Any decent Indian/Pakistani Restaurants around Kaohsiung?

Does Dennis have Curry Chicken BURRITO (not cute Burro) . Or Frankies! (aka Bombay Burritos) like this (from another KHH cafe).

I like this one in Pingtung City.

I got really, really ill after eating at that big one on Jungshan Road in Kaohsiung (Maharaja I think?). Wouldn’t go there again.

1 Like

I went to Dennis, also good food at cheap prices! Simple place.

2 Likes

Hope you feel better. Interesting the place is more expensive than say Dennis but seems does not matter if your sick.

2 Likes

There’s some Indian restaurants. Are they decent? Depends on how low your expectations are. I’d say the very best one here is like a 6/10. The Indian food in Taipei is much better, needless to say.

Maharaja is like the best Indian restaurant in Kaohsiung and it still kinda sucks.

Yeah it’s not awesome. What gets me is when you sit down in a place that’s nice and it still feels like most of your food came out of cans. Maharaja felt like that. Bonus points for having Kingfisher at the time though. That was the best part of the meal for me.

2 Likes

That is not a ringing endorsement.

Guy

2 Likes

Maharaja looks nice and comfortable but as mentioned there is better food in town (I like Dennis now but it’s more like a hole in the wall place for cheaper good food, near the day market south of Kao Medical Uni)

1 Like

Yeah, Gordon Ramsey would’ve had a field day chewing them out for that.

2 Likes

saw this about Dennis, nice story and he has nice family in KHH

2 Likes

Great post! Wes (the youtuber) is always so positive, and Dennis sounds like a really sold guy (well except for losing his phone all the time! :joy:).

I definitely want to try his shop, especially his take on idly-dosa and other Tamil foods, next time I make it to K-Town.

Guy

1 Like

Nice place for Southern food in Southern Taiwan.

1 Like

I finally made it back to K-Town for a visit, and feeling tired of overly fatty pork (I had a bad experience the night before) I made my way to Dennis Indian Restaurant. I stupidly tried to walk from the tangled mess of Kaohsiung Main Station (this is not recommended); the easier access point (though it’s still a bit of a walk) is from Houyi MRT Station on the Red Line.

Do I have food photos to post? No, I don’t! That’s because I quickly scarfed down the delicious dosa I ordered and the sambal that accompanied it (there was tomato chutney too, which wasn’t bad but was in my opinion the weakest link in this classic power trio). Laced with curry leaves, Dennis’s sambal is among the best I’ve had anywhere. I washed it all back with hot chai. Total cost for this: NT$205.

Forumosans should be aware that this is a simple space, with almost no docorations (this is fine with me; I can enjoy dosas without wall hangings and statues of Ganesh)—and, as far as I could tell, no restroom for customers either. These limitations are completely made up for by the warmth and generosity of the eponymous Dennis, a Tamil man who has led an interesting life.

I asked him why he selected this slightly out-of-the-way location for his shop. He told me that he is there to happily provide affordable Indian food to the nearby students at Kaohsiung Medical University and at National Kaohsiung University of Science and Technology. Indeed the prices are very reasonable, especially for such delicious food.

Hands down, this is now my favourite Indian place in K-Town (keep in mind though that I adore southern Indian food which is tasty and satisfying without being heavy or creamy). The next time I am in Kaohsiung, I’d happily return to Dennis’s place in a flash. :yum:

Guy

3 Likes

I’ll put it on the list to try. Usually I go to Doon Valley but they’re so busy we can’t always get a reservation and

OmG Dennis has Thali! I haven’t seen a thali on the menu in Taiwan!

2 Likes

Don’t get too excited about Dennis. Their food is good but portion sizes are minimal. I think most of the curries I ordered contained no more than 3 or 4 pieces of meat. It is mainly a dosa place, after all.

Although it’s a good option if you don’t care about meat, and only want to dip your naan in a variety of curries.

Chicken Thali would typically have like a leg, or a few pieces of breast. And 5 other small portions of different things, good with a dosa

I’ll get excited about a thali, but we’ll see how it is when I get there

1 Like

I agree with this, but I don’t think this is a minus. If you’re a big eater (I am not) you can try more things!

Guy

1 Like