reality is I can’t fake a connection and thus feel deep loss for those who’ve had no impact on my life. Did you grieve for my old high school teacher who died a month ago? Probably not, since you weren’t even aware of him. So while you can feel sad about sad news stories, you can’t forge a connection to an anonymous person in the obits. Bourdain did impact me through his books and TV shows for the past 15 years, so I do feel a sense of loss since that has been silenced. Not as great as I would if someone I personally knew died, but it’s still there. Am I supposed to feel guilty about that? If I grieved for everyone who died every day I’d never get out of bed again.

And yes, Richard Cory is a fantastic poem. I’ve taught it in my poetry class before.

Richard Cory
Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
“Good-morning,” and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich – yes, richer than a king –
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

From 1897, also source material for the Simon and Garfunkel song of the same name

Ah, Richard Cory. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I liked him, read his book. I’m 59, so I’ve still two years to go!

It’s highly unlikely that this is the case. However, it is highly likely that the root cause of him taking his own life was depression or some mental disorder. Not the ONLY factor, though. We’ve been banging away at the possible reasons for suicide since Socrates and probably before. The results haven’t been positive.

Blaming Asia Argento is pointless and morally* wrong.

*Ethically, not necessarily technically.

The brother of Alice? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsrfovOPcjk

Was he on any meds I wonder
Some meds can augment emotional disorders

He won’t be missed by many he was not popular with vegetarians after encouraging the killing of animals and eating of live fish. Good luck on his voyage downwards!

I don’t know about that. I wasn’t a fan, but he seemed pretty damn popular to me.