Any landlords or anyone know one looking for a tenant?

Hi!

Long term lurker first time posting. I hope it’s okay to post this here. I’ve been in Taiwan for the last 4 months and I’m looking to find a decent landlord, preferably one who speaks English. I’ve got a budget of 25k for an apartment for one and I’m pretty flexible on location as I work online, just don’t want to be too far out of town.

Any advice or tips from more experienced residents of Taipei would be much appreciated. I haven’t had a lot of luck on the various Facebook groups, lots of places that look nice in the photos but are actually sketchy roof-top extensions, any connections would be much appreciated.

Hope it’s okay I post this here, please do move if it should be in another category. Thanks!!

Rob

Those are fine 85% of the time.

1 Like

Oh, maybe I’m being too cautious. Do you have experience with them? I was told to avoid them as there is a higher likelihood they may be structurally unsafe plus they can get very hot during the summer.

591 is your friend. Use Google Translate.

Both of these are true. But they’re the penthouses of Taiwan. You get a place for 1/3 of market price, have a big balcony for barbecues and gardening, no one tramples around on your head (poor noise insulation is common here) and you can make modifications without much risk of getting into trouble because the places are not legal to start with.

They are generally regarded as fanny magnets. Live in one of those and you’ll be a busy man.

1 Like

Are you joking or serious?

I was joking.

Hi,

I got a connection that you can stay at a small boutique hotel a little above your budget for monthly rent(private message me).

Ximending is one stop MRT station away from Taipei main station, which is in the central of Taipei.

2-3 blocks away from food street

8-15 mins walk to Ximending station

5 mins walk to a river trail

4 star hotel with a 4.5+/5 reviews from Google

VRV Air-conditioning System provided

my line: reneetree

With that budget you should get a “decent” place. Don’t pay more than that, no matter what “connections” just registered users have…

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips all. Something else I’d been wandering about is deposits. Back in the UK I was used to there being a 3rd party (deposit protection scheme) a deposit would be paid into. Is there anything like that in Taiwan or is it just the honour system here? Hand over 1-2 months of rent as a deposit straight to the landlord?

You would hand over 2 months deposit to the landlord.

To be honest, this is one thing that landlords are pretty good about. They may be shoddy with maintenance but they will never bone you for money as hell hath no fury like a Taiwanese person owed money.

I’m actually moving next week. DM me and I’ll show you the 591 listing and help facilitate things with the agent.

Haha, okay good to know I’m not being naive.

I must have the poles reversed then.

1 Like