Any places/shops of interest in Taichung?

I’m currently staying with relatives in Taichung, in Nantun district, and wondered if there are any department stores, shops or eatery places of interest nearby within walking or bussing distance?

Everything in Taichung is bussing distance. You can also take taxis, theyre super cheap.

Check out the Jade Market on Wenxin rd (just google “taichung jade market”

If you’re into history and culture, check out this lik: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temples_of_Taichung the “Lin Family Ancestral Shrine” is sorta close(ish) to you and one of the older things in town. Small, but if youre into that sorta thing its sweet. A BIT hard to find as its in an alley.

Theres the Chungyo dept store, Mode Mall-(latter which is right by the Taichung Train Station, like a hundred or so years old, the former aint too far from the train station neither…and the Chungyo one has a pretty decent night market).

Theres artist street (google it) and tea street also.

[quote=“Confuzius”]Everything in Taichung is bussing distance. You can also take taxis, theyre super cheap.

Check out the Jade Market on Wenxin Rd (just google “taichung jade market”

If you’re into history and culture, check out this lik: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temples_of_Taichung the “Lin Family Ancestral Shrine” is sorta close(ish) to you and one of the older things in town. Small, but if youre into that sorta thing its sweet. A BIT hard to find as its in an alley.

Theres the Chungyo dept store, Mode Mall-(latter which is right by the Taichung Train Station, like a hundred or so years old, the former aint too far from the train station neither…and the Chungyo one has a pretty decent night market).

Theres artist street (google it) and tea street also.[/quote]

Thanks for this. My aunt mentioned this department store so went there, but wasn’t very interested as it was mostly designer/expensive brands that I saw, so went off in search of markets and stalls. Your comments have definitely helped though and have given me ideas for what to do next time.

Keep the ideas coming, cheers!

Ya, I don;t go there either, you just asked for dept stores.

Jade market is the place for cool stuff. You’re even expected to haggle :smiley:

http://www.taiwanfun.com/central/taichung/index.htm

try out some of these places

There is a new department store called Far Eastern Top City right next to Mitsukoshi on Taichung Harbor Road. It’s supposed to be “big”.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Jade Market looks good, but the site says its only run 3 days a week, anyone know what days they run?

Chung Hua market, Taichung Electronics Street and -Jing Ming First Street (“Cafe Street”) all look pretty good too, has anyone been there, and if so what are they like? Thanks!

Chances are any store that are in Taichung will be closed during New Years until the 4th day at the earliest.

I heard there are industrial machine suppliers and wood suppliers in Taichung… I wish I knew where it is though.