Anyone for Go?

Hi there

Is there anyone here who plays Go (Weiqi or Wei tchi in chinese) ?

Madani

I am currently (for the last few months) attempting to learn how to play this game from my wife.

I had no idea how physical this game is. Are short jabs, back fists and snap kicks to the shins really used for bad moves?

She assures me it is how GO is “traditionally” played.

I bring my kiddy (9X9 and 13X13) Go board to Game Club every Sunday. I usually just play 9X9, but I would mind playing on a full sized board. If your in Taipei you could come meet me one Sunday or if you wanted to setup some other time I’d be up for playing.

Hi

I have here a 19*19 board, and maybe I could ask someone to loan me the stones.
Sunday is not convenient for me. What about one evening, one of these days (starting from tomorrow) ?
What’s your level ? Have you started Go a long time ago ?

Cheers
Madani

[quote=“Mad”]Hi

I have here a 19*19 board, and maybe I could ask someone to loan me the stones.
Sunday is not convenient for me. What about one evening, one of these days (starting from tomorrow) ?
What’s your level ? Have you started Go a long time ago ?

Cheers
Madani[/quote]
Pretty much anytime during the week is OK. I don’t work in the afternoon or evening so I have lots o’ free time. I imagine my level must be pretty low. I’ve only been playing a few months and don’t know much strategy past real basic stuff. When I play with that igowon game I usually hang out aroung 8-10 kyu, but I’ve had it down to 4 or 5 kyu.

I’m in YongHe, but I’d go anywhere near an MRT station for a meeting. I’m really interested in getting better, I just haven’t found a group to play with yet (haven’t looked really hard either). I don’t like playing online because I usually (not always :slight_smile:) get mopped up and don’t feel like I learned much from the beating.

Fine then. I feel exactly the same as you about online play. I’m a bit weaker than you, around 15k, but eager to learn also.
What about we meet tomorrow for example, say at 7PM, anywhere you like, but not far (I work at Tai Da). Do you have enough stones for a 19x19 board ? If not I’ll have to ask a colleague of mine.

Madani

Fine then. I feel exactly the same as you about online play. I’m a bit weaker than you, around 15k, but eager to learn also.
What about we meet tomorrow for example, say at 7PM, anywhere you like, but not far from my office because I don;t want to take the board with me all the way to my place in Nankang (I work at Tai Da, so anywhere around Gong guan or Chi Ta is ok). Do you have enough stones for a 19x19 board ? If not I’ll have to ask a colleague of mine.

Madani

Sorry for the double post…

Not enough stones. I don’t know that area very well, I could meet you at the GongGuan MRT station, GuTing or somewhere around Taida. I’ll PM you my email address and phone number so we can continue our correspondence that way.

The kyu level is just the programs kyu level, I don’t think it reflects accurately in the real world.

Anyone else keen on this? I reckon we might be able to set up a weekly (bi-weekly?) Go night if we can get at least one more person (to make it four) - preferably someone who sucks as horribly at it as me :laughing: