Any "mixed blood" kids in Taichung?

Are there any parents of ‘mixed blood’ kids in the Taichung city/county area?
I have a two year old son who could benefit from a bit of social contact with kids in a similar situation.
BTW, I am from UK and my wife is Taiwanese.

Hi, I am a New Zealander living in Taichung County, Tachia (Da Jia). My wife is Taiwanese and we have a 13 month old son, although he is very big for his age, compared to the Taiwanese kids that is. If you want to you can drop me a line at bassmanis@hotmail.com.

C’mon guys and girls - I don’t believe Bassman and I are the only foreigners with mixed blood kids (0-4 years) in Taichung city/county.
I think it would good for all of our kids to get together once in a while. There must be plenty of you out there. Don’t be shy :slight_smile: !

Yes, but our kids our six and eight. You guys are always welcome in our house, we love to meet people and make friends. You can reach me at turton@ev1.net.

And I live in Taichung, not in @(*$#^ “Taizhong.” Why does this program “correct” the proper spelling of Taichung?

Vorkosigan

Segue uses Hanyu pinyin for romanizing Chinese and automatically adds the Hanyu spelling for most of the commonly used words.

Oh my! You are kidding right?! Ewwww! Now we don’t have a choice!?!? Kind of like in the Communist PRC. No choice huh? That is sick. Does it correct people’s names too? Is Lee Teng Hui now Li Deng Hui? I think a better way would be to add the Chinese characters in, not Commie pinyin. For example, how can you find TaiZhong on a map made in Taiwan (should I buy a PRC made map of Taiwan?)? You might be driving up and down the No. 1 highway for days looking for the Taizhong exit. Really guys, you shouldn’t automatically force everyone that posts here to use a certain romanization.

[quote=“Vorkosigan”]
And I live in Taichung, not in @(*$#^ “Taizhong.” Why does this program “correct” the proper spelling of Taichung?

Vorkosigan[/quote]

Yea! I agree! Good one!

Anyway, it doesn’t actually correct the spelling – it simply adds the internationally accepted version in parentheses. Don’t worry, your mistakes remain there for all to either applaud or roll their eyes at, depending on their point of view. Me, I do neither, as I really don’t give a shit one way or another.

It does not add the internationally accepted version. The internationally accepted version is “Taichung.” It adds the PRC version. Open up any neutral map, such as the CIA factbook, and you’ll find that there is no Taizhong in Taiwan. Only on PRC maps does one find Taizhong.

I would be happy to use Pinyin, if the government here used it, but it does not.

Just out of curiosity, how many fellow Taichungers are on the forum? Roll call?

The pushy Pinyin thing bothers me a bit too. I don’t need correcting, I need convincing. If anyone actually knows where or what Taichung is, they know it by the traditional transliteration, not the Pinyin one.

No offense but there are plenty of other threads about pinyin/romanization in which you guys could be be squabbling. Please start a new thread, maybe in the feedback forum if you want to continue this argument.

If possible I’d like to keep this thread unmutated. Thanks.

p.s. Vorkosigan - Nice to meet you. I’ll send you an email this weekend.

Sorry about hijacking the thread! My apologies.

Looking forward to the email. We’ll be busy all this weekend, but next weekend, or in the afternoons, we have time…

Vorkosigan

yoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyo

it seemed from the thread that there was confusion about an appropriate term to refer to bi-racial people, thus placing the words “mixed blood” in quotes. but when i think of mixed blood, i think of, say, hiv-contaminated blood mixed in with regular blood and then transfused into the arm of an unsuspecting individual/future patient. it doesn’t make me think of multiracial individuals.

so perhaps using the term multiracial or biracial might be more appropriate. but that might not be the term used in taiwan; is it common to refer to people of mixed ethnic heritage as “mixed blood”? i’m about to come to taiwan in a couple of months, but i’m not there as of yet.

just my thoughts,
nmj[/quote]

how about bi-cultural or multi-cultural?

J.

Doesn’t mean the same thing. One could be 100% Han Chinese or caucasian and still be bi-cultural. Similarly, one could be bi-racial and monocultural. :?

I used to live with a Chinese-Causasian women from the US. She would always refer to her ethinciity as ‘mixed blood’ so I always figured that was an acceptable term.

‘Mixed blood’ seems more natural to use in Taiwan because that is a direct translation of the Chinese. Hey, now we have become a pc AND pinyin thread!

Gee–how about referring to these children as “cross-genetic vertically propelling pre-pubescent homo sapiens”?

“Mixed blood” is in parenthesis, meaning that they are referring to a common, albeit inexact expression. This communicates the meaning effectively. I weep for anyone confusing these children with someone infected with HIV.

Give it a rest, and get back on topic.

I agree, I am a Taichunger and I have a kid. I want to know who else is out there and hate to see this thread going off in all directions. I have met Spack, and a nicer guy is difficult to find, both he and his wife are charming. I can safely say getting in touch would be a good experience if you have kids. His kid is great too, my wife thinks the little tike is super.

So come on guys, even if you just know someone, get them or yourself in touch and let’s network and have some fun. I can say from experience that it is a really positive thing.

Me a nice boy? I resent that characterization! I am a rugged manly type who walks with a swagger and a sneer. Bassman is much nicer than me [smoooch]! :laughing: