Any Taiwan rock melons as sweet as Hokkaido Rock Melons?

Did you try yet?

1 Like

The farms near me just finished harvest a couple weeks back and have cut the weeds for tilling. Interestingly one of tem planted another curcubit (sprawling type) immediately after. Havent talked with them yet so not sure what they are yet, just see seedlings.

The pumpkins i got were pretty bland. No idea why, though this years wet plus fertilizer makes me think its just watery pumped up veg. We got zero harvest a snails ate all my plants…f*@!ers

How is everything growing for you?

1 Like

I have re started with some added new soil, last time the fruit would not grow

1 Like

Second round/try, have flowers now.

1 Like

Nice. If you have more than one, will you try hand crossing?

1 Like

Thanks, and I will try help out the bees.

1 Like

Do you use covered beds much? Would they have stopped the escargot from pillaging your crop?

I’m using raised, covered beds here in Hokkaido for the first time with all my leafy vegetables and it seems to have stopped the leaf nibblers cold.

1 Like

Not in the sense you are. We have raised riws, but only 20~30 cm. I agree raised beds are wonderful, but the costs would be too high for us to make them.

They wont stop them though. We find snails on 3rd and 4rh floors here eating the concrete.

I would think in Hokkaido its less sever due to colder temps. My only snail issue is with african land snails. Those things are somethun else. All the small native ones i can live with their damage is minimal.

This is what hate looks like:

1 Like

I regret reading the wikipedia page about this creature.

Yikes. I’ve never seen a snail here. It gets cool to cold at night here even in the summer so my pest problems are manageable.

1 Like

BIG !

1 Like

They really are a bane to farmers. We can thank them for a lot of chemicals used in our plant food production in taiwan. Ironically they are still farmed a lot for meat, so they are here to stay. I guess southern japan could have them?

We can collected bucket loads daily. Too tresome now we just give them astimp and move on. Calcium for the soil.

Google pic. Havent seen any that big, but pretty close. Last year saw a massive one about 90% that size around Daan park. So big you wonder if you might hurt yourself trying to kill them.

That goes from house to snail to the soil

2 Likes

Ya lol. They eat the bark off small trees as well. never in the clear til stems are wrist diameter it seems.

1 Like

It could be worse . . . at least they don’t try to eat you.

Yes a lot of bears and too many deer, way too many that they hope people eat them like in Ramen and steaks.

1 Like

Just don’t eat the smail. the cement is toxic.

Any less so than the dumplings?

Musk or Rock Melons from Pingtung it seems at Hanshin Supermarket, a bit expensive

but cheap than this expensive berry from Japan, (who would buy this?)