Any updated info on debit cards for foreigners?

I searched on here but wasn’t able to find anything that wasn’t over 10 years old. I hold an APRC(yes, APRC not ARC -not sure if that helps) and want to get a local debit card. I have plenty of ATM cards here but always have to use my American debit card to shop online or use the 711 pick up method. Does anyone know where’s the best bank to go to for foreigners to get a debit easily (preferably in Hsinchu)? Not looking for a credit card because I don’t feel comfortable borrowing money and can’t afford to get into debt now. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Any major bank will give you the option of a Visa linked debit card when you open an account. All my debit cards double as Visa cards but with no credit line.

3 Likes

Is that new? I remember when I was making my accounts years ago, the only thing they would give me was ATM cards because I was foreign. Or did I just have bad luck?

It’s not new, I have 17 cards to go with my 17 failed employments. You must have applied for an account with no ARC or no income. Although I see you have an APRC. If that is through marriage you might need your wife/husband to be a guarantor.

1 Like

It’s an APRC (says APRC and 永久居留證 on it) so it doesn’t need that. I came here on a marriage ARC (JFRV?) but transferred to a APRC after 5 years.

Maybe because I freelance? What kind of things are required to get one? I find it odd that it’s so hard to get a debit card. It’s not like it’s a credit card unless I am missing something.

For sure it’s because you freelance. We all rock up with ARC’s with an employer listed so it’s proof of a steady income. But yeah, I have no idea why they can’t give you a Visa debit card, except rules/dumb Taiwan.

1 Like

Thanks, I guess that is a disadvantage to having an open work permit and APRC. Does seem silly though. Even if I ran off, what’s the worst that could happen if I don’t borrow money and only use my own?

When’s the last time you tried? There should be no issues getting a Visa debit card linked to your account these days.

1 Like

Chang Hwa Bank (2 years ago) and Post Bank (1 year ago) gave me a debit card without questions. I was asked if I want a credit card but I declined.

Using Chang Hwa Bank debit card for online purchases often triggers a high risk transaction for some reason, might be because I always use a VPN service on the internet. The transaction is declined followed by a call from their service center. After they green-light the transaction I can try again and it works. Their number is on the card if they do not call you in time.

This has to be done once for the online retailers I use.
I guess better safe than sorry.

Chang Hwa Bank sends me a letter with all transactions listed every month.

I rarely use the Post Bank debit card.

1 Like

About 4-5 years ago. I guess it’s changed.

How is the post office debit card? I had an ATM card from them before.

Easy enough in most banks though Mega won’t give me one with 9+ years of monthly deposits. They openly say it’s the ‘foreigner thing’.

2 Likes

That’s terrible. Luckily I don’t have a mega anywhere nearby me. Thanks for the tip, I’ll be sure to avoid them. I think I saw on an older thread that they were the go to bank for debit cards for foreigners. Guess that changed.

I did not have any issues with them, but rarely used.

Anyone tried online banking with Post Bank?

Chang Hwa Bank online banking is a bit outdated (like most online services in Taiwan) but it is in English. I just use it to check the balance and transactions.
You will need a card reader to use other online services. I don’t need it so I don’t bother.

1 Like

For this I’d actually recommend Taiwan Cooperative Bank (合作金庫). They’ll try to dissuade you at the door from even opening an account, but when they finally did the Visa they gave me had international, online transactions enabled. Cathay and Citi both said “foreigners aren’t allowed to make international debit transactions”.

2 Likes

Post bank even gives debit cards without ARC now (still need the number and proof of residence though).
Their VISA cards have online transactions and works internationally but I’m not sure about international transfers.

2 Likes

Yeah, international transactions you have to constantly tell them to green light them and keep that light green. If you get rebuffed by one ATM in Thailand they’ll likely suspend access from overseas ATMs. I’ve literally gone into my branch and told them to leave access open in all scenarios. i.e. unless I tell you I want to be able to access, like, my own money whereever I am in the world. Dickheads.

1 Like

They gave me a Visa debit card when I opened an account at Mega.

1 Like

But be very careful when you use your debit card overseas!
Card skimmers are a thing on ATMs and in shops. Fraud against a debit card is not insured like credit cards! If they copy your card and film your pin code the money is gone for good.

Only use a credit card when travelling for this reason. In case of fraud the insurance eats the cost.

1 Like

I’ve had my card turned off so many times I just carry USD and only use the debit card in places I trust (friend’s guesthouses etc.).

1 Like