Anybody remeber Texas Chicken

Ahh that chicken was good and they did crinkle fries. Where did they go? And where did all the custard tart shops go. In fact the bloody shops and trends change pretty quickly here. And what happened to all the 50 pizza shops. Why the bloody hell are 85 coffee shops everywhere. Is their coffeee and cake that great.How long are they going to last.
What happened to the shops where they put the german sausages in pre holed french bread.

Why have all the subway sandwiches gone from Tainan. Why did Tesco’s pull out. The bastards. Where is the salad cream gone, gravy mix and all other nice things.

Why has my local bakery stopped doing rolls. Why is Mr Marks so expensive. Bloody rant rant rant.
Don’t even have enough stirrers to finish my house. Gluuueee

And Wendy’s…

I remember the Texas Chicken over by the Tainan train station - those crinkle fries were awesome.

Answer here:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 613#165613

Anything fine or nice in Taiwan is doomed to be discontinued, ruined or incapacitated.

I know of 3 Subways in Tainan as well as 4 other shops that do pretty good sub sandwiches.

Tesco is now Carrefour, RT Mart is still open.

The new Carrefour has a Burger King in it.

“…salad cream gone, gravy mix and all other nice things”…KLIN MINI SUPERMARKET, among numerous other stores carrying these items, on the corner of Fucian & Namen Rd. 218 Fucian Rd. Sec 1.

Get out more.

There are a few Texas Chicken (aka California (aka Church’s)) that refused to close after the chain folded. I read in the paper that the Taiwan chain was shut down by the Church’s head office in the states when it just flat out stopped paying for use of the name, logos, menu, recipes, etc…)

There is one on HuaXia Rd. & Chongde Rd., in Kaohsiung (with the California name) still. The food is still the same… the owner just simply refused to pack up shop. :wink:

Churchs Texas Fried Chicken was my fav fried chicken. And the taiwan ones seem even better then the ones in California.

Nowadays in CAlifornia the best chicken chain is POPEYE’s. Great chicken and cajun style mashed potatos. Maybe some enterprising fellow will bring that to Taiwan? I cant imagine it wont be a success (at least in the short term). Taiwans a pretty tuff biz environment.

If your game isnt tight, its not gonna last !

Also Taiwanese are very faddish. The egg tarts had been famous in Macau for decades (the original store was excellent, hole in the wall, out in the boonies in Macau). Somebody brought that to Taiwan. A whole industry grew up overnight. But one can only have so much egg tarts !! The market was short term and unsustainable.

i think any chain in Taiwan has to be carefully executed. Maintain high standards and no rapid expansion.

[quote="?SyntaxError"]There are a few Texas Chicken (aka California (aka Church’s)) that refused to close after the chain folded. I read in the paper that the Taiwan chain was shut down by the Church’s head office in the states when it just flat out stopped paying for use of the name, logos, menu, recipes, etc…)

There is one on Huaxia Rd. & Chongde Rd., in Kaohsiung (with the California name) still. The food is still the same… the owner just simply refused to pack up shop. :wink:[/quote]
Your facts are a little skewed. None of the owners packed up shop and the chain didn’t fold - the local franchisers reneged on their contracts and stopped paying the franchise fees. The logo was tweaked ever-so-slightly and they changed the English name of the chain to Gold-n-tex chicken, but kept the Chinese name that Church’s was using - Dezou Zaji (Texas fried chicken). Of course Church’s took them to court, but the local judges ruled that the name was sufficently vague as to make the copyright unenforceable. One small victory for scofflaws, and a major defeat for international business in Taiwan. I know this because I was teaching at the law firm, Tsar & Tsai, that was handling the case when it happened.

So these were Churchs’ Chicken here on the island?

Churchs’ was one of my fav chicken places in the USA. Great side dishes…and hot peppers…mmmm.
Dirty rice & red beans to die for.

They are not subways anymore if you mean the one on Linsen road and opp the uni. Can you tell me where the other Subway sub shops are not just chef fresh or yellow sub or any others but subway. No salad cream in klin and I am sorry but carrefour is just not tesco although I must admit RT mart has got better.
Wish I could get out more then I could go to costco in khh and spend a fortune on things I don’t need. What a nasty reply for just a conversation on things that have died in Taiwan.
I bake my own bread so I don’t care about subway. I order from England all the things I need. Just making conversation. Can even buy McCain crinkle cut french fries in welcome but then I was just saying how quickly things change in Taiwan. But then Tainan doesn’t exist… does it?
Happy Chinese New Year to everybody and thanks to the Landis for doing a great spread at Christmas.

Bit there. Didn’t I. Where have all the big walls around the parks gone. Now anybody can get out of the zoo. Next I’ll have to go to the armoury because that’s a good place to go to. Just to get out more and meet more people. Where did Makro’s go. They decide to pull out as well. There used to be a Wendy’s in Tainan in the old tuntex department store. It had an ice skating ring up on the sixth or seventh floor. That was a fun place to go. What happened to the Western that was a good pub. Yep we’ve got a burger king hooray. Now let’s build one in the middle. 21st fried chicken seems to have gone as well. Warner and UCI cinemas they have gone. Not closed I know but their names have gone. Does this mean that the standards will slowly drop in these cinemas.

Yeah…Texas Chicken was great. Far superior to KFC.

is it still good? even tho they dont call it Churchs anymore in Taiwan?

Oh, I forgot about the Makro out there - remember the Hardees they used to have across the street from Far Eastern? Speaking of bars, whatever happened to Dirty Roger’s?

Good Grief!
I apologize for offending your delicate sensitivities. I did not mean to be “nasty” in any manner. I was simply trying to help you with some of the things you were reminiscing about. A point in the right direction.

And it appears I have no idea what “salad cream” is.

That’s ok old bean no offense taken just caught me at the wrong time. Ahhh the good old days. Not quite sure what salad cream is made of. Mostly vinegar I think. That’s another thing missing, malt vinegar for my fish and chips. But now the frozen pre battered and bread crumbed cod has gone. Oh if only I could follow the yellow brick road. They might have some curry in a jar at the end. a bit of tikka would be great. Wasn’t really thinking of the old days just on how fast things change in Taiwan, well Tainan anyway. As I really don’t get out much could you answer that question about dirty rogers and whether the hangout is still going?
As my brother is coming over for the new year and I don’t know what pubs are now open I would honestly like to know where to go. Last time I went out it was to chivken hill behinfd the police station. Is that still there?

Whoops that’s Chicken Hill behind the police station up the steps

[quote=“bigal”]As I really don’t get out much could you answer that question about dirty rogers and whether the hangout is still going?
As my brother is coming over for the new year and I don’t know what pubs are now open I would honestly like to know where to go. Last time I went out it was to chivken hill behinfd the police station. Is that still there?[/quote]

Dirty Roger’s is still going, as is the Hangout (under new management). Not sure about Chicken Hill Academy though - was a favourite of mine when I lived in Tainan, but I left in 2004 and haven’t been back (to the Academy) since then.

Dirty Roger’s is still alive and well. We just had the Tainan Happy Hour there last weekend. Too bad you didn’t come.

I pass by Chicken Hill on my scooter from time to time. I don’t go in but the light’s always on at night, so I assume it’s still open.

Last I heard the Hangout closed a couple of weeks ago. It will probably be back again under new management.