Any other Forumosans in a Taiwanese quarantine hotel?

That decor would drive me nuts after about 15 minutes, never mind 14 days. :neutral_face:

Guy

7 Likes

Eh, my main concern would be the lack of space. I figure I’d be curled up in a fetal position by lunchtime. I’ve always assumed that when / if I have to do this, I’d at least have enough floor space for exercise - but I’m not sure either room even has that.

Somewhere there were posts suggesting booking a hotel outside Taipei for more space at a lower price. I saw those posts and thought “Oh, good idea.” Now I see these pictures and think “Oh my god, sanity-saving idea.”

5 Likes

Totally agree about the space.

No room for exercise. Not even push-ups. (Well maybe if I moved that desk chair out of the way.)

Was hoping to return to Taiwan one of these days, but starting to wonder if I ever will. No way could I stay in rooms like that for 14 days.

6 Likes

For anyone else with an APRC: apparently there is a subsidy (not sure if that’s the right word, it’s not really money given back, but more like money taken off of your nightly stay) given to citizens and people with permanent residency. When I asked the hotel about this earlier this summer when I was still in the US, they told me there was no special pricing for APRC holders, however once I got to Taiwan and sent them a copy of my APRC, they refunded me 800 off the nightly room rate (12000 NT, not a small amount). So if you have an APRC, you are apparently entitled to the hotel’s “citizen only” price. At my hotel at least this pricing is valid until the end of 2021.

7 Likes

The weird thing about that is that the discount they give seems to be different depending on the hotel. Some hotels even seem to give different discount amounts based on the room category. I didn’t look further into that as I don’t have an APRC, but still looked really strange.

Just checked in

2 Likes

Keep us posted on how things go. :popcorn:

Guy

what kind of hotel has hearts on the carpet? was he paying per hour?

2 Likes

Guess who’s in quarantine since yesterday? Correct! It’s @DogmaticStoic ! But also ya girl Fenja. I’m staying at the Chance Hotel in Taichung’s central district. Food is ok, Room could do with some more shelves and coat hangers.

On another note: A Covid-19 Antigen Self-Test was handed to me yesterday at the airport. Due to serious tiredness on my side I didn’t comprehend when the gentleman wanted me to use said test.
Is it for the half-time test after 7 days?

2 Likes

I’d recommend that you talk to the hotel staff, or call 1922, to find out what to do.

Guy

1 Like

They should have written the date on the side of the box. Also, they will call you and ask you if you’ve done the test already at some point - then you can tell them no and take it that day if they ask you to.

It’s for the 20th day they told me. So after quarantine. The police messaged me and reiterated this. There should be a date written on it that says when you take it. You have to send a picture of the results to them later

Does anyone know what’s the point of these tests? Does the outcome affect what they do to you in any way at all, or is it just ritual?

No idea. Seems a bit excessive to me though

I did as @afterspivak said and wrote my quarantine officer. The test is for after the quarantine. They wrote “144” on the side. The officer said the date in their system is 04.12.
Today I also got my goodie bag and the wife brought some basics.

Food is still okay but nothing to write home about. That’s why I’m writing about it here.

First day’s Lunch and Dinner:

2nd Day’s three meals:

6 Likes

With that sequence of meals, they should also hand you honorary Taiwanese citizenship.

Guy

6 Likes

I was thinking a partial discount and a formal apology from the government…

6 Likes

Is that a hotel or quarantine center ?

Let’s not rule out an airport detention center or prison for the time being?

2 Likes

I’d estimate around 70 per cent of folks eat boxes like that just about every day.

That would be a lot of apologizing! :rofl:

Guy

4 Likes