Anyone going to the march?

Anyone else going to the march tomorrow? Will anyone actually be marching? I would like to join up with one of the groups. Maybe the Forumosa group?

Hobart, I’ll be there with my camera and plenty of film. Get near A-bian and I’ll get your picture (wear a green hat so I know it’s you).

I saw on the Chinese page that the groups walking from CKS includes a lot of foreigner groups (European, American, Japanese, etc.). Meets at 11:00AM. I think that one looks like the one for me.

http://www.511taiwan.net/eng/eng.htm

Hobart, as I said, I’ll be there taking pictures, so if you were a green hat I’ll try and get some of you with all those weirdo foreigners.

Hobart, I didn’t see you yesterday. I hope you got your fill of Taiwan sausages and beer.

[quote=“Hobart”]I saw on the Chinese page that the groups walking from CKS includes a lot of foreigner groups (European, American, Japanese, etc.). Meets at 11:00AM. I think that one looks like the one for me.

http://www.511taiwan.net/eng/eng.htm[/quote]

For those who didn’t attend the march, I’ve taken some photos with my camera phone and uploaded it to: moblog.typepad.com/photos/call_taiwan_taiwan/

Since when is a 30,000 march that significant?

Mind you the opponents managed a scant 3000!

Both are hardly proof of much.

Kenneth

when was the last time there was a bigger march in taipei? that’s what makes it significant…

It was nice a day for a walk.

Who said it was only 30,000? You got to be kidding. The lowest figure I saw was 75,000. Most of the press said it was 100,000.

Actually, I counted about 4 other foriengers, but that was just on my march route at the time I was walking. There were five other march routes. We should all get together next time. I may go down to the Kaohsiung march as well.

I was was walking with a group of Taiwanese that flew to Taiwan from the US just for this.

Guess which rally the mainland media reported on, and which one they ignored ? I don’t think 10,000 people counts as “Tens of thousands”, That’s being generous and adding together both of Sunday’s rallies. Assuming some people went to both, it’s less than 10,000.
At sunday’s someone said “The ROC… was established as the first democratic and free country in Asia through the efforts of Dr Sun Yat-Sen and many others” huh ? Sun Yat-Sen never intended the ROC to be a democracy (ROC=KMT). Japan, for one, has been democratic for longer, surely ?

On the other hand, why would you want the world to know about Taiwan ? a hotbed of piracy, racism, animal abuse and pollution. As ImaniOU once said, why would renaming the street help when it’s covered in poop ?

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Guess which rally the mainland media reported on, and which one they ignored ? I don’t think 10,000 people counts as “Tens of thousands”, That’s being generous and adding together both of Sunday’s rallies. Assuming some people went to both, it’s less than 10,000.
At sunday’s someone said “The ROC… was established as the first democratic and free country in Asia through the efforts of Dr Sun Yat-Sen and many others” huh ? Sun Yat-Sen never intended the ROC to be a democracy (ROC=KMT). Japan, for one, has been democratic for longer, surely ?

On the other hand, why would you want the world to know about Taiwan ? a hotbed of piracy, racism, animal abuse and pollution. As ImaniOU once said, why would renaming the street help when it’s covered in poop ?[/quote]

Who gives a crap what the mainland media reported on?! And why the f**k are you talking about the Sunday pro-Commie China rally in this thread? Finally, your nasty comments about Taiwan are not appreciated here. What the hell crawled up your arse this morning. Hey chop meisters, I think this bloke needs to come with a Grumpy Warning Chop. Got any extra ones?

I saw very few foreigners there. Unlike the anti-nuclear power plant march, which passed by my house a few years ago, where there were a lot of them.

Seems I hit a raw nerve…

[quote=“Hobart”]Who gives a crap what the mainland media reported on?!
[/quote]Just saying how predictable it was.

[quote]And why the f**k are you talking about the Sunday pro-Commie China rally in this thread?[/quote]I was comparing them, And pointing out a lie they told. Or would prefer I compared the mainland way ? Or you think their point of view is not valid because it disagrees with yours. Not sure it was pro-commie, where there any PRC flags there ?

[quote]Finally, your nasty comments about Taiwan are not appreciated here. What the hell crawled up your arse this morning. Hey chop meisters, I think this bloke needs to come with a Grumpy Warning Chop. Got any extra ones?[/quote]No more nasty than other things posted on this board. And they are welcome here, or is this thread only for people who only give your point of view ? It’s called looking at both sides of the arguement, which seems to bother you. As for chops, maybe there’s a reason why I already have this one and you have that title…
I was not saying either side was right or wrong. If anything, I was saying you are right. But you get offended when I only give you 90% support :unamused:

I’d like to see Hobart’s big tiger in a steel cage match with Fluffy’s kitty.

This is not about my point view or your point of view. The point is I didn’t ask for any points of view, especially someone making nasty comments about Taiwan being “a hotbed of piracy, racism, animal abuse and pollution”. If you like you may start another thread about that. This thread was or is about if there was anyone here going to the march and you had to throw in your fckng nasty unsolicited comments, that are most unwelcome. Go dirty another thread.

Ok, so who will get deported after this march. Perhaps the guys in the newspaper photo’s???

I remember the govt. wanted to make it illegal for foreigners to be part of lobby groups. I think the govt. would also see participation in the march as breaking the reason for residence rule, that is you’re a, say, English teacher, and now you’re an activist. Time for deportation. No, I don’t agree with it, it’s a stupid law. I just wonder if they would even bother to hunt down us troublesome foreigners.

[quote=“Bassman”]Ok, so who will get deported after this march. Perhaps the guys in the newspaper photo’s???

I remember the govt. wanted to make it illegal for foreigners to be part of lobby groups. I think the govt. would also see participation in the march as breaking the reason for residence rule, that is you’re a, say, English teacher, and now you’re an activist. Time for deportation. No, I don’t agree with it, it’s a stupid law. I just wonder if they would even bother to hunt down us troublesome foreigners.[/quote]

It would probably depend on which side you’re supporting, and which party happens to be in power at the time. Wouldn’t surprise me though …

Any idea how many foreigners were involved? I didn’t see any, I only saw some taking pictures or just on the sidewalk watching the whole thing.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]
On the other hand, why would you want the world to know about Taiwan ? a hotbed of piracy, racism, animal abuse and pollution. As ImaniOU once said, why would renaming the street help when it’s covered in poop ?..

It’s called looking at both sides of the arguement[/quote]

Mindless insults do not count as a side of an argument.

[quote=“daltongang”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]
On the other hand, why would you want the world to know about Taiwan ? a hotbed of piracy, racism, animal abuse and pollution. As ImaniOU once said, why would renaming the street help when it’s covered in poop ?..

It’s called looking at both sides of the arguement[/quote]

Mindless insults do not count as a side of an argument.[/quote]

I think Big Fluffy Matthew is being misunderstood BIG TIME in this thread. Matthew has a way of making his point through humor and indirectly making his point. I understand what he meant and personally I don’t have any problem with what he said. Somehow Hobart seems to think that an open forum thread is not “open” to anyone with a different opinion with his “I didn’t ask for your opinion” stance.

I would have thought that just by posting in the “Open” forum you would be “Open” to any comments or points of view.

Mindless insults, well I did see a few from the keyboard of Hobart. I understand that this is a topic that is bound to bring out some strong feelings, but @#$#@ is uncalled for. Well, in Hobarts case I understand, that is if he really is Australian.

Matthew’s rename the street comment was a fair one.

Personally I jump from side to side on the topic of Taiwan independance. I can’t make up my mind even though I am married to a Taiwanese. But I do, in part agree with the statement “Why would renaming the street help when it’s covered in poop? …”

Now feel free, if you must, to insult me over this opinion. I am entitled to this opinion, the same as you are to yours, and I am free to post it on Forumosa where I like, just the same as you are free to post your opinion. The last time I checked none of you who are complaining are in any position to say what gets posted where.

Bad form on the part of the posters who resort to abuse when Matthew is posting with a smile.