Any English bushibans hiring non-native speakers?

The edit function is a great thing, Sherry. But it only works if the next poster hasn’t already quoted your mistake. :wink:
Unfortunately, the only saffie I know is Alleycat and you can be damn sure if he was in my employ he would definitely be teaching my kids English. Yes sirreebob![/quote]

The above quote is proof that one can be purposely misquoted. The quote funtion is not foolproof.

I must admit, I did add the question mark later.

My mistakes are the worst ones just because I’m a South African could become a song at forumosa. No wonder so few of my compatriots dare to speak out.

I don’t understand the bias aimed against South African teachers.

1. Many people speak English as their first language in South Africa.
  2. If other foreigners use their own dialect or slang, it’s not a problem. Sandman is one of them.
  3. The job most South Africans have to do, requires them to teach sentences like “I am going to the park.” How difficult could that be?
  4. I teach two kids who have either one or two English-speaking parents. One of them hardly speaks English and when he does, it sounds about the same as other, Taiwanese kids. The other has a vast knowledge of English vocabulary and her grammar is quite good, but she sings when she talks. I wonder if there are any kids who were born and bred in Taiwan (with English-speaking parents/an English-speaking parent) who speak fluently and without any audible Chinese influence. I know Sandman did not mean to be mean.
  5. A grudge I do have against some South African teachers is that they converse in Afrikaans with each other at school without any qualms. When they do it with me, I reply in English and they probably think I’m putting on airs. I don’t give a damn.

I don’t really only know one saffie. I know two others who are sisters and who can both speak much better English than I can (as can Alleycat, truth be told, although he loses out on the looks thing. BIG TIME!).
But you just have to face it AAF – Saffies are an easy target for not-terribly-smart people to paint as non-English-speaking long-haired losers.
Just remember, it says far more about them than it does about you.

[quote=“sandman”]I don’t really only know one saffie. I know two others who are sisters and who can both speak much better English than I can (as can Alleycat, truth be told, although he loses out on the looks thing. BIG TIME!).
But you just have to face it AAF – Saffies are an easy target for not-terribly-smart people to paint as non-English-speaking long-haired losers.
Just remember, it says far more about them than it does about you.[/quote]

Things are much better than they could have been. Before 1994, many people insisted on using the Scottish/Italian “r”, pronounced “th” as “f” or “v”.

[quote=“sandman”] Saffies are an easy target for not-terribly-smart people to paint as non-English-speaking long-haired losers.
[/quote]

Ya, the not-so-bright people were wrong to describe them as having long hair. Idiots.

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“sandman”] Saffies are an easy target for not-terribly-smart people to paint as non-English-speaking long-haired losers.
[/quote]

Ya, the not-so-bright people were wrong to describe them as having long hair. Idiots.[/quote]

Somebody told me today that I could make more in Canada as a carpenter than as a teacher in Taiwan.

[quote=“AAF”][quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“sandman”] Saffies are an easy target for not-terribly-smart people to paint as non-English-speaking long-haired losers.
[/quote]

Ya, the not-so-bright people were wrong to describe them as having long hair. Idiots.[/quote]

Somebody told me today that I could make more in Canada as a carpenter than as a teacher in Taiwan.[/quote]

Yip. I agree 100 percent. I don’t have a lot of respect for Canadian teachers here in Taiwan either. I think buxiban owners are smart to hire both nationalities though. In my eyes, they are synonymous with “cheap” and “cheaper”

If you’re able to scam your way into a union, you could make more working as carpenter in America than an investment banker with an Ivy League BA in economics.

Yes. As for others who don’t have degrees not being able to find work I believe that sometimes it’s how they present themselves. I know a few western ladies married without tertiary qualifications and they do mighty well with teaching.

Good teachers have a good personality for the job. More important than a lot of the quals people flash under ya nose.

I love looking at the resumes… I got two undergrads degress my two MA’s and just phinished my Phd in the social skills of left handed lesbian women… Can I teach for you???

Nup I’ll take that married lass with the personality thanks… anyways no need to fuss about paying for an ARC :smiley: :smiley: