Anybody been to Dubai?

I’m going through Dubai, and I was wondering whether it might be worth stopping over for a night.
Has anyone been?
Is it worth checking out? Is it super pricey? I imagine I’d mainly want to wander round a souk, eat some street snacks.
Is it reasonably safe/hassle free for a single female?
Any random tips/thoughts would be appreciated
Cheers,
Kitkat

Things to do in Dubai

1. Visit a souk, check out their gold souks. The amount of bling is blinding!
  2. During the evenings, smoke a shisha at one of the outdoor cafes, whilst drinking mint tea and eating falafels
  3. Go on a desert safari
  4. SHOP SHOP SHOP
  5. BEACH BEACH BEACH
  6. And if you have the $$ and want to splurge, visit the Burj Al Arab hotel

With the exception of the souks and the desert, you will notice that everything else in Dubai are less than 10 years old. It’s all gleaming and sparkling and fancy. It can be fun

It’s perfectly safe for a solo woman travelers. You don’t have to cover up from head to toe, you will be perfectly OK walking around in a t-shirt and pants. So long as it’s not too sexy (like super tight tank tops and micro mini skirts), you’ll be fine

Have fun!

Does one need a visa?

[quote=“mlpgd”]Things to do in Dubai

1. Visit a souk, check out their gold souks. The amount of bling is blinding!
  2. During the evenings, smoke a shisha at one of the outdoor cafes, whilst drinking mint tea and eating falafels
  3. Go on a desert safari
  4. SHOP SHOP SHOP
  5. BEACH BEACH BEACH
  6. And if you have the $$ and want to splurge, visit the Burj Al Arab hotel

With the exception of the souks and the desert, you will notice that everything else in Dubai are less than 10 years old. It’s all gleaming and sparkling and fancy. It can be fun

It’s perfectly safe for a solo woman travelers. You don’t have to cover up from head to toe, you will be perfectly OK walking around in a t-shirt and pants. So long as it’s not too sexy (like super tight tank tops and micro mini skirts), you’ll be fine

Have fun![/quote]

This just about covers it.

Wild Wadi (just next to the Burj Al Arab) is fun too…with amusing sights of women covered head-to-toe in balck on the worlds fastest water slides. The indoor skiing at the Emarites Mall is fun too…don’t mind that you only get 45min - it takes about 30sec to go down and 1min to get back up - you’ll be really sore by the time you’re done.

The coolest thing we did was spend one evening out in the desert sitting on a rug with pillows with dinner and a nice hookah to follow. The stars were like being out to sea…

I was a little dissapointed by the shopping, there seemed little arbitrage opportunity as the prices were generally the same as HKG and mostly the same stores.

I just saw this: Marvel theme park to open in Dubai

[quote]NEW YORK (AP) - The Persian Gulf city of Dubai is already home to manmade resort islands shaped like palm trees, a mall with indoor skiing in the desert, and a building that will be the world’s tallest when completed next year.

Marvel theme park to open in Dubai

Now add to the list of wonders a billion-dollar amusement park themed on Marvel comics.

Marvel Entertainment announced the deal in New York on March 21, saying that Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, X-Men, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk and the other Marvel heroes will be the focus of the park.

The park will be developed by United Arab Emirate-based Al Ahli Group and is scheduled to open in 2011. Investment in the project will total US$1 billion, according to the agency handling publicity in New York, Dan Klores Communications.

The team developing the concept will include staff in Hollywood, Orlando and Dubai.[/quote]

Oh yeah…one more thing (two actually)

1. The entire city is one huge construction site
  2. The traffic is worse than LA