Anyone lived in Malaysia before?

I was thinking more in terms of the cultural aspect, but yeah, there are party schools in beach towns all along the West Coast.

I know I know. I’ve talked to her about it. She isn’t saying we can never live in the US. But she doesn’t want To study there. I’ve been pushing for LA or NY as well. Or back to my area in Texas. I do enjoy the Dallas area a lot.

And her grades are just ok, but her math is pretty awful. I doubt she would do well in SATs lol.

But to be fair, the uni she picked in Malaysia is really nice. It’s a international school branch funded by a British and Singapore school.

She’s younger than you, so she may not see this as an issue, but sometimes, going to the right school helps farther down the road.

You’ve made it another x months and it seems like things are going well and you plan on marrying the girl. At this point, what can really tear you guys apart? If she really cares about you and you care about her, wouldn’t you want what’s best for each other?

I remember you said that you could transfer some credits over to the Malaysian school. What are the chances you could transfer all credits if you want to a US school? As far as I know, 1 credit is hella expensive in the states. Not being able to transfer them is like money down the drain.

Do international students applying to US universities have to take the SATs too? Holy hell I haven’t heard those that acronym in a decade.

What about a university in Hawaii? Close to Asia, not mainland in geography or culture, not too hard to look at.

1 Like

I know some people on here feel a certain way about my financial and her financial situation. But the reality is she comes from wealth. Like true wealth. She can never work a day in her life and have her maids and helpers in Italy take care of everything for the rest of her life. Her degree is just for her family to show she is “educated” she didn’t even want To go to school, I had to convince her, her family also begged me to push her to go. So i finally found a school she likes. Her last trip to “visit” schools in HK was basically a shopping trip. She could have bought a luxury vehicle with how much she spent in a week there.

It wouldn’t be all, and I may need to take a test to see if i remember some stuff. But regardless, transfer is still an2 year min for acceptance.

Yes, she will need to take the SATs. And I think she says some schools won’t accept her because her transcript is inconsistent. A mix of British, Italian and American.

Plus Malaysia is cheap and tuition is cheap. My shares in the company is so low right now and own financial situation is not like before. Especially with stuff going on with my parents. So I really am not sure I want to drop that much on moving to the US with such high living expenses and tuition. Plus I will need to buy a car, insurance for health and car and housing is not cheap in LA and NY.

She will cover my time in Malaysia outside of tuition. So it’s just something I feel less stress about.

Honestly I told her I just want to live in Italy on one of her villas in Tuscany and enjoy food and wine with a beautiful view and fresh air with maids and helpers lol. One day; but for now. I want her to go to college. I know I’m not painting a very positive image of her right now lol. But she’s a wonderful girl, and treats me really well and she loves me like crazy. And most importantly she’s loyal. But she’s just from a very different lifestyle.

All very valid reasons…but you should still schedule a visit to Pepperdine, ya know…just because. :laughing:

Let’s be honest, if any of us were in her shoes, pretty sure we’d choose the lifestyle where our biggest concern is not having a big enough garage to fit all the cars we own.

1 Like

If you come from serious money, you can always get an American school to accept you…even a good school. Yeah, America is corrupt like that. And trustafarians add to the diversity of the student body.

2 Likes

Yes, even an Ivy or Stanford. If your family or hers offers enough money, both of you can come out the other side with a degree from Harvard or Stanford or, well take your pick. In particular, Yale absolutely loves Americans who’ve spent time out of the country and who follow their own path (and who come from ‘true’ wealth).

Anyway, best of luck. I wish the very best for both of youse, no matter what youse do.

It’s a great place to visit for a couple years. Not nearly as dull as Taiwan.

I quite like Malaysia, would not be hardship for anybody who speaks English and Chinese and used to Asia already. I’m not sure if you could say Taiwan is dull compared to Malaysia, really depends what you are into in terms of lifestyle and hobbies
If you like dogs or drinking anywhere for instance.

Russians did this. Should i say thanks for 50 years of communism? To em or to you guys?

We europeans have a lot of stereotypes for americans, and many of europeans can look americans down sometimes. Just take her opinion lightly, i believe land of free is better than what most eu folks tend to believe. Is just proud of europeans for past glorry.

Over centuries gap with our cousins in america increased. Father was doing business in states in 80s, doing well. Once i asked him why you just did not stay there and he was like nah everything there is on stereoids (massive consumption, massive marketing bla bla). Probably my parents were just too proud.

After reading more of your replies, just go to Malaysia.
Let her pay the expenses.
Sounds like you got a great thing going with her and the gravy train that goes along with it. That is a compliment, by the way. Many guys may not admit it, but you are indeed lucky on all fronts with her. It is good that money is not a factor in the relationship.

Maybe no “good” schools in the city limits, but don’t forget about Berkeley or Stanford. If Andrew or his girl could gain admission it would be worth going. And it sounds like her parents can afford to pitch in for the uber-expensive rents in the bay area. It’s easy to live in S.F. and commute to Berkeley on the BART train, and it’s possible to commute to Stanford as well (although in either case I would suggest living close to campus and making the most of such an education).

Idk if @ranlee gf does this. Mine will often say negative things about Americans when we are out and she sees Americans do something that she views as “barbaric” stereotypical things to me. She also criticizes taiwanes barbaric ways. And I’m like you realize I’m American or Taiwanese right? But i always make fun of Italians to her and she thinks it’s hilarious. She hated my sense of humor when we met until she got used to it.

I honestly belived europe has not much competitive edge comparing to usa or asia. I honestly see even many part of mainland being more developed than most of europe in future. Just give one or two generation more max.

And specially Italy is country trapped in old fame, tradion, old glory. World has changed. What is funny, italians are lazy, gdp is kinda low, but yet most of folks live very good life there. Is european paradise. A lot of talk, family launch going on for hours, not much of actually work. It works similar like taiwan, tone of mummy sons, girls living in schedule of rich old families. South is like taiwan south. Mafia rules. And hot weather.

Well my cousin girls are italian by their mum side, educated in italian way, and they believe their father and specially me are barbaric, just for being slavs.

Gool luck in Malaysia. Have fun.

You sound like one of those Chinese guys you meet on the train who ask you to recite all the places you’ve been to and then tell you but you haven’t seen the real China until you’ve gotten drunk in my village!

Did you know that most Malaysian students rather go abroad for college?
Their medical students consider Indonesian medical schools are better colleges than their local med schools.
A high percentage of their medical doctors are educated in Indonesia.

Have you researched if any university here has accord with Virginia U? Can you invalidate most courses, work and study here? Maybe Chengta or NTU or Sun Yat Sen or any other that have their own international and or English programs? If all you need is a degree from anywhere I mean and your girl is here anyways, can wait a year or so.

Malaysia with its religious restrictions does not seem appealing.

You got dough and stamina. Have you considered then finishing your degree in Europe? Find sister schools of the University of Virginia for starters, so what you have done counts. There are many countries there that offer free or practically free tuition. Your girl will also have better prospects, be closer to home will make brownie points with the parents.

Just saying.

“… and use a spitoon to do number 2”

My school has let me try to finish my remaining credits here if I can find the acceptable replacement. I’ve worked with NTU and NCCU who partners up with my school in the US. Unfortunately the last remaining credits are very intense and specific and i can’t find replacements my school can accept. I’ve tried this route and worked with my school. It just isn’t possible in Taiwan.

My 2nd option is to transfer into a Taiwan school and take 2 years and transfer most of my credits. However I can not be accepted as an international student and have to take the national exam in Chinese so.

I’ve really given the school thing a lot of thoughts and tried many ways. I didn’t just stupidly say hey let’s go to Malaysia.

Again, this isn’t some local Malaysia school. It’s an British international schools branch that’s just built.