Anyone had a pinned metacarpal?

So a couple weeks ago I bust my hand, industrial accident, snap my fifth metacarpal, like so:

So I get surgery, they stick a couple pins in, running the length of the bone, stickin out on either side of the first knuckle.
Surgery and post-op were fine, it’s healing up, the only problem has been that in my weekly outpatient visits, the doctor doing the checking is one of these old school cunts who thinks it’s cool to ignore pain (related to this phenom, one supposes…).
This pigfucker, when they were changing the dressings, grabs on to the finger of the busted bone, and just fuckin YANKS it sideways like it’s his fuckin Johnson or something. The pain was so brutal I puked.
Anyways, my question is, what’s the normal procedure for removing the pins, I imagine there’s likely to be a fair bit of pain, do they generally apply a local, or is it just fuckin Nut Up or Shut Up??
Thanks in advance.

I cracked exactly the same bone a dozen years ago playing hockey. Pins, inserted under local anaesthesia, removed under same.

And yeah, Taiwan + pain management = fail (all too often).

TAKE…

the pain.

heal well…

Taffy has it right.
And IMO, fuck the pain. Tell the git to hit it with a local or you’ll report him.
And make damn sure they give you the “Big White Person” pain-reduction juice. They tend to be very miserly (notice I did not use the appropriate word that is dangerously close to the un-pc ‘N’-word) about the rifht amount of pain relief juice here. My dentist knows to bring out 2 full ampules and not the usual 1/2 ampule he gives to the itty-bitty local folk.

Remove pins requires pain-relief juice. And also you should insist on some follow-up meds for later application. Some places will give a lidocaine topical spray for stuff like this. I don’t know if thats available here on the island.

Also…make sure they WAIT UNTIL THE ANETHETIC KICKS IN BEFORE they start jerking things out & around!

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Taffy has it right.
And IMO, fuck the pain. Tell the git to hit it with a local or you’ll report him.
And make damn sure they give you the “Big White Person” pain-reduction juice. They tend to be very miserly (notice I did not use the appropriate word that is dangerously close to the un-pc ‘N’-word) about the rifht amount of pain relief juice here. My dentist knows to bring out 2 full ampules and not the usual 1/2 ampule he gives to the itty-bitty local folk.

Remove pins requires pain-relief juice. And also you should insist on some follow-up meds for later application. Some places will give a lidocaine topical spray for stuff like this. I don’t know if thats available here on the island.

Also…make sure they WAIT UNTIL THE ANETHETIC KICKS IN BEFORE they start jerking things out & around![/quote]

i agree fully with everything that TC says in this post.
:astonished:

Pain shmain.

I wanna hear more about this “industrial accident.” :ponder:

[quote=“zender”]Pain shmain.

I wanna hear more about this “industrial accident.” :ponder:[/quote]

Sorry, counsel won’t allow me to discuss it at this time. :no-no:

Let me talk to him.

:smiling_imp:
Counselor! Come out, come out, wherever you are!

[quote=“zender”]Let me talk to him.

:smiling_imp:
Counselor! Come out, come out, wherever you are!
[/quote]

Planning for world domination puts a lot of strain on your little finger, you DOUBTER!

I had a rolando’s fracture in my first metacarpal some 2 years ago.

Secured with 3 k-wires, I still have them here.

I was afraid of having them pulled out. It was done by a young guy. he held my hand down and pulled. It hurt less than I thought, more like a deep, dumb ache. No need for local, I thought at the time.

Yours are the fifth, though, must hurt more.

… because counsel now has pins in his nose. :laughing: :laughing: