Anybody develop respiratory problems in Taiwan?

I have developed some pretty serious respiratory problems since coming to Taiwan…I think it is a combination of the dust in the air, bad circulation in an office environment, humidity, and the sudden changes from hot to cold (A/C to going outside)…I went from constantly dry coughing to constant phlegm buildup stuck in my throat and occassionally shortness of breath causing me to tear…I went to traditional Western doctors in Taiwan and they said that my respiratory system has become hypersensitive, and gave me the standard antihistamines…they work when I take it, but didn’t really solve the problem…when I went back to Vancouver…I thought it would clear, but did not…went to Western doctor in Vancouver and it was antihistamines AGAIN…however, the shortness of breath went away when I stayed in Vancouver for a bit…but the coughing and phlegm still persists…I finally went to a Chinese doctor in Vancouver, who helped me out with Chinese medicine…feeling much better now…the Western and Chinese doctors told me if the problem had continued, I would sooner or later be using asthma medicine…

This has me worried…I seldom get sick or am allergic to anything…since coming to Taiwan, it feels as if my body has completely broken down…ugh…anybody else have similar experiences??? Especially respiratory…and how did you go about dealing with it???

Anyone NOT have these problems?

I’ve developed allergies, shortness of breath, cough…

I try to work it out exercising in a cleaner environment. Other than that… :idunno: Definitely a reason to be not here.

i went to see my my family doc in vancouver about 1.5-2 years after getting here, and being sick often. he told me honestly that it would take about 5 years for my body to get used to the conditions present here. he was right - it took about 4.5 years.

take your multivitamins, eat your fruit/veggies, don’t go boozing 6 days a week, sleep enough, and as mentioned above get some exercise in a clean air environment.

these will all help you in the long-run, if you choose to stay.

I have developed shortness of breath, wheezing, night rigors (very scary), phlegm pouring out of my hooter, or turning to cement and jamming my brain up, constant coughing and itchy itchy eyes.

I am told by doctors that it is because I travel between Taichung, Taoyuan and Taipei so frequently. Taichung is dry and Taipei/ Taoyuan are wet, and my body doesn’t like the changes. Apparently nothing to do with the filthy filthy air.

What I LOVE about the whole situation is the way the people around me constantly make me feel that this is my fault. Like, cos I am white I do things which mean I deserve this problem! Thats always the best part. “Why you always so sick, what do you do at night?” “Erm, read and sleep…” Perhaps people think I dance for the devil each night and he rewards me with poor respiration. :loco:

:notworthy: I actually laughed out loud in the office at this one. The woman at the desk across from me is constantly coughing this nasty dry, insistent little cough. For the past six months. She is always saying how her health isn’t good. Yesterday I came in with a thundering headache (due to not getting any sleep, which in turn was due to a whole train of loud noises in my usually quiet neighbourhood the night before, including an ambulance, shagging cats, modded scooters and my electric fan choosing to self-destruct at 4am). First thing I do is drink a pint of water and pop a couple of painkillers - to be told that if I ate biandang like everyone else instead of my weird western sandwiches, I wouldn’t get such terrible problems. :astonished:

I think it shows what a long way I have come towards understanding the 5,000 year-culture deal that I just smiled, said “you’re probably right” and turned back to my computer.

She’s still coughing.

Good good…at first, I thought I was an isolated freak case…so I’m not that wimpy afterall :bravo:

i have developed chronic ear infections that result in having to get a needle rammed through my ear drum to drain the infection every couple of months. according to my ENT i see every few weeks he says its because of the dirty water. :s

Used to get bronchitis several times a year like clockwork. The ENT I used had my prescription in the computer as some kind of macro, I think. I haven’t had anything like it since being back in the clean air (?) of the States. Well, cleaner, anyway.

If you have it for three weeks or less, it

Taffy wrote:

[quote]First thing I do is drink a pint of water and pop a couple of painkillers - to be told that if I ate biandang like everyone else instead of my weird western sandwiches, I wouldn’t get such terrible problems.

I think it shows what a long way I have come towards understanding the 5,000 year-culture deal that I just smiled, said “you’re probably right” and turned back to my computer.

She’s still coughing.[/quote]

:bravo: Brilliant, absoutely Brilliant!!!

Pluck-A-Duck wrote:

I would recommend getting an air purifier and a dehumidifier and closing all windows.

When I first moved here 8 years ago I came with a friend named Chris. After about 2 years here…he developed such sever breathing problems…that he couldn’t do anything for more than 10 minutes without having an attack. He moved back to Canada and was practically an invalid…since he’s unable to even walk for more than a few minutes. Before Taiwan he’d never had any respiratory problems. He also jogged a lot while he was here…this probably added to the problem.

When I got my lungs ex-rayed for my health check the doctor asked how much I smoke…I told him I don’t. He told me I had a lot of scar tissue on my lungs. I asked if this would get better if I went back to Canada…and he said “Well, it won’t get worse.” .

its very important to wear a mask while driving here…sucks during summer!!

Hello frenzz,
Actually,now I am getting one here… my eyes getting itchy and itchy and itchy all night till I can’t get sleep…
I have been here(taipei) for about 2 and half years. and this is the first time I got this kind of allergic. It begin when the early of march, everyday I got to sneeze about 50-100 times, and 4-5 times at once. and my eyes going mad, really itchy in the midnight and morning especially. after 1month have that kind of suffer, i went to doctor, and she gave me antihestamine eye drops. and she said this is an allergic, cannot be cure, just can avoid what you allegic from, so she told me to find out what cause my allergic. and I told her it never happen before. and then I took the eye drop when my eyes got itchy and it went well, so I stop the medicine. and maybe because summer, so the air is not that humid anymore, so I forgot about my allergic. But recently the weather in taipei going crazy again and my eyes getting itchier than before…
I don’t want to go back to the doctor i went before, can anybody help me to find the antihestamine eye drop in public market. i mean what is the antihestamin spell in chinese???