Anyone here using WiMax?

I read somewhere that Taiwan has awarded companies in Taiwan to roll out WiMax on a certain bandwidth. Wondering if that’s out and if someone’s actually using it?

If so, do you have wireless routers that use the 802.16 (instead of the 802.11) standard? If so, what company is offering for sale those type of devices? I’m looking for something simlar to WiBox.

Can’t seem to be able to find much about the 802.16 devices anywhere.

As far as I know, there are no commercial WiMAX services here as yet, but I could be wrong.
The link you showed seemed to be to some rather antiquated or industrial equipment unlike what you’d get with WiMAX.
Most home solutions consists of WiMAX for the WAN end and WiFi for moving the signal around the home.
Dunno if you can find some more info here wimaxtaipei.tw/
I guess the product you want is something like this wimaxtaipei.tw/products_profile.php?id=157
However, I’d expect this kind of products to be more common for home use wimaxtaipei.tw/products_profile.php?id=74
Remember that the WiMAX built into notebooks isn’t going to work indoors very well, as you need more or less line of sight, at least if you want to get any kind of better speed than you get from current 3.5G connections.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]As far as I know, there are no commercial WiMAX services here as yet, but I could be wrong.
The link you showed seemed to be to some rather antiquated or industrial equipment unlike what you’d get with WiMAX.
Most home solutions consists of WiMAX for the WAN end and WiFi for moving the signal around the home.
Dunno if you can find some more info here wimaxtaipei.tw/
I guess the product you want is something like this wimaxtaipei.tw/products_profile.php?id=157
However, I’d expect this kind of products to be more common for home use wimaxtaipei.tw/products_profile.php?id=74
Remember that the WiMAX built into notebooks isn’t going to work indoors very well, as you need more or less line of sight, at least if you want to get any kind of better speed than you get from current 3.5G connections.[/quote]

Yes, the links that you provided (last two) were the devices that I’m looking for, except that I need a RS232 serial port (DB9). One of my potential customer is using WiMax and I’d like to find something like the WiBox I linked in my previous post where a serial port is needed for comms to our equipment.

Thanks again.

Right, that just wasn’t clear from your post, or I misread it as it was late :wink:
I can’t pinpoint exactly what you want, you might want to call around some of the companies.
Also, make sure you get the right spec of WiMAX, as the technology uses a lot of different frequencies and I don’t know what they will use in Taiwan.
You might want to hit up the WiMAX show (can’t remember what it was called) if they have that this year too, it was the same time as Computex last year.