Any cyclists in the Sinjhuang District

Been riding a few months in these areas and is great to see so much interest.

Will be out of town for two weeks but once returning would like to meet up with you guys for some of these ride, or at least read about your routes that are off the normal ‘path along the river’.

Maybe even go as far as make ‘side forums’ based on the area of New Taipei City, however I am more than happy with the Xinzhuang District information at this time!

I am in Banciao and within 10-20km of these suggested rides so keep the good information coming!

Keep both wheels down!

Seems like you want to get into the mountains ASAP. :smiley: I haven’t ridden at all west of Xinzhuang because on the maps it looks too developed and flat. I’m based in Yonghe at the moment so I’ve been checking out these roads for a while, although obviously I’d approach them from a slightly different way. I wonder how bad the traffic is on the 110? :ponder:

Those are some of the best routes, if not the best. The west side is not that interesting until almost at Yingge. The east is better, huge parks and wide paths, but hard to switch over to the other side closer to Sanxia (and past Yingge the paths are only on the west siode).

But past Yingge you ride along a large reservoir, along country lanes, and through parts of the Dahan River that seem so remote and rugged.

If you are interested in mountain rides how about Maokong?[/quote]

I haven’t actually done any of the roads around Maokong yet. :blush: If I want to get into the mountains quickly I usually head up to Wulai and on to Fushan village for a longer ride. Or I go past Maokong on the way to Pingxi etc. On google maps Maokong looks like a maze of narrow roads with lots of dead ends. I guess I should print off some maps and head out there one day.

Yeah I imagine that descent would be more terrifying than pleasurable. Lots of blind corners too and absolutely no width to play with. And even though the traffic is really light any vehicles you do meet are guaranteed to be smack bang in the middle. I got a scare coming down the other side one day. There was a crew fixing power lines and as I approached one guy lifted a 12 foot ladder and spun around 180 degrees with it on his shoulder. It wasn’t very close - I was still ten or fifteen meters away - but still, a healthy reminder that as a cyclist it is best to assume that everyone is out to kill you.

On that note: has anyone found any maps or slim map books that are good for cycling in the hills around Taipei?

Get the Jiaotong Press hiking map series that covers the north at 1:25,000 scale. Much better than Google maps as you can clearly see roads and alleys and trails. Maoking is actually a very easy place to ride as there are only a few roads up there and as long as you face taipei on the ridge only a couple entries and exits.

All those dead ends on Google maps are farm roads and house driveways. They are not at all confusing when you are up there.

I can give general easy to follow directions for a Maokong ride if anyone wants it.

Maokong is a nice climb, did it this week app.strava.com/rides/20912913 and as MM said it’s not confusing. Still struggling to find a proper entrance to the cycle path on my side of the river, but will keep trying!

Done this short but steep ride a couple of times now, it’s got some unpaved sections on the up, the view is amazing and the descent is pretty good. Will ride in reverse soon. app.strava.com/rides/21111496

That is about is for my first week of cycling in 2 months and my first first 4 rides in the North.

OK. Steviebike, Haokaiyang and anyone else interested - who is up for a ride this weekend? I decided to postpone a trip to Yunlin and Nantou to save some money so I’ll be around this weekend. Temps should be a bit lower so I really want to get out on a nice long ride in the mountains. Wifey says I can pick Saturday or Sunday. What works for you guys?

Sunday is a possibility. How far are you thinking? I’m probably good for about 80km right now (and lots of stops on the hills). I’m getting fitter, but my redline is a bit low and tend to pop after some serious climbing. Got to just keep at it.

Sunday is good for me as long as the weather is OK. Looks like the N/NE might get some rain from the typhoon thats supposed to hit Okinawa.

We can stay on the bigger roads, the hills are more doable on those. I still havent done the 118/Luoma Rd so lets do that!

What is the forecast for Sunday? Not been too good today, got very wet exploring the bike paths.

Looks pretty shite, actually. Glad I put in some kms on the bike paths at night over the past few days as it might be a cabin fever kinda weekend. We’ll have to play it by ear I guess…

Looks pretty shite, actually. Glad I put in some kms on the bike paths at night over the past few days as it might be a cabin fever kinda weekend. We’ll have to play it by ear I guess…[/quote]

So I sleep in for the first time in like a year because the weather is supposed to be crappy and I wake up to excellent cycling weather - only 10% chance of rain. Steviebike, check your PM box eh?