Any writers around?

Hey, I would like to meet some writers,or editors. Got some ideas to share and may need opinions from other writers. Just hanging out or simply complaining.

if you are, pm me.

How hard is it to get published? For example, should I write my material out or seek a publisher first?

You should at least write a proposal first. Explainning your idea to the publishers. Then if some publisher is interested in it, they will offeryou a contract. You have to deliever you book in the dateline. In another month or two of editng, you chould see your book on the shelf.

Check out the “Calling All Editors” thread or pop over to the Taiwan Foreign Language Editors’ Corner on MSN.

acwriter,
Why don’t who post a link to some of your work?

sticks of fury,
It’s usually hard for a first-time writer to get published. When you contact a publisher you should have a covering letter, a brief description of the content (chapter by chapter), and a few sample chapters to showcase your style and prove that you can actually write.
Self-publishing is an option. Or you could make your own website.

Not to put too sharp a point on it, but the first thing you should seriously be asking yourself is this: Do I even know how to write? And does anyone care to read what I do write?
Many (think they) are called, but few are chosen.
Having read, or tried to wade through, many books written by foreign writers in Taiwan, I’d have to say that basic construction skills are usually lacking.
Books about Taiwan written by foreigners tend to be either rambling or a collection of personal tales or both.
Also ask yourself who you are writing for. Is it going to be a vanity publication for yourself and your relatives? Is it an English grammar? Is it something that will need to be translated into Chinese? (Figure NT$1.5 more or less per Chinese character for that.) Do you expect to make a return on your investment or do you want to move to Chaiyi and sell your book in the night market from the back of your bicycle?
I have been in-country for almost 18 years (June 26 will be the anniversary, YIKES!) and although the thought has crossed my mind, I have never tried to write a book. I answered my own first question with, "Yes, maybe I can write, but frankly, who the hell would want to read what I write?

(I assume here that the initial post was about writers other than those who earn their money here freelancing in features or news.)

It’s a shame you couldn’t extend the same courtesy to us all here! :laughing:

Oh, just kidding. Buckets of apologies. :smiley:

Well, you could start a poll.
Sort of an online Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery.”

Jeez, Wolfman, the way you write …“I have been in-country for almost 18 years” … in-country… sounds like you are writing about the Vietnam War.

Is that what brought you here? 18 years! YIKES. You deserve some kind of award. Any nominations for a name of the prize?

I’ll go first:

The Wolf Reinhold In-country Longevity Award

I know others like Hartzell have more in-country time than you, but you seem destined for some kind of special award…

and yes, most importantly, if ANYONE should write a book about his or her life in Taiwan, it should be you. It would be very worth reading. I am sure 100 of us here on the board would read it, and support you, just like we did for TC Lin’s army book. it would really make an interseting read, why someone like yourself, stayed for so long. did you marry a local woman (assuming that you’re a man, can’t tell from your username…)? what kept you here so long? Do u plan to die here? Much later, of course…

When you walk into a bookstore looking for English-language works on Taiwan, you find very little to choose from. What books would you like to be able to read?
Choose a topic; Wildlife, women (perhaps Omni could write one), WWII, Taiwan’s military, the economic miracle, martial arts, gangsters???

Wolfman, i thought of a title for your new book:

“18 years here, and I still haven’t written a book!”

if anyone could write it, you could. from all your posts here, i am sure you could write a very good book. you said many are called, only a few are chosen. but you can also choose yourself. Don’t wait to get discovered. YOU NEVER WILL GET DISCOVERED. Just discover yourself, and write your book. you have a ready group of readers here, what a great chance. Wolfman, you cannot say no to an opportunity like this…

I have to agree with formosa here. Wolf, you could write a damn good book if you wanted to. Your English teaching story is probably the best and funniest post in the history of Forumosa. Write another ten or so stories like that and you will be more famous than Hartzell :laughing:

[quote=“almas john”]When you walk into a bookstore looking for English-language works on Taiwan, you find very little to choose from. What books would you like to be able to read?
Choose a topic; Wildlife, women (perhaps Omni could write one), WWII, Taiwan’s military, the economic miracle, martial arts, gangsters???[/quote]

All of these please. Wildlife–yes, very important especially as most of it is rapidly disappearing. Women–of course, with pictures :wink:. WWII–it would be very interesting to know more about the history of Taiwan in this period. Gangsters–this would be most fascinating if you could get the inside story.

Choose a topic; Wildlife, women (perhaps Omni could write one), WWII, Taiwan’s military, the economic miracle, martial arts, gangsters???
Oh, hell. I

Gee Wolf,
You’ve covered all the topics. No need for me to bother writing anything.

Given your obvious talents, and the lack of English-language material available about Taiwan, why wouldn’t you be interested in writing a book or two? For example, if you are interested in birdwatching, why not do a “Birds of Taiwan”?
I can only think that
a. you are not interested in writing for charity. (ie. who wants to spend two years writing something and not get any financial return).
b. you don’t have any interests.
c. you don’t have the stamina.
d. your active sexlife doesn’t allow any time or energy for other pursuits.

Actually John, I am too exhausted from shagging all those native birds to summon up the interest and, as you know, charity begins at home. :wink:

Life is hard, then you die wishing that you had written that book.

Did anyone else read Taipei Mutt (i think)? A real mess. I managed to stick with it to the end for the ‘dog shags the older woman’ finale but it was all rather painful.