Antibiophilus

What is this stuff? What does it do?

Has anyone ever given it to their kids? Why? Did it have any effect?

My wife’s brother-in-law is a pharmacist (read “drug pusher”), so my wife’s always bringing all sorts of pills, etc, into our house that her sister has fobbed off on her. Now it’s antibiophilus, which my wife believes will help my daughter, because our girl apparently has sensitive skin and is always rubbing her eyes and nose, so my wife believes it must be some sort of allergy that can be cured by antiobiohilus.

Apparently it’s a form of probiotic, like that found in all the lactobiophilus dairy products that are sol popular here. Here’s what wikipedia says:

[quote]Probiotics are dietary supplements of live bacteria or yeasts thought to be healthy for the host organism. According to the currently adopted definition by FAO/WHO, probiotics are: ‘Live microorganisms which when administered in adequate amounts confer a health benefit on the host’.[1]

Lactic acid bacteria (LAB) are the most common type of microbes used. LAB have been used in the food industry for many years, because they are able to convert sugars (including lactose) and other carbohydrates into lactic acid. This not only provides the characteristic sour taste of fermented dairy foods such as yogurt, but also, by lowering the pH, may create fewer opportunities for spoilage organisms to grow, hence creating possible health benefits by preventing gastrointestinal infections.[2] Strains of the genera Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, are the most widely used probiotic bacteria.[3][4]

Probiotic bacterial cultures are intended to assist the body’s naturally occurring gut flora, an ecology of microbes, to re-establish themselves. They are sometimes recommended by doctors, and, more frequently, by nutritionists, after a course of antibiotics, or as part of the treatment for gut related candidiasis. In these cases, the bacteria that work well with our bodies (see symbiosis) may decrease in number, an event which allows harmful competitors to thrive, to the detriment of our health. Claims are made that probiotics strengthen the immune system to combat allergies, excessive alcohol intake, stress, exposure to toxic substances, and other diseases.[2][5]

Maintenance of a healthy gut flora is, however, dependent on many factors, especially the quality of food intake[/quote]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic

I suspect it won’t have either a positive or an adverse effect (so long as we don’t have to pay for the stuff), but I’m curious if anyone has any opinions based on experience.

This is a translation from a German site that sells the ‘Antibiophilus’ … it’s probably a bunch of probiotics put together …

Probiotics are strain specific … they all do different things in your body … the one you have are maybe not to cure allergies …

[quote]roduct details Antibiophilus

Come on diarrheal diseases, the normal function of the intestinal activity and disturbed digestion. The intestinal flora responsible for the effect of digestion is responsible, consists of different types of bacteria that are a good balance in life. Due to unusual or one-sided diet, as well as after infection after treatment with antibiotics or after radiation treatment may cause a disturbance of this balance and result in diarrhea come. Antibiophilus capsules contain the naturally occurring human intestinal bacteria - viable lactic acid bacteria (lactobacilli) - in large numbers with the help of these bacteria may be damaged or destroyed intestinal flora back into their natural balance and diarrhea effectively but gently treated.

Application Areas
Treatment of diarrhea of various causes, especially after treatment with antibiotics or after radiation treatment.

Composition
1 capsule of 250 mg contains:
viable bacteria of lactic acid bacteria (Lactobacillus casel.var.rhamnosus) with a bacterial count of at least 1000 million per gram
Other ingredients: potato starch, lactose, maltodextrins, sodium thiosulphate, sodium glutamate, magnesium stearate, gelatin, titanium dioxide E-171

Consumption and application recommendation
The capsules are swallowed whole with some liquid used. It is recommended that Antibiophilus not directly before or after the meal, so the germs just as short as possible and spend time in the stomach. It is best if you Antibiophilus at least half an hour before or one hour after meals.
Children participate in acute diarrhea 3 times daily 1-2 capsules one.
Adults with acute diarrhea take 2 to 4 times daily 2 capsules one.
For the treatment of chronic diarrhea are 3 times daily 1-2 capsules.
In serious or persistent cases, you can also specify more than taking capsules. One is also taking over a long time.[/quote]

There’s a lot of evidence that getting infected with lice/mites/worms would be the cure to allergies, but you can’t make money from them in biological form and people are squeamish…there’s a lot of BS out there! I don’t about the bacteria although they probably wouldn’t do any harm. If your kid has taken many antibiotics previously they might even be helpful.

Plus, today and yesterday was the worst dust storm ever to hit Taiwan, according to one newspaper. Taipei’s air is very bad for allergies and some areas and houses are worse than others. Cutting back on exposure or moving to an area with fresher air would be one idea, another idea is to get a HEPA air purifier, many families in Taiwan have them.

Allergies can be caused by so many factors…it’s hard to know in each individual of course.

Never heard of that specific one, but back home they’ve been pushing Fil and Yoghurt with that kind of stuff for some 20-30 years now.
It’s meant to help your digestive system, BUT it has to be live bacteria, not in some kind of dry pill form, as then it won’t really have much effect.
You can get a few different kinds of power here that makes pretty much what we call Fil, a slightly thick, tangy fermented milk and they’ve got various mixes of good bacteria in it. I eat it most days for breakfast, but not idea if it really helps or not, I just like the taste of it.