Any BBCs living in Taiwan?

Hi all,

Just out of curiousity, I know ABCs are prevalent in Taiwan and many locals have grown accustomed to this (especially Taiwanese people returning from the U.S or Canada).
But what I want to know… are there any BBCs living and possibly working in Taiwan? I know most of them would be in Singapore…or most commonly Hong Kong, but any other crazy BBCs such as myself would live here? Considering that we have two unattractive traits that the local Taiwanese would not find appealing; being asian-looking and having a British accent.
One quick extra question, what do you guys think of BBCs? Are they Taiwanese (Chinese) or essentially British with a different coat of paint? (haha, sounds a bit strange)

Cheers!

Pete :slight_smile: :astonished:

I’ve met only a couple here.

And, er, I only clicked this thread because I thought BBC referred to, er, :blush: you know, a dark, ponderous organ, and I’m not talking about the national broadcaster.

Yup. I only clicked on the thread out of prurient curiosity.

As the the OP’s question: a British person is a person with a British passport who lives in Britain. :idunno: Considering the wide mix of ethnicities there, one’s genetic heritage is pretty much irrelevant.

And I’m pretty certain a British accent isn’t unappealing. According to another poster here, it’s like having a bottle of this:

I’ve noticed that “ABC” is something of a catch-all for ethnic Chinese born in pretty much any of the main English majority nations (US, UK, Canada, etc.)… and pretty much no one in Taiwan has any idea what I mean when I say “CBC”, a term that we actually use back home.

Yes…I guess “unappealing” was a wrong choice of word…
I used to have a bit of a cockney accent (working class London) before I came to Taiwan, I had to re-shape my speaking habits and grammar to educate others… simple examples such as “you was…”, “th- (the) for d”, “-th- (mother, brother) for v” and pronouncing my Ts occasionally in “butter, water, what”… So I’ve got a more “received pronunciation” vibe now, however I haven’t gone through the efforts of differentiating: “pull”, “pool” and “Paul” yet…

Surely you can’t say ABC refers to Chinese people born in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Britain, but I guess it helps you put all these within a band to simplify things. It’s like saying, can you speak Chinese? (Ultimately, it concerns Cantonese, Mandarin and all the other dialects that exist in China)

Anyway, thanks for answering my question, I guess it’s not a big deal and English is English. I’ve met the odd ABC here and there, when it comes to talking sports; we share nothing in common.

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]I’ve met only a couple here.

And, er, I only clicked this thread because I thought BBC referred to, er, :blush: you know, a dark, ponderous organ, and I’m not talking about the national broadcaster.[/quote]

It seems we browse the same websites. :thumbsup: