Anxiety disorder medication / treatment

Last year my Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) returned and makes daily life unbearable at times. First thing I feel waking up in the morning is anxiety and I just want to sleep again. Can’t function as effectively at work and become more quiet. It’s hell.

Several years ago I was on Sertraline (Sandoz brand), and it worked miraculously well. GAD just gone without trace… and I stopped after taking it for a year and a half or so.

So since several months I am on Zoloft (Pfizer) from TAH hospital in Taipei. Last week I get the news that they can’t supply it anymore and provide Kinloft instead. [Edit: all these are the same chemical - sertraline - but different brands] The doctor said it’s not as effective and a higher dose is needed. I don’t trust it.

So… does anyone know a clinic/hospital in Taipei that provides Zoloft of the Pfizer brand or Sandoz Sertraline, NHI covered? Thanks :notworthy:

EDIT – Kinloft (抗憂服) is the product name of a locally produced sertraline by Synpac-Kingdom. Another local sertraline is You-jet (憂解) by Nang Kuang. Zoloft is Pfizer’s sertraline product, Sertraline is Sandoz’ sertraline product…

My Zoloft ran out and now I’m on Kinloft, and I’ll just stick with it. I’ll post here later on its effectiveness.

[quote=“forumosa_anon”]Last year my Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) returned and makes daily life unbearable at times. First thing I feel waking up in the morning is anxiety and I just want to sleep again. Can’t function as effectively at work and become more quiet. It’s hell.

Several years ago I was on Sertraline (Sandoz brand), and it worked miraculously well. GAD just gone without trace… and I stopped after taking it for a year and a half or so.

So since several months I am on Zoloft (Pfizer) from TAH hospital in Taipei. Last week I get the news that they can’t supply it anymore and provide Kinloft instead. [Edit: all these are the same chemical - sertraline - but different brands] The doctor said it’s not as effective and a higher dose is needed. I don’t trust it.

So… does anyone know a clinic/hospital in Taipei that provides Zoloft of the Pfizer brand or Sandoz Sertraline, NHI covered? Thanks :notworthy:

EDIT – Kinloft (抗憂服) is the product name of a locally produced sertraline by Synpac-Kingdom. Another local sertraline is You-jet (憂解) by Nang Kuang. Zoloft is Pfizer’s sertraline product, Sertraline is Sandoz’ sertraline product…[/quote]

Here is what you can do, instead of a national hospital, go to a clinic. Tell them your situation and ask for a prescription for Pfizer pharmaceutical Zoloft. They will write a script for you and bring it to a pharmacy and ask them to order the Zoloft brand name if they don’t have it in stock. Unless the hospital is saying NHI dropped Zoloft and only covers generics.

But I think the doctor is wrong in saying it’s less effective. Pharmaceutical companies are under tight regulations and if it says 10mg on it, testing it to be 11mg can cause them to be sued for billions if say someone died and they blamed that 1mg extra to be the cause. I like brand names like Pfizer as well, but it’s all in people’s head when they say generics don’t work as well. But I understand, I usually get brand name when I can.

[quote=“Andrew0409”]
But I think the doctor is wrong in saying it’s less effective. Pharmaceutical companies are under tight regulations and if it says 10mg on it, testing it to be 11mg can cause them to be sued for billions if say someone died and they blamed that 1mg extra to be the cause. I like brand names like Pfizer as well, but it’s all in people’s head when they say generics don’t work as well. But I understand, I usually get brand name when I can.[/quote]

In theory, yes, but in practice it takes years to establish a difference and for enough to come forward and bring a case. For obvious reasons, they generally test lower levels rather than more.

Stay away from Taiwan Adventist Hospital (TAH) unless you know what meds you need that they are able to supply. During the 1 ~ 2 years I was a patient there I never once saw my doctor’s face. Always hiding behind a face mask. You go in, get your meds, and get out.

Subsequently I was prescribed Xanax at another hospital. I thought it worked very well for anxiety, little did I know Xanax is NOT a good drug, it can be used for 2 weeks tops for emergencies. I was on Xanax for several months and consider myself lucky. Withdrawal is terrible and can be serious - do NOT stop taking it cold turkey - it is dangerous. My mistake was to search people’s opinions on Xanax. But what I should have looked for on the internet was ‘xanax withdrawal’.

Stick with the best hospitals. I went to the hospital near Taipei 101 and they told me to taper Xanax. Doctor also told me westerners need a higher dose of sertraline. Previous one didn’t want to give me more.

There are some real quacks out there, they will prescribe you anything with no knowledge - or conscience? - whatsoever.

Most of the tranquilizers are hell for withdrawal, Estrazolam, Diazepam, Lorazepam, all can be fatal if withdrawal is done cold turkey. Nasty nasty medicine.

Which ones are strong and a months worth? Hopefully, it helps with deep anger?
Zoloft is only 50 mg and isn’t strong enough. Prozac never worked. Tbh I don’t even care if I’m a zombie as long as I can get shit done.

Is that your anxiety speaking? No one likes change. :idunno:

edit: and not everyone reads the OP posting date. :laughing: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: