Anyone else going to the March 26 protest?

Anyone else going to participate in the historic million man March to protest the Chinese Communist Party’s Anti-secession law?

Should we get a foreigners group together? Maybe make some banners? I wouldn’t call it a Forumosa group as Forumosa as an organization should be unbiased. Although, I think that this is one issue that both the Blues and Greens should be able to agree on. Too bad however that Lien, Ma and Soong don’t support this.

So what do you think? anyone have details yet? What time does it start and from where? Is this only based in Taipei or is it Islandwide?

from what I’ve heard, Taiwanese Protests and Foreigners are not a good combination…perhaps I’ve been misinformed.

I heard on the news a group started a “24hr hunger strike” last night. Where I come from, real men do at least 30 day hunger strikes, and kids do 40 hour famines for fun to raise money.

My family will go if there’s an event here or in P1ngtung/Kaohsiung. The hands across the island event was excellent. We should be encouraged that continued protests in HK achieved the goal of forcing Tung Chee-hwa to step down.

I though foriegners risk deportation for participating or volunteering in political activities on ROC.

Hey Hobart:

I’ll be there. I think it would be great to get a group of foreigners together to march in Taipei.

I am 120% confident that no one will be deported for marching in this demonstration. Foreigners were very welcome at Hands Across Taiwan, and this march is being held by the government.

In practice, you will only get in trouble these days if you stand on stage at an election rally to endorse a candidate.

Let’s start organizing! Where should we meet in Taipei?

[quote=“truant”]from what I’ve heard, Taiwanese Protests and Foreigners are not a good combination…perhaps I’ve been misinformed.

I heard on the news a group started a “24hr hunger strike” last night. Where I come from, real men do at least 30 day hunger strikes, and kids do 40 hour famines for fun to raise money.[/quote]

It’s all about 做秀. What else is new.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]I though foriegners risk deportation for participating or volunteering in political activities on ROC.[/quote] That is BS used to try to scare the foreigners! Go back to China where you belong! We know you would hate it if the international community supported Taiwan.

I have participated in both the Taiwan Name rally (Taiwan zhen ming) and the 228 Hands across Taiwan and both the police and the people in the crowds cheered me on. Just don’t give your name to freaks like AC that might approach you and want to inform their leaders in Beijing about you.

After participating, I think it would have been more interesting and special had a big groups of Westerners marched together. Anyway, those other rallies were political. This one should be a multi-party peace march! I have friends that are Blues and they told me they will go to this one!

We were a few foreigners participiating in the 2-28 hands across Taiwan here in Yngmei.

No, the police did not try to deport us, they were busy watching traffic.

No, foreigners were not targeted for anything more sinister than hand-holding.

No Ac_dropout was most likely in New York and did not see anything.

Thank you for illustrating the Taidu paranoid fanatic behavior and attitude that got ROC in this mess in first place.

The ROC is in this mess because the KMT policy of talking about One China! You know this and are just trying to divert blame.

Great article here talking about this if you guys don’t believe me, but it is pretty much common knowledge here to everyone even the Blues, they just try to cover it up.

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/issuesideas/story.html?id=e8033911-c336-4be2-aede-426c5c8563ca

Regarding my reaction to you, other than people that joined yesterday, the rest of know that you are so pro-Beijing that you are not even Blue, but RED.

Hobart:

For purposes of this thread, let’s just ignore AC. Generally a good idea anyway.

Having a group of foreigners march together is a great idea. I’ll contact the organizers and sign up for a place. What should we cal ourselves?

Foreigners for a Free Taiwan?
International Residents for a Free Taiwan?

The KMT was in charge for 50 years and no law of this nature ever existed on the PRC.

You can thank CSB and the pan-Green for their Taidu antics for getting ROC in this mess.

Feel free the get as many foriegners to march on this issue. That will really help promote that Taidu is a grassroot movenment in Taiwan with foriegn intervention. The image of the Taidu movement with a non-Taiwanese face. How politically effective.

As usual, the button is your friend :wink:

[quote=“Feiren”]Having a group of foreigners march together is a great idea. I’ll contact the organizers and sign up for a place. What should we cal ourselves?

Foreigners for a Free Taiwan?
International Residents for a Free Taiwan?[/quote]

Feiren: That would be really great if you contact the organizers and sign up for a place. I think we will need at least 20 people to not look stupid. I think I can bring at least 4 others. What about you guys? 20 no problem? What about 100? Should we place an ad in the Taipei Times and other places?

By the way, both of those names look good.

is there free food at this march? :stuck_out_tongue:

I think 20 shouldn’t be too hard. I suspect a banner on this site might be even more effective.

Damn, the 26th is a Saturday. I won’t be free until 4:30… Otherwise I’d definitely be there.

Yeah hell, why not. Where is this thing going down?

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is illegal for foreigners to take part in political activities here, yes?

I’ve had friends hauled in for questioning and threatened with deportation by the Foreign Affairs Police (under National Police Administration) for taking part in the protests against nuclear waste dumping in Dawu, Taidong.
(I missed it because I was working- lucky me)

Of course, that was a policy initiative backed by Chen Shui-bian and Co.
(Hey, dump the garbage in Taidong- they’re small, far away and they’re a bunch of Abos who don’t vote for us anyway.)

So, if you protest something that threatens your (Taiwan-born, Taiwan-descent, ROC-citizen) children’s future, but is supported by the national government/construction companies/ local politicos/gangsters, that’s a definite no-no, but if you’re gonna generate good PR for something the current administration is pushing, you are allowed to break the law.

Thanks, I think I’ll pass.

(Hasten to add, I totally agree with the protest, and good wishes to all who take part- there’s just a bit too much hypocrisy for me to swallow.)

It would be totally ironic if a group of protester got deported to HK after the rally. :wink: