Any Taiwan rock melons as sweet as Hokkaido Rock Melons?

Environment is important too. Thats . Dud for sure. I would jsut cut it and dispose to avoid more spead of pathogens. I would be checking your great environment (open air is best, balconies tend.to have dead spots for air flow), soil is important as well as root space. Root bound plants tend to snowball after the time Etc.
Those pathogens though arent great to keep around. Half the reason farmers spray so much here is poor field hygiene.

I did cut it off, some new ones slow growing but growing.

1 Like

After the month, any pic updates?

Again, im not the melon guy. But most of the ā€œvegetableā€ type squashes are being planted now and for the last month. Just to give an idea of regular (heavily sprayed) farmersā€™ planning.

1 Like

These are doing better than the melons, red ripe.

2 Likes

Can you guess what kind of Chile is it?

Nah there are so many thousands of varieties and hybridsā€¦usually flowers are a slightly more accurate way of identifying them. But its honestly pretty hard given the broad range, long history of breeding, nd ease of cross polination.

So, i would just call them ā€œhome grown are the bestā€ chili haha.

1 Like

It is å”å®“č¾£ę¤’ (pepper Cayenne), grows well and hotter than I expected.

2 Likes

Slow growth. I will try a new plant in area of more sun.

Bummer. All the pumpkin fields around me are harvesting now.

They really are space hogs!

1 Like

Yes, takes space. Taste good?

Not sure. We always get loads for free after finisbe harvesting. The mix match sizes, damaged etc. so i havent had any yet.

1 Like

Sounds good ! Can taste good depending on how it is prepared.

1 Like

Did you try yet?

1 Like

The farms near me just finished harvest a couple weeks back and have cut the weeds for tilling. Interestingly one of tem planted another curcubit (sprawling type) immediately after. Havent talked with them yet so not sure what they are yet, just see seedlings.

The pumpkins i got were pretty bland. No idea why, though this years wet plus fertilizer makes me think its just watery pumped up veg. We got zero harvest a snails ate all my plantsā€¦f*@!ers

How is everything growing for you?

1 Like

I have re started with some added new soil, last time the fruit would not grow

1 Like

Second round/try, have flowers now.

1 Like

Nice. If you have more than one, will you try hand crossing?

1 Like

Thanks, and I will try help out the bees.

1 Like

Do you use covered beds much? Would they have stopped the escargot from pillaging your crop?

Iā€™m using raised, covered beds here in Hokkaido for the first time with all my leafy vegetables and it seems to have stopped the leaf nibblers cold.

1 Like

Not in the sense you are. We have raised riws, but only 20~30 cm. I agree raised beds are wonderful, but the costs would be too high for us to make them.

They wont stop them though. We find snails on 3rd and 4rh floors here eating the concrete.

I would think in Hokkaido its less sever due to colder temps. My only snail issue is with african land snails. Those things are somethun else. All the small native ones i can live with their damage is minimal.

This is what hate looks like:

1 Like