Anyone learning Taiwanese? (Native speakers welcome, too)

Yes, of course. Again, not trying to tell anyone how to speak here, just sharing my thoughts. I know I’m an odd one.

1 Like

Cool…just making sure.

2 Likes

Found a youtube channel teaching Math in Taigi

1 Like

NTU’s online Taigi lectures

NCKU’s Taiwan culture lectures in Taigi

NCKU’s breadth knowledge class in Taigi

3 Likes

outstanding

It’s interesting they call it “Southern Hokkien” lol. Seems like overthinking it a bit

They are publishing a Taigi translation of the Little Prince, with an audio book as well.

2 Likes

What’s “Putonghua”?

I gather that’s ‘Mandarin’ in Mandarin, anglicised? How would you write that in traditional?

I gather that Mandarin, Cantonese and all that are spoken languages yet there’s simplified and traditional writing and they don’t change typically based on the way it’s spoken (ignoring regional writing differences which may be independent) in the same way that you can read chinese but not speak it?

Too complicated to answer? Just write ‘Yes’ and I’ll move on with my life. I tried googling but it got hit with a load of linguistic terms and now my face hurts

Putonghua means regular speech. It is referred to that in China.

Taiwanese often call it Guoyu, or National Language.

Guanhua is the language of the Mandarins, which were officials back in the day. It’s not often used.

And Zhongwen is just language of China.

2 Likes

I’m signature exactly what is asked, but these pages might help.

1 Like

普通話

Simply put, putonghua is just the term used in the PRC for Mandarin in its role as the national language. It’s basically the same as the Mandarin used in Taiwan, with some small differences in pronunciation and grammar. In Taiwan, Mandarin would be called 國語 or 中文.

2 Likes

Thanks, I read all of those, but it got all a bit confusing up in my brain dome :exploding_head:

Sometimes a simple guy just needs a simple answer :cowboy_hat_face:

It means standard Chinese

People in China say 國語 and 中文 all the time too. But yea, in Taiwan the phrase putonghua is not used.

On a semi related note in Guangdong, I noticed people speaking mandarin usually refer to Cantonese as Baihua (rather than guangdonghua)

1 Like

“Putonghua” is pretty standard around the world though. No one says guo yu outside of here, for obvious reasons.

1 Like

In the US it’s mostly guoyu. That’s what Cantonese people call it.

In Singapore/Malaysia it’s huayu.

1 Like

Interesting. Any idea why?

yeah, I’ve definitely heard that.

I think it’s because Taiwanese immigrated en masse before mainlanders.

I know you didn’t ask, but Malay is the national language of both Malaysia and Singapore. So guoyu for Mandarin makes no sense.

A-ióng ê te-it-ki YouTube iánn-phìnn.

Look what my mom sent me in the mail.

5 Likes

That doesn’t really make sense? I’d imagine that guoyu was the official term when they immigrated to the US from southern China? People in China still often use the phrase guoyu. It’s used about as much as zhongwen and putonghua. In my experience.

1 Like

Department of Health of Maryland issued an official Wuhan pneumonia in Taigi.

1 Like