Anyone from or lived in Malaysia (Johor bahru)

Well it’s time for me to move on from the Island with my last month here. I’m really glad I made the choice to come back to the country I was born in and enjoyed by time here for the good and the bad.

I’m wondering if anyone has ever lived in Malaysia, especially Johor Bahru and can give me some information on what to expect there.

I want to lease a car, will they let a foreigner lease a car there? I have a international permit. Any services for foreigners that also help get car insurance.

Dangers? I’ve heard I might need to watch out for my gf as it is a predominately a Muslim country. And it can be dangerous, and she might want to dress modestly.

Anything I should know or watch out for?

1 Like

Don’t leave. :tired_face:

JB city or small town in the region? Culture can vary a bit in different areas.

1 Like

Hopefully i’ll come back one day. I love living in Taiwan. But not much work opportunities here for me right now.

Hello, hi:

JB is a cool city and you’ll have lots of fun there. It’s a bit of a playground for Singaporeans, with lots of adult entertainment and nightlife. However, given that Malaysia is a largely muslim, a lot of that is underground. In public your wife should dress somewhat modestly and you should refrain from PDA.

If you are into sports, JB is a great place for golf and diving.

Enjoy!

1 Like

So your gf decided to study at that university ?

Not a big deal, but in Malaysia public restrooms often are not free. Might want to keep some spare change around when out and about.

1 Like

Yes. We decided to study there.

Good to know.

Really? I heard JB was quite boring in terms of night life.

Overall, the housing is soooo much cheaper than Taipei. I can see why many Singaporeans make the commute from JB.

I’m also glad it has an airport, flights to Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand are cheap. Hopefully I can have time to train in Thailand and take a new Muay Thai fights as well.

Just outside of JB city so we can get a more spacious place.

Go to Singapore in August, Chance the rapper is having a show there, if you’re into his music.

Singapore should have a lot of artists stoping by on tour.

Still looking into the car situation. I want to lease and not buy because I don’t want to deal with selling it after I leave. And I miss how cheap cars are in the US

Buying used cars can be really cheap in Malaysia. And easy to sell even if in bad shape or old.

1 Like

I don’t really want to drop a lump sum of cash or large deposit into a car, especially a used one where I’m responsible for its maintenance and have to sell it later.

And not to sound like a spoiled ass but It’s also frustrating coming from the US where cars are so damn cheap to see that cars are 2-3x in Malaysia (and in most of the world) I’ve always enjoyed driving, grew up kart racing around the country, drag racing, going to car shows and races so driving to me is not point A to point B. Although I might have to make that sacrifice for now. Leasings monthly payment is just more appealing to me allowing me to get a decent car without buying it and having maintainace included. I’m already lucky enough to not worry about finances during my time there without an income finishing my degree. Hard to drop more money on a car because I’m a enthusiast.

It will be interesting getting used to driving on the other side of the cockpit and and other side of the road.

I heard their version of Uber, grab is extremely cheap, i might opt to not getting one if it’s just cheaper to use grab.

The other option is to live in the city center where there’s more public transport and things we need.

[quote=“Andrew0409, post:12, topic:170129, full:true”]
And not to sound like a spoiled ass but It’s also frustrating coming from the US where cars are so damn cheap to see that cars are 2-3x in Malaysia (and in most of the world) I’ve always enjoyed driving, grew up kart racing around the country, drag racing, going to car shows and races so driving to me is not point A to point B. Although I might have to make that sacrifice for now. [/quote]

Get a Proton. They’re made in Malaysia, so not subject to import duties. Also your chances of being able to lease one might be higher, as they’re more likely to have a financing/leasing affiliate on the ground.

1 Like

http://www.perodua.com.my/ourcars/axia

Cheaper car new, older ones NT$50,000

1 Like

I’m 190cm around 95kg…i’m not sure I will fit in that car unless I put the seat all the way back for my legs and poke my head out the sunroof :rofl: I’m def looking for a roomier mid to full size sedan.