Anyone (foreigners) do a DNA Ancestry search?

You serious really think that your genetic make-up will tell you that you will be healthier if you become vegetarian all of a sudden or if you are currently a vegetarian, tell you to become an exclusively meat eating human? How does that even take account allergens? How does your genetic make-up tell your digestion capability?

And how does a genetic make-up can differentiate between swimming and jogging, as to which one is more effective to you - in terms of calorie burning? Is it because your ancestors are fishermen and therefore you will burn more swimming?

If your DNA report says you might be lactose intolerant, it’d be wise to avoid dairy products if you are going to a place where toilets aren’t readily accessible.

Several genes, HLA-DQB1 (‘DQB102’ and 'DQB106:03P’), FLG (R501X, 2282del4, R2447X, and S3247X) seem to be good indicators for peanut allergies.

More and more gene-allergy association studies are being published now that sequencing DNA has become easier. What’s more up for debate is predicting the severity of said allergies.

Why tempt fate, if you know that certain foods would cause an allergic reaction with high confidence from your genome?

Is that actually a thing? If it is, it doesn’t sound very scientific.

No, clinical relationship to your genetics can be extremely complex . It’s helpful, but it can easily send you down the wrong direction due to a lack of accuracy and comprehensive overview. I say this as somebody with a background in the area. No doubt the situation will improve as millions more people are sequenced and their health records tracked.

The biggest problem is that individual markers usually have a very small association with a given disease.

And there are different papers and weightings that the different test providers refer to.

I agree. It is still very difficult to tell how severely a person would react to an allergen based on their DNA makeup, but there are types of food allergies that can be traced to several markers.

Also, there are several markers that strongly indicates food allergies, such as genes from HLA-DR and HLA-DQ regions, just can’t specify which type food allergy on their own.

1 Like

Yes genetics is very important, for instance HLA genes as you state, also for transplants and for which drugs you can take safely.

will these DNA tests show if I’m a sexpat or not.
the other thread has me worried. :worried:

2 Likes

If it show’s you are white, male and then your location in Taiwan…Sorry you are shit out of luck !

I hear sample contamination can be a serious problem.

You can check out DNAFit. Basically it claims to be able to predict your injury chances on certain exercise. I was going to try this but when I think rationally, it feels more like a bullshit.

I also don’t think it is worth paying for a service that you cannot be confidently know it’s yours, especially these samples can get mixed up or get contaminated along the way. It’s not like a qualified nurse or doctor is taking your samples. Moreover it feels like giving you a much more restricted lifestyle, which is not what I personally want. Sure, you might have allergen(ic genes) for such and such thing - but the severity and reactivity still varies from person to person and sometimes even case by case. The human body is much more complex than one thought. I studied genetics, but when I switched to biochemistry as my line of work and having to deal with bacterial culture, this is when I get to learn and appreciate the complexity of life - and unpredictable is bound to happen.

Another one is the Apo gene test for Alzheimer’s risk.

Alzheimer’s etiology is still not understood, I simply don’t want to know my Apo-E status given that it may make me worried for no reason.

Also they say things like increasing your risk by 40% or decreasing by 40%, but that’s 40% more or less on an already small number. And there could be other even more crucial factors (latest research is saying gum disease is involved ).

So something like 1 in 20 of over 60s have Alzheimer’s and 1 in 4 of over 85s (in Canada anyway)

So worry about getting old first !!

Well, they probably can tell that Yao Ming would suffer lots of ankle related injuries from his DNA, that don’t mean Yao Ming shouldn’t play basketball.

Although, if I am a team owner and I had access to that sort of data, I’d probably decide not to sign long contracts… so yeah, these things should stay confidential.

You’ll forget it anyway :rofl:

2 Likes
1 Like

Wow, good move. I’m guessing they already sold them hundreds of units though and a local company will step in.

I am getting really concerned with this China obssession with DNA. Nothing good can come out of a monolitical racial superiiority complex and the tools to alter such DNA. bd enough they say the West is targeting them with DNA research.

1 Like

I bet they will make freak athletes to win in the Olympics.

Have you ever heard of the Yao Ming conspiracies?

https://youtu.be/HSxpqoTyoKQ

1 Like

They did marry him off to another athlete…

1 Like

Yeah it’s an interesting back story. The scientist is being prosecuted now I believe.

I used Ancestry DNA and the results came in pretty consistent with what I know about my ancestry through family history research. It also identified my father’s cousin (who had also done the test) as a possible second cousin (close enough)!

1 Like