Anyone learning Taiwanese? (Native speakers welcome, too)

That’s pretty neat. Interesting/sad that it’s a nonnative speaker going to all this effort… always glad to check out the many Taigi resources you have, hansioux.

Sorry if this should be its own thread, thinking maybe you can answer this… why do Taiwanese insist there’s ‘no way’ (their words) to write Taigi? My understanding is that Chinese characters don’t have a ‘set’ pronunciation, that 你 is pronounced differently depending on the language you use (ni3 in Mandarin, li2 in Taigi, nei5/lei5 in Cantonese - excuse me for not having a diacritic keyboard on this computer), so every language can use the same character set. There are of course differences in common characters - e.g. 是 used as ‘to be’ in Mandarin and 係 used in Cantonese, or Cantonese having 冇 to represent mou5 as a sandhi of 唔有. I guess my question is, why isn’t there a modern standardized character set for Taigi or Hokkien in general, along the same lines of Cantonese? (or is there already? Based off some of what I’ve seen, it seems like maybe it exists, but isn’t fully standardized/adapted to the modern era, or is too little-known)