Anyone knwoledgable with Partition Magic?

My office PC has a 40GB HDD and ran with XP english Ver. I the installed a Chinese version of XP and now when I open Partition Magic my HDD looks like this:
Eng Partition: 7773.6 MB
Chinese: 15006 MB
Unallocated 15382 MB

How can I use this unallocated space for my english partition?

Thanks for any help.

Does WinXP recognize the space as existing and being unformatted? If so, you should just be able to format it and use it from either partition.

Disclaimer: I haven’t used XP, just 2K.

At least in Win2K, you just bring up Windows Explorer (nee File Manager), open the “My Computer” thingie on the left side, and it will show you the drives/partitions that are available. Right-click on the unformatted one and a context menu should show up which includes the option to “Format …”. WARNING: it will do this for ALL of the partitions; don’t reformat one of the ones you’ve already used! Since the partition is going to be only 15MB, you can format either FAT32 or NTFS (at least in 2K), depending on your preference.

I suppose you could also boot up PM and do it from that, but I never had any luck with that program.

No need for patition magic.
Just create a new partition in the settings, than you can use it for your chinese as well as for your english system.
Makes much more sense to use a second partition for the temp folder.

one caveat:

back up your data before you start messing with these partition software.

[quote=“robi666”]No need for patition magic.
Just create a new partition in the settings, than you can use it for your Chinese as well as for your English system.
Makes much more sense to use a second partition for the temp folder.[/quote]
OK, How do I do that? you said “in the settings” what do you mean?
Thanks for your answer.

And yes I did backup all that. :sunglasses:

“In the settings” means this:

Go to Control Panel: Administrative Settings: Computer Management

Then go to Storage: Disk Management

Look at the cute graphic at the bottom of the screen. It should say something like
Disc 0: English (C:) | Chinese (D:) | Unformatted

If so, right click on the unformatted part and select format.

If not, post what you do see here.

BTW, why do you have Chinese AND English XP installed? Use the MUI (multilanguage user interface). Great Stuff, no reboot to switch languages, saves lots of space, install programs only once! And you cvan fix problems without struggling in Chinese.

I’ve heard some horror stories from people using that software, make you back everything up that’s of any importance to you first. I highly recommend just creating another partition for the unallocated space as mentioned above. So you’ll have C:, d: and e: drives, depending of course on how you configured your drive letters.

[quote=“bobdobba”]“In the settings” means this:

Go to Control Panel: Administrative Settings: Computer Management

Then go to Storage: Disk Management

Look at the cute graphic at the bottom of the screen. It should say something like
Disc 0: English (C:) | Chinese (D:) | Unformatted

If so, right click on the unformatted part and select format.
[/quote]
Thank you for the data, that was very helpful.