Anybody using DAWs at home (i.e. Logic Pro)? Lemme pick your brain

Well, the subject heading should suffice, but here’s a little backstory. Lifelong musician, I came up in the analog age and have been in and out of studios for 30 years now. I’ve done everything from carpentry to soundproofing to voice overs and most things in between, from engineering to live sound and recording my own and other bands, c.g. straight-up production shit.

In the early 00s, my home rig was a fairly pedestrian digital 8-track (which I still own and use and love not so much). In 2007, I took a step and converted my apartment into a Pro Tools set-up (Digi 002 control surface, PTv.7-8). Later on, I picked up the M-box Micro, which allowed me to mobilize the whole operation - I came to Taiwan in '08. Last year, I sold off the 002 and most of the related gear, except the Micro.

At some point, working exclusively on the laptop (for mixing) stopped being functional for me. I need physical faders - which is why I haven’t abandoned the 8-track; it’s basically a double, non-degradable, Tascam cassette 4-track, which is what I started out using all those years ago. I like and have a mid-intermediate knowledge of PT, and that seems like the most obvious route. But I’m hedging.

Flame away, but for music production, I prefer Mac to Windows. Again, that’s just how I came up. My initial introduction to digital audio in 1990, the cat was using a Macintosh. I’ve worked in studios using Windows, and I’ve been lost half the time. (Explain to me again: Why are these files being saved in five different locations?) The point is, I’ve got an iMac that’s going to function as the heart of the operation.

With that in mind, I’d love to hear from people who are doing audio at home. What are you using? Describe your set-up, if you don’t mind. Give me recommendations. Would you recommend your chosen platform? Links to “The 15 Best DAWs in 2016” are not necessary. I’ve read a lot of the specs already.

I’m currently at the pre-mixing stage of a project - dumping the WAV files from the 8-track on to the iMac and flash drives. Some on-the-fly punch-in and outs may be necessary along the way. My budget is probably US$1000, all-in. That includes a modest set of powered speakers. Otherwise, mics and extraneous cables are not needed. Basically, I need the software, a control surface with I/O, and the speakers. The budget isn’t set in stone, but there is a definite ceiling.

The actual material I’m working on doesn’t need that much fixin’ and arrangin’. Shit needs to be cleaned up, smoothed out here and there, add some beef, skim the fat, ETC. Ninety percent of the tracks were recorded with the specific intention that they NOT need a lot of TLC later on down the line. Also, contextually, this is experimental pop-progressive art rock, but I’m definitely not looking to do a lot of loops and samples (so Abelton and Reason are not on my dance card - but still, would love to hear about your experience). Actually, the looping I wanted to do was already achieved on the 8-track, and…sampling? No need, really. Limiting and compression are super_important. I’ve had a man-crush on Joe Meek since I was 18.

I’m thisclose to buying Logic Pro X and going from there, mainly because of its out-of-the-box compatibility. For whatever reason, I’ve always been lucky with my Apple products. Even when there’s been problems, those cats have fixed 'em for me, STAT.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I use Adobe Audition for my podcast, but that’s for voice with background music and some ambient sound (though I do put a lot more work into syncing music with the voice, and other effects, than most). I highly recommend it.

One thing I also highly recommend is you use a pen mouse: much easier to work with sound files, especially if you work a lot in the spectral display.

It’s been a number of years but I used to use ProLogic, Ableton and Reason for allot of the work I was doing at that time. Back in the days of Mac Classic’s I used Encore and Finale hooked up to a Roland keyboard for arranging and composing.

I had great luck with ProLogic at that time but can’t really compare it with any available with Windows as I’ve never used the platform.

Of course your sound output needs to be accurate, for that purpose I used a pair Beyerdynamic headphones connected to a small amp. But when I lived in Canada I had an inexpensive pair or Yorkville shield monitors. M-Audio’s Studiophile series might be a good substitute and they are available in Taiwan for likely a small premium of what they are in the US.

These days the only audio work I have done was using Garageband on an iPad hooked up to a mic to record my daughter for her podcast. Simple and effective set-up.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]I use Adobe Audition for my podcast, but that’s for voice with background music and some ambient sound (though I do put a lot more work into syncing music with the voice, and other effects, than most). I highly recommend it.

One thing I also highly recommend is you use a pen mouse: much easier to work with sound files, especially if you work a lot in the spectral display.[/quote]

Thanks, MM. Much respect. I’ve heard the Maasai Pt.1 podcast, and what you’re talking about in:re syncing. You’ve devised an interesting way of constructing a story. It’s unique to me, and very good work.

I’ve put an eyeball or two on the Creative Cloud packages. Do I really want to go down Photoshop Road? Better yet, will my application of the software be worth $50 a month - for the rest of time? Audition is only $20, but…I’d rather be able to buy and keep something for a while. I’m educating myself on Audition’s specs and somewhat excited about some of the noise filter/reduction tools (with tutorials +++). About 10 percent of my tracks have minor click and noise issues that Audition would quash in a couple of toggles. But I’m not seeing certain third-party plug-ins I consider essential.[FWIW, Audition is considered one of the top 20 +/- DAWs currently available, and positive reviews prevail.]

A dude on gearslutz.com recently mentioned the pen mouse. Investigation will ensue. Thanks again.

[quote=“kelake”]It’s been a number of years but I used to use ProLogic, Ableton and Reason for allot of the work I was doing at that time. Back in the days of Mac Classic’s I used Encore and Finale hooked up to a Roland keyboard for arranging and composing.

I had great luck with ProLogic at that time but can’t really compare it with any available with Windows as I’ve never used the platform.

Of course your sound output needs to be accurate, for that purpose I used a pair Beyerdynamic headphones connected to a small amp. But when I lived in Canada I had an inexpensive pair or Yorkville shield monitors. M-Audio’s Studiophile series might be a good substitute and they are available in Taiwan for likely a small premium of what they are in the US.

These days the only audio work I have done was using Garageband on an iPad hooked up to a mic to record my daughter for her podcast. Simple and effective set-up.[/quote]

Isn’t it amazing what you can do with today’s devices? My four-year-old is doing batshit stuff on his iPad. Writing “songs”, making videos, etc.

I have three different sets of headphones, my main being the AKG K240. The Sennheiser 280s are real sweaty on my head, for some reason. And the Sony MDR7506 motherfucker’s earpads rotted out (thanks, Taiwan humidity). So I’ll most likely get one more for reference. The AKG K702, or nothing.

ATB (Tony’s) on Fuxing has a pair of those M-Audio Studiophiles that I made the kid pull down from the ceiling shelf and price-check. I forget what he said but I know I said, “Forget it.” Based on other visits to Galaxy and KHS, betcha I go back with a different attitude next time. Might be the only option. The monitors I want are out of my price range (Genelec M040 - $895/pair on Amazon; the kid said something like NT$70k at ATB.) I’ve owned and loved a range on Yamaha monitors; my favorite were/was the entry-level HS80s.

I’m also going to insist on a power conditioner, if I can find one. Shits weird over here. Big building. All kinds of hijinks. And that was problem with recording electric guitars, big time.

Sounds more and more like Pro Logic X is where I’ll go. Now I need to find a control surface. Thanks for your feedback.