Anyone lived in Malaysia before?

So you wouldn’t agree that New York and L.A. are international cities?

Honorable Cow is serious?

The twin epicenters of American culture and commerce are not the real America. :grandpa:

I wonder what you think of London, Paris, Rome… I suppose even Singapore is not the real Singapore because it’s international. And KL?

They must be kind of desperate then since Indonesia has some of the lowest medical coverage in Asia. I guess it’s because of Chinese quotas or something.

Not me, I’d be doing something else with that kind of money. Probably blowing it on some business venture or foundation. Maybe go to an ivy league. Now if money was no object I would use it to buy up rainforest in Indonesia or Malaysia to protect it.

Now you’re putting words in my mouth. I didn’t say they weren’t the real America, I said they were borderline American–two international metropoli, lying at the eastern and western extremes of the country.

For a lovely anti-American lass like Andrew’s girlfriend, these are places that would likely provide an experience better suited to her delicate European sensitivities.

The Malay Malaysians that prefer to study medical school in Indonesia.
The Chinese Malaysians usually prefer to study in Taiwan.

It is not about the medical coverage, but the assumed quality of the school.

Why can’t you be accepted as international if you have US passport? I had several classmates with both US or UK passport and ROC at Chengta.

I meant that the Indonesian medical system seems like one of the worst in Asia. Not everybody and everything, but in many ways…mostly because it is extremely underfunded.

They probably don’t have a ROC ID. Once you make one, you can’t. You can enter as a local student and transfer to be international.

That’s my guess too.

Let the girlfriend ( aka me ) join the discussion… :woman_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

So, Lilith, what do you think of US Americans?

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Andrew - Malaysia is a pretty good place. Costs are low and if you go local they are very cheap.

Universities here are OK. But as you say, you are just after some degree so you can qualify for a visa.

You may want to look into finishing your credits at a school abroad to transfer back to your US school to graduate. Just ask them and tell them your situation. US schools don’t like to have students on the books that didn’t graduate.

Or look for the school over here that will accept the most credits from your US school (this is always negotiable with the schools).

Malaysia allows you to work part time on as student visa. So does Australia and NZ if you haven’t looked that way.

I was faced with a similar situation. I was studying abroad and hadn’t finished my degree. I was hired on in Asia and was quickly promoted. I had a great job but had to quit to go back to the US to finish my damn degree.

As far as your female not wanting to live in the US - I understand her. We won’t want to live there either. But Italy has its own issues and Taiwan is probably higher up the food chain than Italy at this point.

Keep in mind women will complain no matter what.

1 Like

The plot thickens. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hell, I’m American and I wouldn’t want to live there.

Aren’t there like a bunch of US universities abroad? Honestly, I’d rather study in Hong Kong or even China.

US used to be the place to go for education and advancement. Currently…not. I used to have a bunch of fellow college students working there. All but the ones married to US citizens have opted to leave over the years due to deteriorating conditions. I was talking the other day to one of the professors who coordinated the exchange programs and who taught 15 years in a major US east coast university. He left like 5 years ago. He said it was becoming unbearable and can’t imagine what people in academia go through now.

Plot twist: the Americans turn out to be more anti-American than the supposedly Anti-American Italian woman. :hushed:

Actually I don’t really think anything as a whole and therefore cannot judge because even though I did live in SF for two years, I was young and honestly haven’t been in the US for quite a long time. All I can see is the situation depicted from the media, which isn’t all that accurate and is pretty biased and corrupted.
I am though guilty of judging behavior of some Americans in Taipei lol ( not only Americans, foreigners in general) but I do not associate it with the country itself.
I am Italian citizen, and honestly if I judged my country based on the Italians in Taipei I would be depicting my country quite awfully lol

1 Like

@_Lilith doesn’t want to go. I’ve thought about many of these options. I would like her to get an education, and she found a program she likes in the school in Malaysia.

She also decided to join our little community. I don’t know how I feel about it.

I believe the wages are incredibly low though.

I’ve told her I’d be 100% down to go to Italy for school. I thought it would also make her feel happy being back at her home country. She left and bounced around for many years. I thought maybe she would like to take the time to reconnect with her home like I did coming back to Taiwan.