Ants in my laptop

Hi all, it seems I have ants living inside my laptop. Does anyone know how this could of happened, and how I can get rid of the little bastards, it seems they are living in the little gap where the screen ends and the plastic bit starts, every now and then one or two start running around the screen and it is driving me around the bend.

Any advice would be grateful thank you.

Ah-ha! This happened to me as well. I thought I was special.

I didn’t do anything. They hung around for a couple of months and were gone in the winter. A friend recommended that I power-down and put it in the freezer. Sounded ridiculous and logical at the same time. You could try using the canned high-pressure air to blow them out but they’re in there pretty deep. Aside from being annoying, my rep at Apple said they can’t do any harm.

[quote=“super_lucky”]Ah-ha! This happened to me as well. I thought I was special.

I didn’t do anything. They hung around for a couple of months and were gone in the winter. A friend recommended that I power-down and put it in the freezer. Sounded ridiculous and logical at the same time. You could try using the canned high-pressure air to blow them out but they’re in there pretty deep. Aside from being annoying, my rep at Apple said they can’t do any harm.[/quote]

Its nice to know they can’t do any harm. I thought they might of caused some kind of damage, role on the winter so the fuckers freeze and leave me to my own laptop!!!

spray a hell of a lot insect repellent into a plastic-bag (in fresh-air), let it dry a minute and and put your notebook in it overnight. Should kill them all

Don’t let them get in your pants.

Or worse… if you use your laptop in bed and prop it against your legs while resting the thin bit on your belly, there’s a 75% chance of getting ants up yer hidey-hole… and I’m not only not joking, I know this from recent experience, and believe me, it wasn’t pretty, though ticklish…

Have you tried opening up the back and spraying it with air-pressure-spray?

Or worse… if you use your laptop in bed and prop it against your legs while resting the thin bit on your belly, there’s a 75% chance of getting ants up yer hidey-hole… and I’m not only not joking, I know this from recent experience, and believe me, it wasn’t pretty, though ticklish…

Have you tried opening up the back and spraying it with air-pressure-spray?[/quote]

I haven’t tried anything yet because I didn’t think they were coming from my laptop at first. Now I am certain they are coming from there. Absolutely certain, they can’t be coming from anywhere else, and I don’t want them in any of my holes thats for bloody sure!

I had these with my laptop too. My laptop eventually got fried (it was an ASUS), but I do not know if it was because of the ants.

I found this article about Raspberry Ants: (Could very well be the same as what is in your laptop)

Here area couple of links for you to read:

http://urbanentomology.tamu.edu/ants/exotic_tx.cfm

http://www.slate.com/id/2191749

There seemed to be no solution to get rid of them. I did not eat around my laptop, I kept it clean. Do NOT put it in the freezer. That is a last ditch effort technique to save a broken hard drive, but not something you want to do to your laptop. The moisture build up and condensation from putting into the freezer can seriously mess up your electronics.

I see an ant or two crawling around my macbook pro every once in a while, supposedly the love the electricity? Probably nothing you can do to stop it really, other than keep it far enough away from a food source, or the ant’s nest.

[quote=“Quarters”]I had these with my laptop too. My laptop eventually got fried (it was an ASUS), but I do not know if it was because of the ants.

I found this article about Raspberry Ants: (Could very well be the same as what is in your laptop)

Here area couple of links for you to read:

http://urbanentomology.tamu.edu/ants/exotic_tx.cfm

Just read the 2 articles and it seems like they are the crazy raspberry ants living in my laptop.

You don’t loads of them just every now and then 1 or 2 scurrying as fast as they possibly can across the screen until I squash it!

http://www.slate.com/id/2191749

There seemed to be no solution to get rid of them. I did not eat around my laptop, I kept it clean. Do NOT put it in the freezer. That is a last ditch effort technique to save a broken hard drive, but not something you want to do to your laptop. The moisture build up and condensation from putting into the freezer can seriously mess up your electronics.[/quote]

Welcome to crazy Taiwan!
I had ants in my printer last year eating printer glue. That was annoying. Watch out for the cockroaches in the phone next…I had some office pets before :bow:

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Welcome to crazy Taiwan!
I had ants in my printer last year eating printer glue. That was annoying. Watch out for the cockroaches in the phone next…I had some office pets before :bow:[/quote]

A little while ago, I was having trouble with my DVD player.
Random shutdowns, stalling, etc.

I first figured it was because I bought a cheap one, but it had worked fine for over 2 years. If electronics pass a 90 day period, usually they are good enough for the longer haul. Anyway, before tossing it, I decided to remove the cover.

Well, cockroach legs, cockroach wings, cockroach turds and miscellaneous other cockroach parts were everywhere inside!

Seems they are fond of some components more than others. I’m guessing the heat-producing parts - e.g., there were definitely more turds near the power converter. Maybe not a good theory, cause I checked my old desktop computer and it’s showing no signs of occupation (at the power converter or otherwise). Hmmmm … maybe they just like to bask in the reflected light … or they were big fans of those old crusty Bogart movies I was playing.

The cockroaches like the warmth inside phones etc, nice and cosy place to hang out in the day-time.

Not just day-time. It’s their favorite place to make it out… and off come all the little ones.

Got an ant under my foreskin when taking a leak in the forest recently. Wasn’t comfortable, but probably better than cockroaches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMxs0EZrFfI