Anyone from UK open a bank account here?

Lol. Good luck!

Well I got the copy. Definitely gonna get reported now. I looked really sus. I don’t have income from anywhere but Taiwan so I am fine.

But

Beat them to the punch and report them first.

https://www.fsc.gov.tw/en/

Explain they wouldn’t allow you to fill in the form with the answers you deem correct and didn’t give you a reasonable explanation why.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

Surely they should let me fill in what I want and just report me/close acc etc.

They kept talking about their paperwork needs to be correct or they’ll be fined.

My wife was like do you just not allow foreigners to check no

The answer was they obviously won’t check someone from poor Asian countries.

Similar situation here at Fubon bank. Got pressured into giving them the number, regretted it, and went back. I was just insistent that I was filling in the correct information and that it a form being filled in by me, not the bank. The form is titled self-certification (è‡Ș我something) and small print says that you certify that the information you are providing is correct AND that you have the right to go back and produce an updated declaration at any time.

After filling it in the 2nd time, I got a phone call where I gather that they probably went back and annotated my declaration, listing that I had tax liability abroad, but did not attach my foreign ID number to it, and annotated it with a note saying that I do not have tax liability as I am not a tax resident of that country.

I think its important to do this because this arrangement would otherwise potentially inform your country’s government that you’re earning money in Tw and are expecting to be taxed on it in your country. A conversation worth avoiding

1 Like

You are required to give your tax identification number, but then say if your a tax resident in another country or not. I have to do this with my uk account also as I’m listed as living abroad. The problem is not being allowed to tick the No box if you are not a tax resident in another country.

1 Like

Exactly.

Giving them your NI number is not a declaration that you are a UK tax resident. Tax residency is (usually) only decided on time in a country. There are a few other things that can make you a tax resident in the UK, but ticking a box on some piece of paper in a Taiwan bank isn’t one of them. The best thing you can do is just give them what they require, because if you do what some others have advised above, and give no info, or worse, false info, you risk committing fraud.

The box is to declare if you’re a tax resident of Taiwan or another country or even both, not to make you one. In the OP’s case he wants to declare that he isn’t a tax resident of the UK.

When I last did one of these, you had to give a tax ID number of any country you were a national of.

1 Like

Yes. I just want to avoid any trouble in the future. Even though I have declared my taxes properly, I don’t want to spend time explaining why I checked I am a Uk tax resident when I am not.

I don’t think saying the nameless guy in the bank made me do it is a good answer.

1 Like

Maybe this varies by the bank, but the form I saw specifically had a box saying “I’m not a tax resident of any other country” and that box was annotated saying that you could skip to the final section (the signature) in such case.

However the bank staff were seemingly unable/unwilling to actually read the text, didn’t want me to check that box, even if I insisted on checking it they wanted me to fill in the following section (tax IDs) despite the text saying it could be skipped, etc.

1 Like

I don’t think you “had to” or “are required to” (if you’re solely tax-resident here), although the bank staff may have asked and you might have agreed to fill it in anyway.

Can’t find any forms for Taiwan and don’t think I took pictures of the ones I completed, but the wording is usually like this:

It does seem to vary by the bank - each bank seems to have their own set of forms for this. I don’t definitively remember any of my three banks having that box, but one of them might have done. I think in each case I was bored of being in the bank at that point, so either wrote “N/A”, drew a line through the box, or put in my ARC number and “Taiwan”.

https://livingintw.com/what-is-that-crs-fatca-form-and-why-is-my-bank-telling-me-to-declare-that-i-am-a-tax-resident/

Read this link with your add blocker turned on, just too many adds, i ended up just leaving the site.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s horrible.

2 Likes

happy cake day

Why thank you sir.

Please check again. Most ads have been removed.

Thanks for the feedback