Anybody interested in starting a (online) photography club

Well, what do you say? Are you interested in starting a photography club right here on forumosa? How would we go about it?

Do they give each other advice on how to improve their techniques or is it only for posting photos?

AAF - I’d be up for it.

How about a monthly forumosa photo contest?

If you have any suggestions as to how to go about it, please do.

It sounds good. All we have to come up with are the categories and criteria.

Please let me know when the Club is open. Thank you

I think it will have to be a decision we make together. Your input will be most welcome.

Categories:
Eating, religion or spirituality, consumerism, local fashion trends, nature, scooter culture, betel nut girls, commuting on the bus or MRT, inertia, architecture, Mormons, convenience stores, night markets etc…

Criteria:
B&W, colour and non-extreme digital manipulation (lets keep the imagery based in reality).

[quote=“texmoe”]Categories:
Eating, religion or spirituality, consumerism, local fashion trends, nature, scooter culture, betel nut girls, commuting on the bus or MRT, inertia, architecture, Mormons, convenience stores, night markets etc…

Criteria:
B&W, colour and non-extreme digital manipulation (lets keep the imagery based in reality).[/quote]

I agree that it should be kept real.

[quote=“texmoe”]Categories:
religion or spirituality :s , consumerism :help: , local fashion trends :loco: , scooter culture :noway: , betel nut girls :notworthy: , commuting on the bus or MRT :astonished: , Mormons, convenience stores, night markets etc…

[/quote]

that sounds very weird

anyhow,does one need a 900$ camera to be a “playah”?

[quote=“dablindfrog”][quote=“texmoe”]Categories:
religion or spirituality :s , consumerism :help: , local fashion trends :loco: , scooter culture :noway: , betel nut girls :notworthy: , commuting on the bus or MRT :astonished: , Mormons, convenience stores, night markets etc…

[/quote]

that sounds very weird

anyhow,does one need a 900$ camera to be a “playah”?[/quote]

No, think about these photos and the primitive cameras they were taken with:

AAF - the Nick Ut photo (Kim Phuc - napalm girl) was shot with a 1965 Leica M2 with 35mm Summicron. There’s a 1965 M2 with 35mm Summicron on the auction site at the moment that’s going for US$1800.

As for ideas about how to go about setting one up -

1)http://www.photo.net/- Free to set up a basic account, US$25/year for an unlimited account. I have an unlimited account valid until 2009 on there. It’s an excellent site - galleries, forums, critiques. It’d be pretty easy to set up a new account, give all interested people the login info and let people upload photo’s to there. The photo’s would be able to be critiqued by any member on photo.net, but uploads could be restricted to forumosa people. To get enough space for more than a couple of photo’s, we’d need to pay the $25. I’d be happy to pay the money (I’m already an active member there) but I no longer have a credit card, so I wouldn’t be able to make the actual payment. My gallery is photo.net/photos/cfimages

2)http://www.jeber.com/ - I’m also registered there. It’s free, and is geared to critiques and photo clubs. Again, any registered members would be able to critique an image, but if a new club was created that was for Taiwan only photo’s, uploads would be restricted to, well, Taiwan only photo’s. I’ll take a look tomorrow (I’m too tired now) and see if it’s workable.

1. Stray Dog (you’re fairly new here, so you may not know him, but others will) tried to organise a camera club in Taipei a while ago. I believe it kind of came to nothing (I live south of Taichung, so getting up to meetings in Taipei regularly was not so easy), but at one meeting I went to, we all kicked in some dollars for some extra space on a pbase account. I don’t think it ever really got used. As far as I know, Stray Dog and I were the only ones to upload photo’s to it. It may be possible to make something out of that. pbase.com/taipeicameraclub The Matsu2005 and Consumption galleries are my stuff, the other 2 are Stray Dog’s.