Any insight on this issue

Hey

My bike (125 cc honda legend motorcycle) seems to die after driving for a while. Like what happens is I’ll drive for about 10 minutes then I’ll stop at a stop light then while stopping the engine seems to get warm and starts to become inaudible and then dies. I then have to start it again ussually with little problems

Anybody have any advice for this issue?

Tell us what kind of maintenance have you done on your bike and when did you do it? Oil change, spark plug replacement, air filter replacement?

It could be many things causing that, please provide more details. Sounds like it’s either electrical or a carb issue. How old is the bike? Does it accelerate normally? Is it hard to start when the engine is cold? In any case, you probably will have to do a few things to the bike to eliminate possible causes in order to pinpoint the actual problem. Answer my questions and I will try to help you.

bobepine

It sounds like vapour evaporation in the carb - something that I had an issue with once. However, as Bob says, there is a whole array of problems it could be.

Adam

[quote=“bobepine”]Tell us what kind of maintenance have you done on your bike and when did you do it? Oil change, spark plug replacement, air filter replacement?

It could be many things causing that, please provide more details. Sounds like it’s either electrical or a carb issue. How old is the bike? Does it accelerate normally? Is it hard to start when the engine is cold? In any case, you probably will have to do a few things to the bike to eliminate possible causes in order to pinpoint the actual problem. Answer my questions and I will try to help you.

bobepine[/quote]

The only maintenance I’ve done thus far is oil changes, the year on the bike is like maybe a 97-98, it accelerates fine, and it’s never hard to start though occassionally I have to kick start it

Hope this is enough info

Well, start with the cheap fix/maintenance and go from there. First, get a new spark plug. If it’s fouled, the gap can be reduced to next to nothing when the bike warms up and then the spark is so small that it can make the bike inaudible as it misfires and then stalls.

Replace your air filter and have the air mixture adjusted on the carb. All that will cost you 300NT max.

Your bike is 8 or 9 years old. At that age, you could have more than one problem. Having to kick start the bike sure isn’t a good sign. Hopefully it’s just a bad spark plug, a weak battery and/or lean air mixture caused by an old clogged air filter but it could be much worse and costly.

So I suggest to try these three things(spark plug, air filter and air mixture) and let us know if the condition improves.

bobepine

Thanks much, I’ll check it out this weekend. About the kick starting, I had to do it a few times a few months ago before I was having problems, I think it was just a wiring problem that I actually got fixed, I never have to do it anymore even when it dies.