Anxiety and Depression

It’s been a while since I’ve looked at the book, but from what I recall he doesn’t do that, and emphasizes that these approaches don’t work for everyone or all situations. It’s presented as more of a “here’s one tool that helps lots of people” rather than a cure-all.

I have very dim recollections that his approaches are more useful for anxiety than depression, but I could be making that up. In my case, the techniques were more useful for “quick-fix anxiety” issues (“Oh no I’m on a plane and I’m going to panic!”) than for deep existential malaise.

2 Likes

I’m not qualified to answer your question. But from my limited experience, anxiety and depression can, without a doubt, be a result of irrational thought, or a illogical reaction to a life situation. So the book teaches us to recognize then better deal with such cognitive distortions.

Cognitive therapy. It was a new approach a few decades ago when the book first was published. I’m still making my way through it. I just thought I would share it because countless people have been cured of their mental illness through this approach.

1 Like

Idk if cured is the word I’d use. Mental health injuries don’t heal like bones. They kind of remain broken. Strategies are a cure in that they keep you away from the cracks in you so you don’t fall down a crevasse. :idunno:

3 Likes

That’s what the book claims. I know three people with depression. One is maybe 99% over his illness. He sometimes gets bouts of sadness, but still has a great sense of humor and he is always counseling various people. Another is maybe 70% cured. He has negative moods in the mornings only and he is tapering off his meds. Really night and day compared to just a few months ago. A third I just met about a month ago, but I feel he will beat this eventually. He’s the one that gave me this book.

2 Likes

Sometimes I wish it was still in the 1900-1990 so I could pay someone to give me a new identity

Who would you like to be?

1 Like

My name would be Carolina. I would have one cat and a boring desk job. You?

Oh no. I’m none of those things.

You can be those things. Post modern constructivism is very fashionable right now, Carolina.

Be who you were destined to be.

I would be the cat

1 Like

@jdsmith would be the stray cat that visits us.

Thank you for understanding Karl.

1 Like

I just want to stop taking Zoloft now. I’m sick of being a fat fuck now. (No offense to anyone it’s judgement on me not yours). I don’t like that I’m actually hungry now and I’ll wake up if I don’t eat enough before bed just :angry:

1 Like

It’s the time of your life–20s, early 30s?

At that age, so much ahead. So nervous flying. Needed lorazepam.

Now? Late 40s…house, 3 successful kids (2 in professional jobs), content, etc…doesn’t even raise heartbeat.

1 Like

I understand that. Seeing the news about people opening doors mid-flight - real scary!

Right. I’m more cognizant of idiot passengers than the plane falling apart. Why they allow drinking in the airport and on planes is incomprehensible. It’s not the beach. It’s a very public place with zero boundaries between folks.

1 Like

They allow drinking to make the cunts more tolerable.

1 Like

My dentist put me under to extract a molar. Woke up feeling groovy. Let’s try that, sans the surgery.

If I’d known we could have those extracted I’d have done it years ago!

6 Likes

I find I need fewer of them as I age.

1 Like

Because the flights are too damn long. At my age people sleep 4 hours a night. Do that on a long-haul and you still have 8+ hours left.

Then they give you a tiny screen with some movies and something that doesn’t even resemble food. I rather have a dozen beers and strike up a conversation with my seat neighbor or whoever else is willing to engage with an old curmudgeon. Actually come to think about it its usually a stewardess - not like they can pretend they’re asleep…