Anti-Pollution Mask for Scooting

Where could I get one and what should I get?

I’ve seen on more than one occation a guy biking around with what appeared to be a whole gas mask setup. I’m not sure if that was too extreme or not, but I definitely want to find something.

Is there a small mask thingy that would filter the air for that city driving. It can be pretty nasty.

Some quick googling before bed:

icanbreathe.com/
cyclexpress.co.uk/categories … ks_677.asp

Looks like I want some kind of carbon filter dilly. I just need to know where I can pick one (some?) up and how much it’s gonna run me.

I want the real deal thing. Not a Hello Kitty pink wonder mak.

I’ve got a small carbon filter mask but I always forget to wear it. I got it from the Gochen shop in Taichung.

For the Taipei area, check out the places mentioned in this post by Kawasaki Rider and Awol’s post below it;
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 184#408184](Looking for a bike mask, or parts

[Edit: I’ll quote those posts here. Useful information to add to Vroom, vroom.][quote=“KawasakiRider”]I know of 2 places that sell them. One is at Wang Shin on the corner of Hoping and Ninpo Road in Taipei. They sell all kind of motorcycling gear. The other place is in Chung/Yonghe it is down the street from the Ching-An MRT station on the orange line. The store is called Maximum. PM me if you need more detail directions.[/quote][quote=“AWOL”]Boutique De Velo listed on the formosanfattire site has them[/quote]

Big bike shops will sell more elaber … uhh…elaberate … err…that’s not right…erm…

Ahem…big bike shops will sell higher quality masks like the ones you describe.

[quote=“Mordeth”]Big bike shops will sell more elaber … uhh…elaberate … err…that’s not right…erm…

Ahem…big bike shops will sell higher quality masks like the ones you describe.[/quote]
Cool. I’ll check some out in the Yonghe area.

MK, I really hate to put a damper on your enthusiasm for the newlyfound hobby, but a medical doctor* here has told me that only really heavy-duty masks will do the job, the kind that will make it impossible to perform any other activity except being still while wearing it. Anything that you can wear and ride at the same time is not effective at all and is there primarily to make you feel better about doing something, according to him.

I don’t like posting bad news :frowning:
Will somebody please dispute this with some good arguments, so life can be pink and bubbly again :slight_smile:

*lived, studied and worked in US, came here to open private practice, for those who prefer those kind of credentials

I have a feeling I’d be better with than without. I also read somewhere that because when cycling you breath hard (sometimes) the masks don’t work so well because they either decrease air intake or you end up breathing around them.

I think it should be different for scootering (I’ve never caught myself breathing very hard).

Or maybe I’ll just get one of these dillies and roll around like the Intel dudes.

approvedgasmasks.com/suit-responderA.htm

I worked for years in boatbuilding/ repair, so I’m dead already, :frowning: but for the rest of you all, maybe this will help:

cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/default.html

I always thought those things looked gay as hell. (Like Michael Jackson wearing a surgical mask to hide some f’d up plastic surgery job) Then today I rolled up on a blue truck’s six and got a facefull of black diesel exhaust. I wouldn’t have minded wearing some type of mask.

I want one that will make me sound like Darth Vader breathing.

Huh? make you sound like Darth Vader breeding? With whom?

Remember them N-95 masks that sold like hotcakes during SARS?

:smiley:

pgiinc.com/toxicdustmask.html

I remember there being some pimped out 3M mask that was sold during SARZ.

I checked out Maximum, the place over off the Orange line. No masks.
I checked Boutique de Velo in IDEE. No masks.

I know that Gochen in Taichung used to have them, as did a BMW dealership on the west side of the city, anyone KNOW that either still does?

I know they’re not getting all of the pollutants, or maybe even most, but they get a lot… enough that the filter looks nicotine stained after repeated use… enough that I feel the difference. Please, can anyone confirm where they can be bought, for sure. I’ve spent enough time chasing phantoms.

They’ve got some cool looking 1000nt ones for sale here in Chung-Li. They’re made by Honda. And come with replaceable filters. And did I mention it actually looks cool?

[quote=“Mordeth”]They’ve got some cool looking 1000nt ones for sale here in Chung-Li (Zhongli).[/quote]Where in Zhongli?

close to Tao-yuan city…in Tao-yuan province. By train it’s about 10min south/west of Tao-yuan.

Do you have the address for the store? I’m in Taoyuan, but I’m tired of running around looking for stores. Please… an address, and directions if you could. thanks.

Do you have the address for the store? I’m in Taoyuan, but I’m tired of running around looking for stores. Please… an address, and directions if you could. thanks.[/quote]

Well if you are coming down the #1 (for scooters) from Tao-yuan. When you first start entering Chung-Li look for a BMW dealership on the right side on the corner of a big intersection. You then hang a right…and it’s one of the first shops after the BMW dealership.

One more time. The shop is called Autobike…they are just off of the #1 normal road. When heading into Chung-Li from Tao-Yuan…you’ll pass a Mc.Donalds on your right…then a gas station on your left…then only 1 or 2 more intersections until a big BMW dealership on the corner…you turn right there…and it’s the second shop down on the right side after the dealership.

Their number is 03-433-3232.

They’ve got a lot of cool shit there. People head down from Taipei just to shop there. Good mechanics as well…

Thank you, Mordeth. I’m going to check it out the first chance I get.

Long after edit: Nah, what they had looked like some kind of hood. Not what I was after.