Anyone else here who’s never done a stint as an English teacher in Taiwan?

Please point out if you are native born, or you travelled here from somewhere else. Thanks.
This thread dedicated to @tando and @QuaSaShao

1 Like

Me. Thinking back on it that’s only because I was sent here. If I’d come on my own I’d probably have a stint or two as an English teacher under my belt before I was able to get fully on my feet.

2 Likes

I don’t know why you called me here.

2 Likes

it was a dedication :heart:

2 Likes

As unbelievable as it sounds, there are people here on Forumosa that are not even qualified to be an English teacher :grandpa:

Wrong passport for example in my case (not to mention lacking English or teaching skills).

5 Likes

legally, perhaps. anyways, does this include you or have you done some English teaching at some point?

Doesn’t stop me teaching!

6 Likes

download (6)

3 Likes

Never done it and never want to!

1 Like

I’m watching this thread out of sheer jealousy.

2 Likes

Other than a few, extraneous commas your English is better than many of the English teachers who post here on Flobbermosa.

1 Like

Same, from somewhere else.

1 Like

Awww thank, you!

2 Likes

:raised_hand: though I kinda wish I had. You know, when I was a young lad, just for the experience :laughing:

Same here.

I’ve taught English a bit through the years. Mostly part-time in the first few years. Just something I did to make an (extra ) income when I needed it. I did a stint at the coal face again about eight years ago. If I lived in a coal mining area and they had vacancies I might have done that too. To me they are about the same level of hard work :grin:.

P.S. I really disliked some of my adult students. You need the patience of a saint and the enthusiasm of a meth addict who has just scored . The younger kids could be great fun until they hit sixth grade and then it was all surly and tired faces.

I also worked for an English textbook publisher and that was just so much better.

2 Likes

Okay, this I did too. And dream. Weird, for a long time already dreaming in English…

Edit: Sorry for the Spelling-Nazism :smiley: I saw you already fixed the tiny but cute typo.

2 Likes

Have had an online software dev job for my 6 year stay in Taiwan (and did visa runs for the first 3.5 years here before getting married), but I strongly considered doing the English-teacher-in-China route when I first came over to Asia (didn’t think the visa runs would fly as well in China).

I sometimes think that it could have been good experience, though, to go with my software development experience (I think I’d like teaching software development and in general have issues with public speaking that I’d like to get over).

1 Like

Never ever ever.

Never. Wouldn’t even be qualified to teach in my native language.