Anybody interested in having an Investing Club/Meeting?

There’s an Entrepreneur Club/Meeting, but apparently nothing for Investing.
Anyone interested in having a preliminary informal one in TPE? Maybe sometime in February.

I’m a serious part-time investor/trader (roughly 50% each, long-term + short-term). Been doing it for about 4-5 years, with 80% of my money in my brokerage account. Used to be a hardcore saver, but investing is now the only way I grow my wealth (if you have enough capital, income from a job is low in comparison to the work hours put in). I still teach part-time to cover my living expenses because I don’t want any pressure for monthly income. Plus, I hate withdrawing from my account - would rather see it grow. I’m 38, and would like to be Relatively financially independent in 5-10 years. Doable if I maintain close to my previous 5-year performance, but past performance doesn’t guarantee future results.

I mostly invest/trade in oil-correlated individual stocks listed in the US, and usually only 8-10 positions of unequal weighting. (This is actually considered very high-risk to have all your eggs in 1 or 2 sectors, but so far it’s worked for me). Usually undervalued mid-caps trending up on momentum. I look for companies which I can hold long-term (+1 year), but I will often sell earlier depending on what the market does, how the stock performs in relation to the market, how my portfolio is doing, etc.

Not really looking to exchange stock picks (I don’t think that’s a great strategy for consistent long-term performance), although if others are interested in doing that, so be it. Stock selection is obviously a very critical aspect, but it’s not the only one. I’ve done OK enough on my own, so I’m not inclined to follow anybody else’s random stock pick. Personally, I’m more interested in investing/trading philosophy, strategy, analysis, and macro. I really do believe that everyone must develop their own style that suits their own interests, personality, strengths, and goals.

I just like conversing about stock investing/trading, since it’s my primary method of wealth building (not at all interested in climbing a company ladder or starting a business).

So if anyone is interested or has any questions, post a public reply.

I am Interested
I Like to research tech stocks and the companies behind the newest and greatest stuff.
If the whole world goes electric then batteries are the new oil, So I like battery companies.
Pm me if you get a meeting organized with location time and date.

[quote=“chrisE30bm”]I am Interested
I like to research tech stocks and the companies behind the newest and greatest stuff.
If the whole world goes electric then batteries are the new oil, So I like battery companies.
Pm me if you get a meeting organized with location time and date.[/quote]

I would also be interested although I mostly play on the Toronto Ventures exchange. As for high tech stocks, the ones I’m following are INT.v and SIO.v.

DYODD

Chris/Bernard:
Sorry for the late reply - been absorbed with my investments. It’s earnings season (very positive so far), and I’m also currently heavily concentrated in a very volatile sector (solar), so I’ve got to pay more attention than usual. Hope you both have done well YTD with the recent run-up!

What days/times/areas are convenient for the both of you? I get off work at 7PM, M-F. Weekends are also OK. I don’t know of many places, since I don’t go to bars all that much. Prefer somewhere on the MRT Brown or Blue lines (I don’t use a scooter, and I live in Nankang). Only places I know of off the top of my head are the Brass Monkey & the place across the street from it, My Other Place or something.

I’d be interested. Keep me posted

Me, too.

Kenneth