Anybody willing to part with an XP installer CD?

Since many (so i’ve heard :wink:) have moved on to newer versions of the Windows OS i am wondering whether some no longer needed installer CD for XP might now be available somewhere - i’d like to replace Windows 7 Starter (with its crippled networking) on my Acer netbook. :notworthy:

I think I got an old copy of Windows XP SP2 (I think that’s what it was called), which I used a bunch of times to reinstall my operating system. I still need it but maybe if you have a notebook with a CD burner you can come and burn a copy of it.

The original Windows XP was immediately pirated worldwide because of a leaked OEM key. All of them have the exact same “secret number” that you type in during installation. That’s true whether it’s Chinese Windows, English Windows, Spanish Windows, etc. It’s easy to get a copy of that (PM for further info).

Secret number: FCKGW-RHQQ2-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8

Try googling that number. I just did and got 428,000 hits.

However, you can’t install any service packs on this version. So either to you manually work through closing all it’s security flaws (there are fixes available - you got to know a bit about Windows to do it) or you just accept that it will quickly get infected with viruses. Functionally, it’s just the same as any version of XP.

cheers,
DB

That’s funny…

I don’t know how these infections work, but assuming i went online with that OS only by running Safari or Firefox to download Linux software, should i not be safe from infections?

But given its age, i imagine that a regular version of XP that is no longer needed might show up somewhere.

Thanks for your kind offer - it may not be nesessary to go that route, though. :slight_smile:

That’s funny…

I don’t know how these infections work, but assuming I went online with that OS only by running Safari or Firefox to download Linux software, should i not be safe from infections?

But given its age, i imagine that a regular version of XP that is no longer needed might show up somewhere.
[/quote]

I guess I need to be a bit clearer. This IS a regular version of XP. It has not been hacked in any way. The “secret number” which I mentioned is what is called a “volume license key” which allows you to bypass Windows “product activation.” Here is an explanation on how that works:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_license_key

This is the part of the above wiki that explains why you can’t install service packs:

[quote]A volume license key that was commonly used to bypass product activation in early versions of Microsoft’s Windows XP operating system started with FCKGW.

This key was part of the first warez release of the final version of Windows XP by a group called devils0wn, 35 days before the official retail release on August 28, 2001.

The key is now obsolete, as it has been blacklisted by Microsoft since August 2004, and affected computers will display a WGA notification. It was made famous partly because it featured in a popular image circulated on the Internet before the retail launch of Windows XP. In the image, the key is written on a CD-R containing the leaked operating system and held in front of a digital Microsoft sign counting down the days until the release of Windows XP.

Similarly, the key starting with YFKBB is a DVD key that was commonly used to activate Windows Vista over illegitimate Key Management Service servers or the GWH28 key for Office 2003. These keys have been obsolete since Q1 2008.

The key starting with V2C47 had been circulating as a “student” Windows XP product key that passed WGA for two years until it became blacklisted by the WGA notification applet.

Users using these keys will receive an error message when they install the latest service pack, and such users are told to obtain a legitimate license and change their product key.
[/quote]

However, the operating system will continue to run normally. You just can’t update it. But Windows XP had several notable built-in security flaws and you have to do a few hacks to close those. The service packs were meant to close those security holes (plus add drivers for newly released products), but you have to install ALL the SPs to do any good. Just installing SP2 by itself wouldn’t be enough to make the system secure. As for the drivers, that’s not such a huge problem if the product (like your Royal USB modem) comes with it’s own driver (or you can download the driver from the manufacturer’s web site).

You want to know how to make your Windows installation secure. Let me start by saying “I don’t do Windows” - or at least, I haven’t since circa 1998 when I went over to Linux full-time. Of course, I’ve got no choice but to use Windows at Internet cafes, and every so often my wife’s relatives force me to fix their Windows machines which are perpetually infected with viruses and thus crash, run slower than molasses, or sit there all day pumping out spam messages. Having said all that, I’ll give you some tips, but you will have to do a bit of research online to get more of the details.

Anyone using Windows should look at the following, even if you’ve got a fully legal, registered version with service packs installed. I’m interested to hear comments/criticisms about my suggestions for tightening security…

1. Use Firefox or Google Chrome, and NOT Internet Explorer. At the moment, Chrome is the most secure (it comes with a built-in system of “sandboxing” - Firefox will get this later). You can’t actually uninstall Internet Explorer (Microsoft deliberately co-mingled the IE code with the OS) but you can kill the IE launch icon and get it out of the menus, so you don’t accidentally start it. I assume as a Windows user, you know how to do all that. Also kill Microsoft Outlook (some call it Microsoft Outbreak, because it attracts so many viruses).

2. Install a firewall. If you’ve got a hardware firewall (note: a router has a built-in firewall), it’s better than a software firewall like ZoneAlarm. If you’re using this computer with a wireless router or 3G USB modem, you need a software firewall.

3. Do not enable (or disable if already enabled) “file sharing,” a “feature” which is an open invitation to hackers.

4. Now here’s the big one, where most every Windows user f*cks up. Do not, repeat DO NOT, surf the Internet as the “Administrator.” Almost every Windows user does that, with disastrous results. Create a new user account (call it “yuli” if you like), and be sure to have a password (using your pinyinized Chinese name is probably good since you won’t forget it). Give the Administrator a password (you can use the same one as yuli, but don’t leave the password field blank). Also, to it’s great discredit, Windows by default gives new users Administrator privileges - there is something in the menus you have to click to make the user “restricted” - do that. Only surf the Internet as a restricted user. The reason: the Administrator (and all “privileged” users) can install and delete programs, which means they can also install viruses. A restricted user cannot. Remember that a virus doesn’t ask permission to install, it just goes ahead and does it, using some of Windows “features” like “auto-run”, “auto-install” and such. But if you’re a restricted user, you have no permission to install anything, and that will defeat the majority of viruses (but not all).

5. Do some googling to learn how to kill “auto-run.” I don’t remember how to do it, and don’t want to bother looking it up now.

6. If you install Microsoft Office, kill the ability to run “auto-macros.” Thousands of viruses take advantage of that “convenience feature.”

7. A lot of viruses these days exploit Adobe Flash, which is used to watch online videos. At the very least, immediately update to the latest version of flash (see adobe.com). If you could live without it, turn off Javascript (that will kill Flash and ALL pop-ups, but also a number of web sites won’t work properly so it’s a bit frustrating).

There are no doubt a few more fixes. Google a bit and see if you come up with any.

best regards,
DB

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”]I guess I need to be a bit clearer. This IS a regular version of XP. It has not been hacked in any way. The “secret number” which I mentioned is what is called a “volume license key” which allows you to bypass Windows “product activation.” Here is an explanation on how that works:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_license_key

This is the part of the above wiki that explains why you can’t install service packs:

There are no doubt a few more fixes. Google a bit and see if you come up with any.

best regards,
DB[/quote]
That was pretty clear and wonderful.

Just in case anyone is wondering, it is of course illegal to do this, and therefore it’s against forumosa’s rules to discuss it here. However, I purchased a legal copy of Win XP a few years ago (from 3C) but while my machine was in for repair they lost the certificate that was stuck to it. That was my only copy of the key, so although I had a receipt for purchase of XP there was no quick easy way for me to reinstall when I needed to. (Now we’re legal again, mods.)

Someone gave me a key, but I wasn’t able to get the service packs. Then someone who had a similar problem developed some software to help him get around it. It ‘blinds’ the microsoft update system somehow, enabling you to download the service packs you’ve paid for but couldn’t get due to administrative issues. Microsoft Update Blinder, and it looks a bit like this: :sunglasses:

He figured that other people may have similar issues, and made it available as a free download. Lucky for me, eh??

Just to be clear, I don’t advocate that anybody install pirated software on their computer. I practice what I preach - all my software is 100% legal. And Microsoft-free! My position can be summed up thus:

[color=#FF0000]
Help fight software piracy…Use Linux!
[/color]

Actually I don’t think this thread is promoting piracy. If anything it’s a warning that getting one of those copies of Windows will infect your computer pretty quickly.

However, if anyone’s in disagreement, I’m all ears.

That said, I’m going to lock it now before it goes where I fear it will go.