Anti-Japanese Protests in China

the us has moved on. china could learn a thing or two.

Here’s a link to those 17 Japanese apologies since the war.

Notice that the textbook issue has been around since 1982.

I would be hard pressed to name all the states given a map of the United States. But given a map of Asia, I think I could name all the countries. By the way, didn’t you have the Feynman avatar? Liked that one much better. Who cares if nobody else recognized him?![/quote]

One comment I would like to make about is that people in Taiwan are sadly not knowledgeable about their own country’s history because they have been forced for the past 55 years to learn about China’s history and geography. The KMT suppressed the history of Taiwan and even today there is little taught about Taiwan in the schools. This has been the China Nationalist Party’s method of colonizing Taiwan by Sinification. The current government has been making steps to change this, but without a majority in the Legislature they can only do so much.

I find it strange that the international press is not pointing out about Communist China’s textbooks. China should fear putting the spotlight onto Japanese textbooks, lest someone analyze theirs.

I am sick to death of Chinese demands and how many fing times do we have to deal with the feelings of the Chinese people which have naturally been hurt. This apology we gave because their fucking pilot could not fly and now this pressure on Japan. I think that it is time we called China’s bluff and said enough is enough. Let us open a direct NATO style alliance and group Japan, Korea, Taiwan, the Philippines, SE Asia, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Central Asia and maybe even Russia and let us also group together with our European allies so that the economic play off does not continue and let us just say, time to grow up. The sullen teenager routine no longer works for any of us.

Here here, or hear hear, orwhateverthefukitistheysay, more beer, more beer, over here!

Well, at least since Rambo: First Blood Part II. :laughing:

Seriously, you think China is pushing the envelope by giving the Japanese no face over these protests and every other bone of contention? Just you wait and see what happens when China vetoes Japanese membership of the Security Council.

[quote=“zhujianlun”]Just you wait and see what happens when China vetoes Japanese membership of the Security Council.[/quote]Just you wait and see what happens when they get tired of using the Japanese as the whipping boy and start in on US hegemony ad nauseum ad infinitum.
You can see they are not afraid to bite the hand that feeds them…

Chinese Nationalism will be the Chinese Communist Parties downfall. If they know what is good for them they will stop pissing off the USA and Japan. I think the Chinese Communist Party is in serious jeopardy if they are resorting to such stupidity. If they again turn their IRE to the United States it will only futher embolden the USA to get behind Taiwan. I am all for this and I am cheering on those sick punks looting and rioting Japanese targets in China. You won’t see any more Japanese tourists going there for a while and hopefully more will come to Taiwan. Golden Week is coming in Japan that was bad timing for the tourist industry in China. Now we need them to turn their anger towards Caucasians and then towards Taiwan expats living in working in China. Woo, no more businessmen traveling there. It will be like Indonesia after the ethnic Indonesians attacked the Chinese people and businesses in that country. The Chinese fled with their businesses and capital. Come China, rise up with more Nationalistic fervor.

It’s too early for the Kick the Foreigners (and Taiwanese Compatriots Who Aren’t Supportive of Unification) Out campaign. I think it’s coming eventually, but what is this rioting about? What domestic catastrophe is the CCP afraid of that made it dream up this rioting? Or is there a little alarm clock in the politburo that went “Ding-a-ling-a-ling!!! Country-unifying nationalist riot o’clock!!!”

Didn’t we just have anti-American riots?

[quote=“Diablo”]Here’s a link to those 17 Japanese apologies since the war.

Notice that the textbook issue has been around since 1982.[/quote]

And here’s one of them, quoted on that reliable source of information (God knows, it’s Japan - it might be for real!!!)

:laughing: That’s a bit bloody rich considering the maturity with which the United States deals with its loss in Vietnam. Thirty years on and you still insist on digging up the countryside looking for bone fragments. Only recently (Clinton era, I gather) were relations normalised. Prior to that it was sulk sulk sulk. Sulk sulk sulk and sulk ad nauseam. Please don’t lecture ‘us’ on the sullen teenager stuff, you sanctimonious hypocrite. Thank you for your attention Freda; please don’t cry. There’s a good teen.

BroonArtifacts

Watching the protest as they ‘spontaneously’ occur and are mearly ‘allowed’ to happen I couldn’t help but think of the ‘two minute hate’ in George Orwell’s 1984. For anybody who is interested the BBC are running an 8 part reading of 1984 over the next eight weeks. The programmes are available to listen to for the week after they are broadcast. The link is here. The first episode was on Friday. If you want to download it and listen to it at your own leisure, I believe that if you use the software application Audacity available through this forumosa.com thread, then you may be able to do so. Not sure about the legality of this though :wink:
(but I doubt the beeb will really mind)

Broon Ale:

I have no idea what you are talking about. You bitch about us supporting the Khmer Rouge in one thread but then demand that we normalize relations with Vietnam in another to prove that we are a bigger spoiled teenager than China. Why don’t you ask anyone in any neighboring country what they think of the Chinese and their intentions. Anyway, I know that for you, this is all nothing but a joke but some of us take it quite seriously. If we have made mistakes, it is because we live in an imperfect world, but doing so does not make us unredeemably bad nor in the same league as 90 percent of the rest of the world. Just a point of clarification. AND don’t you find the pro-American attitudes in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos just well confusing. That is if you subscribe to your views on the conflict. Strange then that so many Vietnamese and Cambodians are so positive about America isn’t it while older allies like the Koreans and Japanese are less so, but then we have seen the same behavior from our Long-term friends and allies in Western Europe while those in the East… I think that you get the picture.

I really do wish and how I do wish this were possible that for each and every person who views the US so negatively that they would have to spend five years in a communist country and NOT know that at in five years they would be able to leave. That kind of hopelessness is something that everyone on the left should enjoy. After all, isn’t that exactly the system that they have supported all these decades. Filthy scum.

Now that is a useful link. In what way is it alleged that Japan’s apologies are less adequate than those offered by Germany?

Now that is a useful link. In what way is it alleged that Japan’s apologies are less adequate than those offered by Germany?[/quote]

Well, if a Japanese Premier apolgizes, he later goes to some shrine for mass-murderers (favourable the guys who were involved in blood, gore and violation) and pray for their blessing.

And they quickly publish 10 school books and 20 history books stating it is cool to have slain the Chinese.

If they would restrict this to the commie party chiefs, it would be okay to me! Japanese! Listen! You lost, cannot do a thing about it. Swallow it down and you will feel better.

Now that is a useful link. In what way is it alleged that Japan’s apologies are less adequate than those offered by Germany?[/quote]

I heard a British ex-POW on the telly once explain the importance of the use of a certain word meaning “sorry” and he went on to say that the language used by Japan to date meant “we regret” or “we agree we did a bad thing” but stopped short of being a contrite apology. It appears to be a semantic issue. I don’t speak Japanese so it’s all over my head, I’m afraid.

[quote=“fred smith”]

I have no idea what you are talking about. You bitch about us supporting the Khmer Rouge in one thread but then demand that we normalize relations with Vietnam in another to prove that we are a bigger spoiled teenager than China. [/quote]

Fido, there is no contradiction in what I said. You, by saying the above, are equating the Vietnamese Communists with the Khmer Rouge. They were markedly different. My comment on the sullen teenage reaction was contrasting your disdain for such behaviour with the collective sulkiness of the USA at having lost a war. There is no contradiction in complaining about your support of the KR and demanding normal relations with Vietnam. It is just more of your same rigid, sanctimonious, we-can-do-no-wrong vitriol and doesn’t wash.

Fancy a drink when you get back?

BroonAngkor

I heard a British ex-POW on the telly once explain the importance of the use of a certain word meaning “sorry” and he went on to say that the language used by Japan to date meant “we regret” or “we agree we did a bad thing” but stopped short of being a contrite apology. It appears to be a semantic issue. I don’t speak Japanese so it’s all over my head, I’m afraid.[/quote]

Not sure if it’s true, but I believe the complaint is that all the apologies are only personal expressions of regret, not an apology by the country. Also, they are always couched in some sort of generic or theoretical regret for war, with the context of “well everybody did it” or “everybody was a victim.”

If somebody finds a straightforward, specific, public, documented apology by the country of Japan, I’d like to know.

But it won’t matter that much whether such a thing exists because it’s well known from other things that a large part of Japan doesn’t exactly reject the very basis on which it went to WWII (or even know much about WWII). I’m sure Germany isn’t thrilled to talk about it, too. The only difference I see is most of Germany’s victim states have taken their turn punishing Germany so don’t care about apologies any more.

What an ignorant response.

It is not a shrine FOR mass murderers. The fact that there ARE mass murderers buried there does not mean anyone is going there to worship THEM.

And which school books say that it is cool to slay the Chinese? Some may gloss over the details (much the way China has done with its most gruesome events). But I have never heard of one that praises the killing of Chinese. Please cite one for us.

Slightly off topic, but on the theme of trite apoligies, this classic from Tony Blair:

“And the problem is, I can apologise for the information that turned out to be wrong, but I can’t, sincerely at least, apologise for removing Saddam”

Yes, I can walk to John O’Groats, but that doesn’t mean I will, or that I have.