Anyone (foreigners) do a DNA Ancestry search?

Which US or European companies have you used? Are there any domestic companies tied into the system for decent results?
Any issues about sending samples overseas?

Didnā€™t one company give DNA information to the FBI or something.

Yes.

I wouldnā€™t trust those companies if I were you. They end up owning your DNA information and can sell it.

1 Like

Yes. Not very good for your future crime spree prospects.

1 Like

This is not helping me find a company that is cheap, and good but it is an interesting topic. Since Iā€™ve been in Taiwan, more than twenty years, Iā€™ve been pricked, X-rayed, mriā€™ed , peed into a cup, pooped into a vial, FBIā€™d and what ever the Taiwan equivelent for a background check isā€¦
What DNA information do I have that could cause me monetary loss or loss of my freedom. Yes, I know, they are using my DNA for drug research and other science advances. But, if DNA could deny me insurance coverage or something practical, they will demand that from everyone.
I would like a nice fee for research companies to use my DNA, but I donā€™t think I can get any benefit of loss by not trusting these companies. I will not go on a murderous crime spree and if any relative did so, I think they would deserve to get caught.

I have seen a couple of panphlets about DNA companies in my doctorĀ“s waiting room, but interestingly, they focus on hereditary diseasesā€¦ and intelligence. Can grab one and post pic if interested.

Close to work there is this big one, corner of Zhongshiao and Linsen, that advertises its services, again, mostly as a health issue. Dunno the price though.

1 Like

No idea regarding the question.
But the accuracy was astonishingly good for my broā€™s sample, pinpointing my familyā€™s ancestral location through mothers side within a few Kms!

1 Like

At last report, none of the functioning commercial service providers passed muster on precise results, that is, repeated tests for the same person were producing different results, especially for New Worlders whose ancestry was likely to beā€¦varied.

Apparently, Irishers are a significant exception, having been essentially isolated since the last Vikings visited.

23andme was found selling customers data to pharmaceutical companies, so while it would be interesting to have an idea of my ancestry, I decided to give this kind of ā€œserviceā€ a pass.

Whatā€™s the big deal. Theyā€™re using the data to create better product. Itā€™s of no actual value or loss to you. Iā€™d like a substantial discount for the service

I was watching a program on them. There was a set of identical twins who both put in their DNA to be checked. Since theyā€™re identical, their profile should have come back the same but none of the companies gave them the same profile.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not paying for a service that I am not even certain that the result I am getting is really my sample. These companies could just bullshit you by giving a ā€˜standardā€™ or make-up result without even running them properly.

See quote below:

If itā€™s free, then go for it. But donā€™t take every word for it. Some test results are BS and inaccurate.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isa5c1p6aC0

CBC did a bit where they tested identical twins to see if the results would vary from major DNA Ancestry services.

The results will shock you.

Like they did here?

I skimmed through the video quickly but yeah. Same sort of premise. Testing the claims of companies and trying to control for variables in the experiment.

It seems like Ancestry DNA is fairly consistent, and its database for geographical correspondence is fairly accurate.

I think itā€™s fairly easy to trace ancestry at least for a large number of people.

The problems are much bigger when they are predicting your future health status from limited information.

1 Like

The thing with that CBC piece is that they almost present it as if by using estimations the whole thing isnā€™t scientific, when in fact estimations is the foundation of all experimental science.

There is something wrong with the way ads present it as definitive fact, but itā€™s clear that thereā€™s nothing wrong with the underlying science. The DNA measurement is consistent across all companies, itā€™s not as if some companies couldnā€™t tell they are identical twins.

It boils down to each companiesā€™ database and statistical model. That will always be an estimation.

From what I know there are also companies which test DNA to recommend you what to eat and what to avoid, and exercises you should perform or not based on your genetic makeup. I think thatā€™s bs.

Thatā€™s actually much more accurate than telling you which country you are from.

The latter involved predicting how people move over history and what a countryā€™s general DNA makeup is, which requires a good database and a good statistical model.

The former just need to observe clinically which DNA markers are associated with which conditions.