Any Travellers' Tips on Koh PhaNgan?

So, I thought I was going to Bali and Flores, and you gave me some great advice about that, but that trip has been postponed until low season. Now I’m going to Koh PhaNgan for a couple of weeks. It looks like I’ll be there for the 20-year anniversary of Full Moon in June’s blue moon. :slight_smile:

Any advice or tips on getting there from Bangkok, or on things to see and do whilst I’m there?

Leaving on the 19th. Can’t wait! :sunglasses: :slight_smile:

Hat Rin and the Full Moon parties are VILE unless you enjoy ‘partying’ with the most desperately boring people on the planet.

Long-boat up to the northern beaches, being sure to avoid anywhere that advertises yoga or ‘spa’ as they have no air-conditioning and horrible food. Bungalows up in the mountains have good views and are quieter but there are frogsratsspiderssnakes everywhere. Double eek. I stayed at The Sanctuary, which I didn’t much like, but which many rave about. They have tons of veggie food.

I enjoyed the full moon party when I was there, and the black moon party was even better as there was only about 100-200 people. But that was 10 years ago, I was 23 and into partying. I don’t think I’d enjoy them now.

If the party scene is not for you, consider taking a boat over to Koh Tao for a couple of days - there are some really nice spots on Koh Tao to stay at.

You might want to check the electricity situation - quite a few places only had electricity between 6pm and midnight, which is not so pleasant, especially if you’ve got gadgets that need batteries charged, or like sleeping without sweating.

Police presence will be heavy around the full moon. Don’t do anything illegal - even a little spliff can mean big trouble. And if you rent a motorbike, wear a helmet and don’t drink-ride. Obvious I know, but lots of previously sensible people turn silly when they go to KPG.

Huh? Wrote a long one but the damned ghost in the machine ate my homework.

Upshot was that the best cheaper option to get there is the overnight train to Surathani then ferry to Phangan, but do get a sleeper.

As cfimages says, Koh Tao is also very nice, definitely nicer for snorkelling and chillin’. It’s only an hour or so away by boat.

HG

It was about 9 years agoo I spent a few weeks on KPN, but …

The island is kind of square shaped with the port of Tongsala at the bottom left and Hat Rin at the bottom right (that’s the party beach). My advice is to get as far away as possible from that beach (just visit when you want to party. The beach of Mae Hat up the top left was great when I stayed there. Very chilled. The first ‘resort’ there had the best food, but as I say that was 9 years ago.

Brian