Anti War Protests in Taiwan?

I don’t get this reference to Birkenstocks … I hate them myself but why do people associate them with I guess the hippy trail ???

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”]OK, TC, if it’s posters you want, it’s posters you’ll get…
[/quote]
D.B. -
I like that…good one! :bravo:

Um, isn’t it a bit after the horse has bolted to hold an anti-war protest opposing a war that’s pretty much been and gone?[/quote]

Been and gone? Do you not read the newspapers? Or do you think it is all peace and flowers now? The American death tally is at 1500… lord knows what the Iraqi one is “coz this time we ain’t counting”. The vast majority of these deaths have occurred subsequent to the American adminstration declaring that major operations are over.

I’m interested.

[quote=“sandman”]There’s a big protest on Sunday to protest China’s anti-secession law, which lays the legal groundwork for a Chinese invasion of Taiwan should Taiwan declare independence.
You could always wear your Birkenstocks to that, Slim.
Oh, wait, that’s no good to you, is it? Being as it would be a “legal” invasion and being as how the commies are the “good guys,” right?[/quote]
Good one…

newamericancentury.org/publi … eports.htm

The link leads to the official PNAC (the Bush thinktank). The last one on the page is called

Rebuilding America’s Defenses: Strategy, Forces and Resources For a New Century

It is a 90 page document PDF format. If you search for “saddam” you can get a couple of references to my previous comments.

Well, you’d better get your spleen vented fast Slim, because as soon as Rascal sees this it’ll be floundered, split or moved. There are hundreds of PAGES of posts on this subject already. Check the rules before you post, specifically the rules pertaining to starting new threads on topics that already exist.
And watch out for Fred and his buddies. From the looks of things, you just 'aint got enough.

You are right … I do apologise but my initial question did refer to an aspect that I hadn’t seen covered. But I think I have my answer now.

Actually, this issue is not nearly as clear-cut as you suggest.

Goddamned idiot hippies. Almost enough to make me start rooting for the Right.

Care to tell me which to states or nations are involved in this open hostile conflict? 'cause it sure as shit ain’t Iraq vs the Coalition of Bush’s Mates. You may’ve noticed they’re not fighting IRAQ anymore, but retarded dickheads who think that killing their fellow Iraqis and beheading aid workers is La Resistance.

Don’t get me wrong mate, I was all against the invasion and war, but I think that ship has sailed. Put down the hookah and get with the program.

Goddamned idiot hippies. Almost enough to make me start rooting for the Right.

Care to tell me which to states or nations are involved in this open hostile conflict? 'cause it sure as shit ain’t Iraq vs the Coalition of Bush’s Mates. You may’ve noticed they’re not fighting Iraq anymore, but retarded dickheads who think that killing their fellow Iraqis and beheading aid workers is La Resistance.

Don’t get me wrong mate, I was all against the invasion and war, but I think that ship has sailed. Put down the hookah and get with the program.[/quote]

Tetsuo…coooome cloooser…come cloooser to the riiight.

we have beer here tooooo.

coooooome

:slight_smile:

Sorry, but he’s a Kiwi and we are left of center (centre).

Try a New Zealand beer :smiley:

[quote=“Bassman”]Sorry, but he’s a Kiwi and we are left of center (centre).

Try a New Zealand beer :smiley:[/quote]

cooooold beeeer

gooooood:)

Actually, this issue is not nearly as clear-cut as you suggest.[/quote]

I don’t think that article did much to change anything. It word-played its way through continually drawing reference to anticipatory self-defense. The Bush/Blair adminstration knew and publicly stated that Iraq posed no threat so just where was this anticipated attack supposed to come from?

Actually, this issue is not nearly as clear-cut as you suggest.[/quote]

I don’t think that article did much to change anything. It word-played its way through continually drawing reference to anticipatory self-defense. The Bush/Blair adminstration knew and publicly stated that Iraq posed no threat so just where was this anticipated attack supposed to come from?[/quote]

Its the new age. The new nuclear age.

In this new nuclear age, where bad guys actively seek possession of a nuke and intend to use it when they get it… the old notion of pre-emptive right has necessarily changed. In the old nuke age, assured mutual destruction held hostiles at bay. There is nothing to hold the new bad guys at bay. Thus, pre-emptive measures, including war, are necessary.

It would be idiotic to wait to be attacked with a nuke. We’re not talking about a foreign army amassing at our border… we’re talking about some guy with a briefcase hiding a nuke.

Damn dude, we’re so far left of centre even our centre is left-wing :laughing:

[quote=“Tigerman”]
Its the new age. The new nuclear age.

In this new nuclear age, where bad guys actively seek possession of a nuke and intend to use it when they get it… the old notion of pre-emptive right has necessarily changed. In the old nuke age, assured mutual destruction held hostiles at bay. There is nothing to hold the new bad guys at bay. Thus, pre-emptive measures, including war, are necessary.

It would be idiotic to wait to be attacked with a nuke. We’re not talking about a foreign army amassing at our border… we’re talking about some guy with a briefcase hiding a nuke.[/quote]

I understand your premise but with that said, you are basically saying that the USA (or indeed any country) has the right to attack any country that has nuclear weapons and which they deem be a threat. In which case can we all attack America? :loco:

But ok then, I’ll state my question again, what nuclear threat did Iraq pose to the USA?

there are some activities coming up in the region that you may be interested in…

or if marches and protest actions are more up your alley, the WTO will meet in Hong Kong this December. You know how it works, if you want peace, fight for justice.

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.php?story=20050221082653216

best of luck…

As somewhat of a lefty peace activist sort (a thinking one though), I have to say it is amazing how often I agree with Fred Smith.

What would the purpose be?
To say that America should leave iraq immediately?
To say that America shouldn’t have invaded two years ago?
To tell the world that we think America sucks but we do not have
any ideas about what we can do about it?

Come on people :unamused:

The marches and protests of two years ago served a purpose, they may have been ignored by the powers that be, but they brought people together to think of more creative ways to promote peace.

A pointless march and aimless protest would indeed make the pro-peace crowd look pretty foolish

[quote=“ididn’tdoit”]What would the purpose be?
To say that America should leave Iraq immediately?
To say that America shouldn’t have invaded two years ago?
To tell the world that we think America sucks but we do not have
any ideas about what we can do about it?

Come on people :unamused: [/quote]
Yes yes yes yes YES! Nail on the head! That’s kind of what I was getting at before - what exactly do you hope to achieve by protesting against an invasion that happened two years ago? What, are you going to demand the US put to use that secret time-travel project they’ve been working on, send Bush back in time, and make him tell his past self not to authorize the invasion? :unamused: