😷 COVID - Anyone can explain what is happening?

Some context: I’m a student from Europe who got accepted into a taiwanese university, some days ago we were promised to receive information on how to prepare for the trip and finances to Taiwan, since the semester begins in a month.
But instead they send us to wait:

“The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced on June 11 strict border control measures will continue to be implemented during Taiwan nationwide Level 3 epidemic alert. In accordance with these measures, entry to Taiwan has been suspended for foreign nationals not holding a valid R.O.C. (Taiwan) Resident Certificate. In line with this anti-pandemic policy, R.O.C. (Taiwan) overseas missions are halting the processing of visa applications during the nationwide Level 3 epidemic alert. Please wait for further notice.”

**However, there should be no waiting or question since https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-220-5081-c06dc-2.html says that all international students are allowed to enter taiwan **

So what is happening? why do i have to wait?

1 Like

I think this has been discussed on here, but I can’t find it: if memory serves (a big if!), there was something going on about international students being allowed in for a window that closed around … now? … because the first semester is almost finished, so there’d be no reason to show up at this point. And that window is (imminently?) closing because many Taiwanese will return for Chinese New Year, and the government wants to maximize availability of quarantine hotels. But the assumption was that the window would open again after the CNY rush. Lord knows how Omicron is going to affect that.

I’m a little confused about your timeline here. The current semester ends in about a month; classes resume for the second semester in late February, depending on the school. I think Taiwan is currently at Level 2, not Level 3, but for day-to-day life those levels don’t mean much. The message you quote here sounds like something that would have been sent in July or August, as does your comment “the semester begins in a month.”

1 Like

Yes, the govt asked students to arrive before dec 14. No more people are allowed in until after cny.

3 Likes

This might be relevant:

1 Like

Thats not good, the problem is that i received my admission letter and the university program starts in february, so i don’t see how this is going to work if they only accept from march

1 Like