Any "American" Chinese Restaurant in Taipei?

I would like to resurrect this thread. Any updates on American Chinese restaurants in Taiwan?

By the way, “American Chinese” cuisine is a specific subcategory of Chinese cuisine consisting of dishes invented by early Chinese immigrants to the US, in the same way that Tex-Mex is a subcategory of Mexican cuisine invented by Mexicans in the Texas territory. I do not mean “bad Chinese food” as someone so humorously pointed out in an earlier post.

2 Likes

Here ya go: Forks x Chopsticks. I know they’re on Uber Eats and Inline as well.

4 Likes

Amazing! Thank you!

This might be a stretch, but is there something similar in Kaohsiung?

I’d love to get some “dragon tiger fight”, chicken and veggies in brown sauce, or honey walnut shrimp

I have, on a few different occasions, heard Taiwanese people who went to university in the US admit to missing Panda Express and other similar American “Chinese” food. It’s not authentic, but it is its own thing, and I don’t think it really exists here.

2 Likes

Were are these guys that planned to open an ‘American’ Chinese restaurant years ago?

All Countries have there own style of Chinese, UK and US are miles apart in dishes.

My favourite UK Chinese: chilli, garlic beef in black bean sauce with green peppers, Hong Kong sweet & sour chicken, Singapore noodles, house special chow mein and barbecue spare ribs.
Oh and Hong Kong style curry with crunchy onions.:yum:
Also UK Chinese do the best fat chips (fries) twice fried :yum:

1 Like

There’s a fast casual chinese inside Breeze NanShan in Taipei, It’s not marketed american in any way but you’ll be able to get Panda Express Esque Food. Rice or Chow Mein. Sweet Sour Pork. Chose your sides. It’s same format. This is quite similiar I think to the essence of the post.

2 Likes

Yeah is it called Red something? It’s pretty good.

Din Tai Fung is the closest I’ve found.

That’s not even close - that’s a fancy dim sum. You won’t get anything close to American Chinese here ;D where cheapo would feel similar to Panda Express and premo would be similar to PF Changs

3 Likes

Now this looks like real American Chinese. Orange chicken (close enough to sesame chicken) and beef n broccoli? Then the combos just being “more meat”? Yep.

I think American Chinese food taste better than Taiwanese Chinese food.
I love General Tsao chicken.

2 Likes

General Tso!

Check out the trailer to this awesome documentary about this dish.

Kao Chi in Taipei City, btw, does a version of it if you’re trying to chase this dish down. :upside_down_face:

Guy

3 Likes

So does Fifi, if they’re still around.

2 Likes

Oh for pete’s sake… just go find any 湘菜館 or Hunan cuisine places, they’d have realy authentic General Tso’s chicken.

There are tons of Xiang cuisine restaurants. The dish ain’t really invented in the US, it ain’t really Hunan cuisine either, it’s invented in Taipei in 1952 to treat admiral Arthur William Radford, the commander of the 7th fleet.

1 Like

It’s not the same as the way it’s done in US restaurants.

3 Likes

General Tso is dead and so is the chicken!

1 Like

I actually prefer my food dead.

Not dead is the octopus.