Anyone given birth without NHI?

Did you cover all costs out of pocket (how much?) or did you have international health insurance (suggestions?)?

That’s probably not an option here, if you’re already considering giving birth?

Does your home country insurance cover portion or all of the costs while your outside the country, maybe something to look into? Taiwan insurance has some limited coverage outside of Taiwan, and I checked an old Ireland Insurance, it says: Benefit Abroad For Surgical Procedures Not Available In Ireland
Pre-approval is required. Please ask your insurer for details

Not sure if your home country will cover some of it?

What do you mean? International insurances don’t apply here?

I’m looking into getting one to help with the pregnancy cost, if that is possibly

I presume they do in principle (you’d have to check the policy conditions)…but not if you/she is already pregnant. That’s all I meant.

As in, if the house is already on fire, it’s too late to be thinking about insurance.

1 Like

Ah yeah. I understand

Cost can be NT 0-100k depending on if you have NHI, private room, government subsidy.

No NHI unfortunately. What’s government subsidy? From the video (and other sources) it seems hospitals are the cheapest way to go without insurance

I’m pretty sure to get this, one of the parents has to have a household registration, for at least 5 years, (might be wrong about the number of years).

When my wife and I applied for it we had to go to the household registration office and fill out paperwork there. I can’t remember the amount, but I think we got somewhere between 50k-75k NTD in New Taipei City. I think each city might give a different amount. Plus they give I think 5k NTD (might be wrong about the amount) every month.

The total cost for my wife’s birth was around 110k NTD. NHI paid 40k of that and I had to pay the rest. Luckily though, my wife has private insurance too and we got reimbursed. The private insurance paid us about 150k NTD for having the baby. I’m not entirely sure why they paid more than the total hospital bill, but I’m not going to argue with them about it either.

Edit: Forgot to mention this was done at Far Eastern Hospital

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed information which is very informative.

1. What type of private insurance did you use?
  2. Is your insurance from local insurance company or from US such as Blue Cross, Blue Shield, United Health care?
  3. Most US health insurance starts to pay after a deductible of $1000 or more if Oversea bills are covered. 80% payment after deductible for out of network. Your payment from insurance company was very generous.
  4. Did you need to submit the medical bill by yourself or Far East Hospital submit for you?
    Did Far Eastern’s medical bill cover all before NHI’s reimbursement?
    I have health insurance from US which can be used in Taiwan. I like to learn how to use it.
    Thank you for your information

I’m not sure who it’s through. Some local one probably through a bank though. The mother in law bought it for the wife when she was a baby.

Just local, NHI and the private one through a local bank.

How it works is, on the day of your discharged you will have to go and pay. You will have to pay whatever NHI doesn’t cover that day, so for me that was 70k. The take cash and all local Taiwanese credit cards. After you pay you can ask them for the itemized bill for insurance and they will print it off and stamp it. Then just call your private insurance to see where to mail it and send it off. The insurance will review and it deposit the money into your bank account.

I don’t think hospitals here deal with any other insurance besides NHI. When the wife was in labor the doctor was telling me about some additional medicine that she recommends, but it wasn’t covered by NHI. She said if we have private insurance though we probably would get reimbursed for it. So, I’m assuming you will have to follow a similar procedure to the one above. Pay up front and then submit an itemized bill to your insurance in America for reimbursement. Call and confirm with them first. I have seen some small clinics that work with American insurance, but not NHI.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the information.
I have been researching how to use my US health insurance. The premium is relatively very expensive compared to typical Taiwanese supplemental.
Some hospital do accept without paying in the front like Wan Fan hospital, Ming Shen Hospital, Taiwan Adventist hospital.
It probably good only for a very expensive operation since it will pay 100% after a max pocket fee.
NHI is still the best for daily illness for benefit cost ratio.
US based insurance is only good in the US from B/C ratio since any US hospital stay costs US$ 5000+ per day plus doctor fee and hospital fee which usually from $10000 and up each case even for a minor one.