Anyone here lived in Honolulu before?

No. If I lived in Hawaii I’d just charge more for my services.

Interesting! So it’s straight up quality of life that decides it?

Guy

plot twist…Malcolm is Tom Selleck :joy:

1 Like

Yep, at least Kaohsiung. If I had to choose between Hawaii and Taipei then I might choose Hawaii.

Aside from the often oppressive weather (yes this is factor too, no doubt about it), Taipei’s alright. :slightly_smiling_face:

Not as easy to access the water / ocean though. On that side, K Town cannot be beat.

Guy

1 Like

Yeah Taipei seems to be all right if you enjoy hiking, but the city itself is pretty uninteresting. I prefer water over mountain, so I chose K-town.

Gotta make sure someone presses the button every 24 hours or the Smoke Monster will come though.

Not really a big difference and if you have a car you’ll be snorkelling faster from Taipei on the North coast.

I don’t find K-Town to be any more interesting or the beach there that enticing. The air is terrible every time I visit. Taipei at least has more to do, better food, hiking and the beaches are not far.

The air has gotten a lot better since 2020 in KH.

It’s not good the last few weeks. Kaohsiung city doesn’t have any nice beaches itself , the south has a few but so does the North . Kaohsiung city just isn’t that close to the best beaches, it’s about two hours drive whereas you can get to Baishawan faster (without traffic) from anywhere in Taipei IF you have a csr. Kaohsiung obviously is closer to Taitung by train , two hours plus now which is good and there’s more diving options if that’s your thing like out in Kenting, Xiao’ liu qou green island etc.

1 Like

At least we have beaches here, and if you want nice beaches then they are only an hour away in Xiaoliuqiu. I know northern Taiwan has beaches too, but the climate there isn’t tropical so you can’t even go half of the year. There also isn’t much interesting sea life like coral or sea turtles.

I agree that most of Kaohsiung City itself isn’t very interesting, but I think the interesting parts (west of Love River) are actually more interesting than Taipei City.

I saw a tortoise in danshui…

Family owned a place in Maui for 10 years+ but can offer some observations on Hawaii in general.

Second what Malcolm said earlier on.

Strata fees are out of this fucking world. Locals have a tough time with all the outside money. Services are less good than on the Mainland, etc.

2 Likes

I saw a chicken in Xiao Liuqiu.